Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:57 am

Author Topic: new boiler advice  (Read 2666 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
new boiler advice
« on: 21 June 2015, 07:18:33 am »
just a quickie foccers,looking to replace my central heating boiler for a more efficient one,old one 20 + years old and bils are a bit steep  :eek ..got a quote for .......worcester bosch 15RI heat only boiler
                                                                             worcester bosch magnetic filter
                                                                             honeywell ST699 programmer
                                                                             honeywell wired digital room stat

all fitted and working with 8 yr gaurentee on boiler....comes in at £2320.....any good ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: new boiler advice
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2015, 11:45:55 am »
That's cheap as chip,,good value,,with the extra guarantee its good.
There are cheaper makes of boiler but Worcester are the masters of gas.  (not oil) :)

You will get the system flushed (sealed system I hope) if not sealed then get it done,its a must. Inhibitor put in,,double it up 2 years on and bobs your uncle.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2015, 12:00:23 pm »
That seems a good price Red.  Our system is Microbore and our boiler is Italian,  I forget the name but when we tried to have it serviced the chap refused to touch it as he said it would break and then getting parts would be a nightmare.  Anyway its still running 10 years on and we're just waiting for it to fail so we can replace it with a better make.  Do Worcester do boiler for Microbore I wonder?
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2015, 12:51:40 pm »
There are cheaper makes of boiler but Worcester are the masters of gas.  (not oil) :)

You will get the system flushed (sealed system I hope) if not sealed then get it done,its a must. Inhibitor put in,,double it up 2 years on and bobs your uncle.

Hi mr willy, yep, flush and inhibitor included in the price, sealed pressurised system has a red, steel baloon thingy in the airing cupboard...hope that means more to you tham me  :lol......plumber comes recomended from a happy customer, nice bloke...I'll phone him tomorrow and book the job in....was going to push him for a free first service, but if its cheap as chips I wont push my luck....cheers for reply mr willy, teas on me next time I head your way... :thumbup

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2015, 12:57:19 pm »
That seems a good price Red.  Our system is Microbore and our boiler is Italian,  I forget the name but when we tried to have it serviced the chap refused to touch it as he said it would break and then getting parts would be a nightmare.  Anyway its still running 10 years on and we're just waiting for it to fail so we can replace it with a better make.  Do Worcester do boiler for Microbore I wonder?

hi fireblake....sounds like you got you moneys worth with your boiler, mines still working after 20 ish years its just not as efficient as a new one.....been putting it off for a while as like you was waiting for it to break, but knowing my luck it would go mid winter and I do like to be warm and cozy....not sure about your worcester/microbore question but I bet someone else on here knows    :rolleyes

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2015, 12:59:47 pm »
That is why this site is so good.  So many intelligent knowledgeable people.  Some Dick heads too, but hey, we help the world go around.
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2015, 01:52:28 pm »

What is the preference for sealed, some of the sealed ones I have come across at work are more trouble than they are worth

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2015, 03:13:56 pm »
Re, micro bore, as far as I know, (it's 15 years since I was in the trade) there's no difference to the type of boiler, it's the way the water is fed to the radiators, on micro bore the 22mm flow and return pipes on the boiler go to manifolds and then there's a microbore pipe to each radiator so as each rad has its own flow and return the pipes can be smaller. On the other system the flow and return pipes feed more than one rad start out at 22mm then reduce down to 15mm for the last 3 or 4 depending on the size of them.
Microbore can be easier to install as the pipes can be threaded in like cable with no joints and some other reasons which I can't recall? hope this helps.
EDIT........... both these systems need to be designed to prevent pump overload i.e. all the valves are closed and the pump is running.
« Last Edit: 21 June 2015, 03:24:39 pm by chaz »

stevie-g1968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2015, 09:02:07 pm »
Thats not a bad price, the company I work for are worcester accredited too so we offer the 8 years with the filter too. Maybe you could get a quote from us too... that will give you an idea off how good that price is.
 Pm me if you want contact details... oh, and we are up in widmer end.
FOCing down under.......dodging vacant Skippy's.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2015, 10:00:56 pm »
A sealed system mean not open to the atmosphere so no open header    tank in the loft,,so no frost risk ,no build up of gunge in the open tank which can be sucked into the system,no chance of oxygen being pulled into  the system causing rust,and pressure gauge lets you know if the system is water tight,
Another thing is that most red expansion vessels are usually shot by 8 to  10 years,maybe do a pressure test on that when system is down.

All boilers are suitable for micro bore,,the pumps are all good for any pipe size.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 June 2015, 06:48:01 am »
cheers mr willy...phoning the plmber today,will mention the pressure test on the expansion vessels,this was fitted approx 4 years ago but be good to check....cheers fella,thats another tea IOU ;)