Date: 16-04-24  Time: 15:18 pm

Author Topic: Live wire  (Read 1155 times)

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
Live wire
« on: 21 May 2017, 08:55:55 pm »
I was changing my rear fender for a new one from Fowlers and I noticed a bolt sticking out the rear bodywork on the LHS. I was horrified to find this unisulated bolt wired direct to the live terminal of the bike! Why the food would someone do this? It was obviously thought about as they had wound a piece of 2.5mm red insulate ire round the live terminal and taped it up. Anyway it's off before it had a chance to short the battery out.  New fender in so the battery has somewhere to sit securely at last. I'm slowly getting the bike back to standard.

The battery was originally wedged in with rags and both terminals were insulated with children's shoe insoles ffs.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
Re: Live wire
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 11:57:43 pm »
I was changing my rear fender for a new one from Fowlers and I noticed a bolt sticking out the rear bodywork on the LHS. I was horrified to find this unisulated bolt wired direct to the live terminal of the bike! Why the food would someone do this? It was obviously thought about as they had wound a piece of 2.5mm red insulate ire round the live terminal and taped it up. Anyway it's off before it had a chance to short the battery out.  New fender in so the battery has somewhere to sit securely at last. I'm slowly getting the bike back to standard.

The battery was originally wedged in with rags and both terminals were insulated with children's shoe insoles ffs.

It's amazing the shit some previous owners do to a bike.
Just bought an FZS 1000 (Gen 1) a month ago, proper rats nest of Meta alarm wiring bodging, it' all out now thank fook,  lots of hrs spent pulling every loom multi-plug apart to remove corrosion, switch gear too, bike electrics have been better, just on wi fettling the usual scabby bits, just fitted a NOS R6 rear shock from a race bike (Yellow spring too) stainless dog bones, replacing as many bolts as poss with stainless,new tyres, just painted wheels.
Might drop the motor over winter & repaint it.

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2017, 06:45:15 am »
Which R6 shock fits?

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2017, 01:38:18 pm »
Which R6 shock fits?
Check the FAQ there is a link to Luke's page in the suspension upgrade section that explains this.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2017, 04:49:44 pm »
Which R6 shock fits?

The one off the 2012/13 S1000RR with the silver fork  :lol