Date: 19-04-24  Time: 16:23 pm

Author Topic: Scottoiler positioning on swing arm gen 1  (Read 1288 times)

The Yooge

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Scottoiler positioning on swing arm gen 1
« on: 10 November 2016, 06:19:46 pm »
Have read a lot of posts and seen pics of scottoilers all over the place but how tf does the tube position on the swingarm?
Have seen zip ties (ugly) holes drilled (there is a drain hole right where I'd like to tap into) the kit (which wasn't free) from Scottoiler suggests running it off the chain guard rear bolt but it's too far from bottom of sprocket and a few bends in the way.
Anyone got the best solution?

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: Scottoiler positioning on swing arm gen 1
« Reply #1 on: 10 November 2016, 08:37:09 pm »
I asked the dealer to fit mine decades ago and they drilled a hole in the underside of the swingarm and tapped a 6mm thread into it. The Scottoiler is mounted behind the number plate and tubing is run down the frame rail to near the swingarm pivot, then through the chain guard and runs along and under the swingarm so it's out of sight. A perfect and simple solution, I think, it never gets in the way and being screwed in is properly secure. It's been on there for 150,000 miles and it's still working perfectly. I'll be doing the same on my new Gen 1.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2016, 08:52:00 pm by AyJay »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2016, 08:37:38 am »
I made a bracket and run it off the expansion bottle left hand mounting screw so it drips onto the top of the chain just before the front sprocket.  It does its job perfectly there and invisible.

My bike had a dual nozzle fitted onto the rear sprocket when I got it, I found that my dual nozzle kept blocking and I occasionally knocked it out of position when cleaning and forgetting to repos it.  It seems a lot of people have different experiences with the scottoilers, some having one issue while another never does, but has another issue etc.  I gave up on the dual nozzle and moved it to where it is now.
Intentionally left blank

The Yooge

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2016, 05:28:00 pm »
Thanks, that's a lot of help, I've wondered about fitting it for front sprocket oiling, less chance of oiling the tyre or like you say knocking it when "cleaning"! Drilling and tapping the swingarm and making a bracket was going to be it but would need to take back wheel off to get the drill and tapper in, don't fancy extra holes in a stressed member either. I'll have a butchers at the front job cheers, happy riding