Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:57 pm

Author Topic: Radiators...  (Read 3010 times)

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
Radiators...
« on: 19 September 2016, 08:09:12 pm »
So my radiator on this thou i recently bought, i took it off and its in a terrible state, mainly the areas where the bolts that hold the fan on and the grill on locate....

I may be able to do without the grill screws as a new cover may attach to the sides but need to look, anyway, anyone used one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiator-Cooling-Aluminum-Replacement-for-YAMAHA-FZS1000-1998-2003-99-00-01-2002/191426969196?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3D6ac46483633345e08cd4aa1e2d59b37a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122135550568

Might be easier all round replacing it..

Anutz

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: Radiators...
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2016, 08:16:11 pm »
Try the search function.. I've posted at least twice about this very radiator.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,20717.msg238700.html#msg238700

It's very much thinner than the OE version, but I've had one on my bike for 14,000 miles no problems. I gave it several coats of paint extra before fitting it and it's in tip top condition still, so I think it'll last several years yet.

You will need the fixings from the old radiator though (or buy new), so good luck getting them off...you'll need it. And a lot of heat from a blowtorch!

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 September 2016, 10:18:18 pm »
thanks for the reply.

Wont lie i dont use search as much as i should....but then.....anyway

When u say fixings, you mean nuts/bolts etc...

That does not bother me, as long as it works...

When you say thinner, do you mean in volume...?

Thanks

Anutz

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 September 2016, 10:38:04 pm »
ok so bought one....will see what happens, mines well shot and not paying similar prices for another one that is off an old thou....

anutz

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2016, 09:11:16 pm »
Yeah, by thinner I mean the aluminium seems thinner everywhere. Flick the core with a fingernail and it rings rather than thuds, the tangs to which you fit the fan are visibly thinner and the fins aren't as dense. As I said, mine's been on for ages and no problems, but it feels an 80 quid part, not a 400 odd Yamaha part.

But hey, it works well, no overheating, hasn't fallen apart. I'm happy!

As for the fastenings, it's the little clamps for the fan mounting I was talking about. They'll be a twat to get off if they were anything like mine, but they're standard fixings so loads on eBay and the like.

And no probs about the searches! This site is amazingly full of interesting facts and fixes and you'll be missing out if you don't search for stuff.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2016, 09:21:39 pm »
thanks for the info....

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2016, 06:42:35 pm »
So...

Radiator arrived, it is a lot lighter/thinner, but still seems fine...

Managed to use the Rubber bushings off the old one, and some nuts and bolts i have to get it sorted...

Got the Fan off by angle grinding away the screws, and the same for the grill.....so have re-used the lot after a little spray paint.

Fits nicely so far, but need to actually use it - not yet as still putting carbs in, but so far happy with it...

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2016, 08:15:32 pm »
Smart. They're ok for what they are, aren't they?

Did you give a couple of extra coats of paint whilst its off the bike? Well worth it if you're going to be riding in winter.

Turns out mine has just done what your's did - dumped its coolant into the sump. It's off to the happy bike dealer next week.... I couldn't face ripping the water pump out of the sump...

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2016, 08:40:13 pm »
I think they are a bargin so far - as long as it works  :lol

No issues with its construction, its lighter but sound all the same.

Not painted it again, may give it a few coats of hammerite tmrw i think, or some exhaust paint i have as well....will see....

but happy so far and arrived really quickly as well

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2016, 08:54:46 pm »
hope the pump fixes ok, was a challenge but i think its gone ok, will only know when i get the carbs in tmrw/next day and the rest back togther, then i can crank it over see if it blows up!

such a simple part to replace i.e. o-rings and seals, but what a lot of stuff to mess with, including the clutch out!!!!!

i also had issues with some exhaust headers, one snapped so i took the opportunity to get the head off and take it down the engine shop got 8 new SS studs in and also blanking off the AIS ports.

i did not pay too much for the bike but it was really really badly cared for, bearings shot, this coolant leak, general rotting and dirty/not serviced....

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2016, 08:23:59 pm »
I hope the pump gets fixed too. It's bloody strange. Like you I had a couple of snapped exhaust studs, so I whipped the engine out and took it down to the dealers. It was also a cheapish second hand buy and was working fine. I repainted the engine, fixed the EXUP, found a cheapish Ohlins and rebuilt the rear suspension, blanked off the AIS, Ivanised the carbs, greased everything, slapped the engine back in and on first start there were clouds of steam and water leaking from the drain hole at the bottom of the silencer. I mean puddling on the floor leaking.

Very weird. I'm not sure what's gone wrong, but after several weekends work I just couldn't face taking the sump and clutch off, so I'm getting the dealer to collect it and sort it out. The dealer said that water pumps seals are known to fail if a bike has been stood too long and this one has only done 30k miles in 14 years so who knows. Damned annoying though. Just as well it was cheap to buy and I hope I haven't connected a hose to the wrong part of the engine. Which is unlikely, as this is the third or fourth time I've taken engines out of Fazer 1000s. I dunno...

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2016, 08:40:17 pm »
I hope the pump gets fixed too. It's bloody strange. Like you I had a couple of snapped exhaust studs, so I whipped the engine out and took it down to the dealers. It was also a cheapish second hand buy and was working fine. I repainted the engine, fixed the EXUP, found a cheapish Ohlins and rebuilt the rear suspension, blanked off the AIS, Ivanised the carbs, greased everything, slapped the engine back in and on first start there were clouds of steam and water leaking from the drain hole at the bottom of the silencer. I mean puddling on the floor leaking.

Very weird. I'm not sure what's gone wrong, but after several weekends work I just couldn't face taking the sump and clutch off, so I'm getting the dealer to collect it and sort it out. The dealer said that water pumps seals are known to fail if a bike has been stood too long and this one has only done 30k miles in 14 years so who knows. Damned annoying though. Just as well it was cheap to buy and I hope I haven't connected a hose to the wrong part of the engine. Which is unlikely, as this is the third or fourth time I've taken engines out of Fazer 1000s. I dunno...

i am at that point now....any more major work and i would just not want to touch it, i hate the thing right now lol as its all i have done for past few weeks/few months.....

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2016, 08:11:40 pm »
there were clouds of steam and water leaking from the drain hole at the bottom of the silencer. I mean puddling on the floor leaking.

Very weird. I'm not sure what's gone wrong, but after several weekends work I just couldn't face taking the sump and clutch off, so I'm getting the dealer to collect it and sort it out. The dealer said that water pumps seals are known to fail if a bike has been stood too long

This happened to mine when I first bought my 1000 - water pump failure - spewed all the coolant out the drain hole onto the garage floor.  Fixed it myself with a 2nd hand waterpump assembly & the excellent Clymer Manual, but I also replaced the cylinder head as a precaution as she'd been boiling the coolant dry even on short runs. Then did the big valve clearance check whilst everything was apart.  Came to about £700 including all the OEM gaskets and ran faultlessly for another 12k miles before I sold her

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2016, 08:18:51 pm »
Yeah, I saw your pics on another post, kebab, and I've had a look for anything leaking onto the collector, but I saw nothing. The water was coming out of the silencer/muffler, so I thought water must be getting into the combustion chamber to be burnt suggesting head gasket, but as the bike shop said, if that was the case it wouldn't tick over nice and smoothly, which is does. It was sat there humming away smoothly at 1200 rpm, not a cough or a splutter.

I'll report back when I've had it fixed. I just hope it isn't 700 quid... I could get a 2nd hand engine for less!