Date: 29-03-24  Time: 11:10 am

Author Topic: How do I re-install the downpipes on an FZ6?!  (Read 1416 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
How do I re-install the downpipes on an FZ6?!
« on: 27 May 2019, 08:59:26 pm »
Ok, so I gave up trying to swap the OEM header studs for new stainless ones and decided to just re-mount the down pipes.
Except now I've got another problem...  :(
The whole reason for my starting this was that the connection between the cat pipe and the one that leads from the headers, down underneath the engine was blowing, presumably because, when I had the new engine installed (see an old thread) the workshop didn't have the right gasket, so bodged it with exhaust bandage.
I've put the new gasket in, it's a very snug fit, but now I've to got try to get the headers into the sockets on the cylinder head and, at the same time, get the rear end into the bottom of the cat pipe.
Except I can't get them to line up!
 The Haynes manual says do the header end first, then push the rear end into the cat pipe,  but when I put the headers in, the rear end is about half an inch out of place. probably because the tail end is about 2 inches deep.

I've looked at the idea of putting the cat end in first, but, because it's a very snug fit on the gasket, it won't go in easily and I don't want to just bash it into place with a rubber mallet because that will foc up the gasket.
So can anyone suggest what I can do to get this sorted...?

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: How do I re-install the downpipes on an FZ6?!
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2019, 07:43:32 pm »
There are a few videos on u/tube showing this,I just typed in fitting exhausts on FZ6.
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 07:45:06 pm by coffee »
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2019, 09:15:24 pm »
I recently fitted a no cat link pipe and scorpion outlets on mine. I think from memory, you may be better off fitting the headers to the bike first, then slding the cat on followed by the end cans

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2019, 01:32:53 am »
The thing is, it was only the headers (down as far as the cat pipe) that I'd removed.

They came off without touching the cat pipe etc, so (you'd think) they'd go back on again pretty easily...!

I asked on a dedicated FZ6 forum and also phone Yam UK and both suggested removing the mounting bolts on the cat pipe which should (hopefully!) let me swing it far enough forward to get the end of the downpipes in place without needing to dismantle half the back of the bike.

Unfortunately, Yam UK also said I really need to replace the cylinder head gaskets too, so I ordered some off eBay which should have arrived today (they promised Fast and Free), but then they didn't mark the new gaskets as dispatched until about 8pm yesterday evening.

So today I've been unable to do a thing with it :(

Hopefully they'll turn up tomorrow and I can get this sorted...

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2019, 12:52:38 am »
Why would you need to replace the cylinder head gaskets!?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2019, 09:21:45 am »
No doubt copper crush O rings which can really only be used once.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2019, 11:31:44 am »
No doubt copper crush O rings which can really only be used once.

Yep.

And the ones I ordered "Fast and Free" (hah!) off eBay on Tuesday morning have *finally* bloody well arrived (posted second class!) so I can get on with trying to fix the damn exhaust.

After I've written some bad feedback for the seller...  :2guns

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2019, 08:44:05 pm »
Still don't understand why you would disturb the cylinder head?you are talking about the head and block?yes? Maybe Iam missing something here aren't the exhaust pipes just connected to stubs on the engine? if so I can see no reason to disturb the head ,are the crush washers you are on about the ones that the exhausts press up against?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2019, 09:34:00 pm »
Still don't understand why you would disturb the cylinder head?

I phrased that badly. I meant the gaskets where the exhaust headers go into the cylinder head.

It was actually the *second* set of header gaskets arrived today, I'd paid extra for 1st class delivery, but the seller sent them by 2nd class post! At least he gave me a refund...  (the first ones I ordered still haven't appeared)

After a lot of faff and hassle (involving a bradawl, thin screwdriver and a hammer!) I got the old header gaskets out, but then trying to get all of the new ones to stay in at the same time, even with Copper Slip to "stick" them in place, was seriously frustrating, however, eventually I got them into place and managed to get the headers into place too.

