Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:50 am

Author Topic: Preload fork spring adjusters  (Read 1426 times)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Preload fork spring adjusters
« on: 20 May 2020, 05:56:06 pm »
I'm going to be replacing the fork springs on my FZ6, (probably with these ones from Wirth) but whilst I was looking around, I found these adjusters:
https://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/0409-yamaha-fz6-fazer-cnc-billet-preload-fork-adjuster-p-306.html

They allow you to change the preload on the fork springs. I've also seen ones where you can adjust the preload on one fork leg and rebound on the other.

Has anyone used anything like these and would they be worth it for just regular riding?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Preload fork spring adjusters
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2020, 07:57:44 pm »
Haven't your forks got these anyway? Every bike I've ever owned has had adjustable forks?

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2020, 08:32:30 pm »
if you can match the thread/diamter up to something else, there are loads of cheap CNC adjusters on eblag.

something like this, but probably not this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Aluminum-Motorcycle-Preload-Adjusters-Fork-Bolts-Fit-for-Yamaha-YZF-R3-R25/123889478594?hash=item1cd8636bc2:g:6VoAAOSw-a9ekLgJ

Worth checking the american FZ sites to see if someone has done it and found a match.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2020, 08:44:59 pm »
if you can match the thread/diamter up to something else, there are loads of cheap CNC adjusters on eblag.

something like this, but probably not this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Aluminum-Motorcycle-Preload-Adjusters-Fork-Bolts-Fit-for-Yamaha-YZF-R3-R25/123889478594?hash=item1cd8636bc2:g:6VoAAOSw-a9ekLgJ

Worth checking the american FZ sites to see if someone has done it and found a match.

Cool, diahorrea coloured preload adjusters :lol

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2020, 01:00:07 pm »
Off the top of my head the FZ6 doesn't have adjustable preload as standard.  These adjusters will give you very little in real work feel and they'll will not be matched to the fork damping, you may as well add a stack of 2p on top of the spring.

As for redound damping again the fork isn't fitted with this option as standard.  The whole damping unit, would either need replacing or serious re-engineering to have it adjustable which wouldn't be worth cost, if you could get it done. 

If you really want a fully adjustable front end, you need to look at fitting something from a R6/R1.  It may be possible to just change the whole front end, yokes/forks/calipers/wheel etc, but this would need to be carefully checked.  I don't know of anyone doing that mod, to an FZ6, probably as it's just not worth the cost/effort and it will just emphasise how bad the back is.

If you just want to improve what it there, look at Hargon or Hyperpro springs.  Again any improvement you make to the front will expose the rear shock, as standard they are crap.  You could replace that too and then you'll have a sweet handling bike once properly set up for you but not cheap about £700 ish.       
Later

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2020, 06:10:04 pm »
Haven't your forks got these anyway? Every bike I've ever owned has had adjustable forks?

Nope, the stock FZ6 has no adjustment :(

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2020, 06:13:21 pm »
These adjusters will give you very little in real work feel and they'll will not be matched to the fork damping, you may as well add a stack of 2p on top of the spring.

As for redound damping again the fork isn't fitted with this option as standard.  The whole damping unit, would either need replacing or serious re-engineering to have it adjustable which wouldn't be worth cost, if you could get it done. 

Ok, thanks for that.

I think the R6 fork mod is going to be too much hassle.

Also, as you mention, Hyperpro springs are foccing expensive, that's why I'm looking at the Wirth ones because they'll be a lower-priced improvement the OEM ones.

Thanks, everyone for your comments :thumbup

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2020, 06:19:40 pm »
Take a look at Hargon. If you do just the front it will expose the rear and that often means you think doing the front has had no effect.
Later

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2020, 11:37:21 am »
Ive been thinking hard about fitting Andreani front fork kit to my S2 fazer,a dn an upgraded rear shock too. Around £1,000 I reckon all in. Then the other factors need thinking about, like should a sell the bike, add the £1k and buy a bike that already has adjustable suspension. But are there any in that price range that have it, and would it be as comfortable, reliable, cheap to run and insure etc etc etc. I end up going round i circles and just cant decide

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2020, 01:21:21 pm »
All Fazer's are built to a tight budget and a lot of the savings are on the suspension components.  The front end isn't really much better than bikes of the 70's, the rear is cheap as chips unit, with awful damping, many are knackered with by 8k and you can't really set up the bike for anyone of more than 70kg at most.

Sorting as I've mentioned will greatly improve the bike, with the ability to set in up for you, making it far more planted and confidence inspiring.  Just changing the rear shock for a quality unit, is a transformation on it's own.

As you say would anything else be any better, probably not, spending £700 odd to make the bike feel like a new bike is probably a better and cheaper option than spending a 2K. 

Later

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2020, 10:34:59 pm »
Take a look at Hargon. If you do just the front it will expose the rear and that often means you think doing the front has had no effect.

I've got a YSS shock for the rear (see my thread in the FZ6 area) :thumbup