I'd taken the bolts off holding the cat pipe in place and, fortunately, there was indeed enough movement to allow me to line up the bottom of the cat pipe with the end of the exhaust that comes from the headers.

Unfortunately, after even more swearing and cursing, I simply could *not* get the one into the other and, since the lower edge of the cat pipe gasket was now seriously mangled, I pulled it out and decided to try the second replacment one I'd bought.

Except, by this time, I'd almost run out of the tiny pot of Copper Slip, so had to go up to Halfrauds to get some more (£7.99 for a bloody big tub that will probably last me about 20 years...)

So what I'm going to do tomorrow is put the new gasket on the end of the pipe from the headers and *then* put the whole thing into the cat pipe which, I think, will be easier.

Fingers crossed...!
« Last Edit: 31 May 2019, 09:35:31 pm by Grahamm »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2019, 10:28:23 pm »
Sounds like I had it easy when I did the same job on my Triumph the other week. The old gaskets came out using a heavy duty pick(not axe :lol ), one of my few Snap On tools, and managed to tap the new ones into place with a suitable sized socket.
When it all goes sweet as a nut tomorrow you will be quite pleased with your achievement, so go to the pub and chill out with a few pints :thumbup .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2019, 04:33:05 pm »
Well I've given up :(

I took out the bolt on the cat pipe, took the old gasket out, put the new one on the end of that goes into the cat pipe and spread a load of copper slip over both.

Unfortunately I still couldn't get them to line up properly and the edge of the gasket caught against the end of the cat pipe and despite trying to push it under with a thin blade screwdriver or press it down to give more space, I couldn't get it to work and now this gasket is on the way to getting buggered too.

I'm going to need the bike working next Friday, so I'm going to take it into the workshop to get them to fix it or, at least, do another temporary fix with exhaust bandage again to make it properly rideable.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2019, 08:18:18 pm »
Now here's a thing...!

I was also posting about this on a worldwide FZ6 Forum on Facebook and it turns out there was a biker who literally lives just a few miles away and who'd been taking apart bikes and putting them back together for about 30 years (he'd just rebuilt an FZ6 he'd bought with a broken frame), so he offered to come and have a look at it.
Within very short order he'd got the rear end apart (which would probably have taken me several hours) giving a lot more leeway to manoeuvre and then we had fun trying to sort the bloody gasket out again.
Finally, after looking at it and checking measurements etc, he found the problem: The one I was getting was the wrong size!!

The difference is literally a matter of millimetres, but the one which I supposedly needed, according to all the searches I'd done and Fazer parts catalogues etc, that had the code 3XW-14714-00 is just a millimetre too thick at 45 x 50 x 35 (internal diameter, external diameter and height)
This meant that, although it would it either into the cat pipe or into the one from the headers, there wasn't enough space for all three bits to fit together because the pipe from the headers would make it bulge out just a little bit too much to fit into the cat pipe.

We've found another one on eBay from M&P which is 46 x 50 x 34.5 and (fingers crossed) when it arrives, everything will fit together properly.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2019, 08:19:21 pm by Grahamm »

coffee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2019, 11:51:32 pm »
unbelievable! that bloke could have lived anywhere!what a result,hope everything goes ok after this nightmare. :)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 June 2019, 09:35:37 pm »
Just to finish this thread off, the guy came back this afternoon and the new gasket was exactly the right size.

My bike is now back together and running sweetly, just in time to go to Devon (as long as I can avoid the seriously heavy rain tomorrow!)

He didn't even ask me for a penny, but he did mention he was trying to get hold of an FZ6 gearbox, so since I've got the old engine on which the big end went, I told him he could have that one free of charge!

Top bloke :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 June 2019, 08:07:07 am »
Now THAT'S what this forum is all about.
Well done guys - respect.
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2019, 08:35:36 am »
Now THAT'S what this forum is all about.
Well done guys - respect.

LOL that was the FZ6 forum ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)