Date: 24-04-24  Time: 19:57 pm

Author Topic: Fazer 600 02 sprocket nut/thread  (Read 2471 times)

MC900

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Fazer 600 02 sprocket nut/thread
« on: 28 June 2020, 08:49:25 am »
Hi guys I've looked about and seen this issue seems to be quite common. I was on the way home on the motorway the other day and lost all drive, before that the home was making like a buzzing noise which I guess was that.

Now the garage has had a look at it and told me the thread is fucked. He has had to order a 17mm and 16mm tap/die, 17mm being from China as he said it's hard to find so I'll have to wait a month before I will know if it can be fixed. If the 17mm doesn't work he is gonna try and go down a size to the 16mm.

Other than that what are my options? Bike has done 36k and I'm surprised this has happened as it's not that many miles and I'd expect better from Yamaha. This also makes me not want to buy another Fazer incase it happens again,which is a shame because they are sick bikes.

If what he is trying doesn't work what should I do with the bike? Now I need to try and find a new used bike asap for work :(

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer 600 02 sprocket nut/thread
« Reply #1 on: 28 June 2020, 10:00:58 am »
Sorry to hear about your problem matey but it's not too uncommon all the info you need is here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=92.0 and here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=22656.msg261329#msg261329 Have a good read the latter has a copy of the tech bulletin in the thread.  From what your saying you are going to need a new sprocket shaft  :(  come back if you've got any questions :)

I'm not sure what your garage is telling you ref 17- 16mm these are easy to get hold of in the UK and the thread isn't 17mm it's 17.5mm which is also easy to obtain in the UK.  I hope he isn't charging you storage?  If he is I'd get your bike back and go elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: 28 June 2020, 10:22:00 am by Gnasher »
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2020, 10:20:44 am »
You must take into account that the link Gnasher has put up is from 2011 when the issue was properly being addressed full on, but also that you're the first person in quite a few years now that have brought this problem up on here.

After pages and pages of discussions, some got the shaft replaced (courtesy of Yamaha), others used extra strong Loctite, spot welds, etc.

But although still not perfect by any means, because it was primarily a shaft thread issue, the main thing that calmed down more reports of it happening had to be the replacing of the OEM 9mm sprocket nut with the newer 12mm one.

Obviously that doesn't apply to 100% of bikes by any means. It would seem that at least the 98 (maybe 99) versions were unaffected, and others simply haven't had the issue at all.
On my bike the 9mm nut fused itself onto the shaft, rather than come loose, so was a complete bugger to get off when i had my sprockets and chain changed.

My point though is that i wouldn't let it put you off buying another Fazer by any means. You've been very unlucky admittedly, but it really is rare to hear of that nut/shaft failure on here these days. As long as that new 12mm nut is used then it seems to have done the trick.  :thumbup 
« Last Edit: 28 June 2020, 10:22:18 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2020, 10:51:20 am »
You must take into account that the link Gnasher has put up is from 2011 when the issue was properly being addressed full on, but also that you're the first person in quite a few years now that have brought this problem up on here.

After pages and pages of discussions, some got the shaft replaced (courtesy of Yamaha), others used extra strong Loctite, spot welds, etc.

But although still not perfect by any means, because it was primarily a shaft thread issue, the main thing that calmed down more reports of it happening had to be the replacing of the OEM 9mm sprocket nut with the newer 12mm one.

Obviously that doesn't apply to 100% of bikes by any means. It would seem that at least the 98 (maybe 99) versions were unaffected, and others simply haven't had the issue at all.
On my bike the 9mm nut fused itself onto the shaft, rather than come loose, so was a complete bugger to get off when i had my sprockets and chain changed.

My point though is that i wouldn't let it put you off buying another Fazer by any means. You've been very unlucky admittedly, but it really is rare to hear of that nut/shaft failure on here these days. As long as that new 12mm nut is used then it seems to have done the trick.  :thumbup

Many bikes got away with not being effected until they replaced their chain/sprocket.  Nearly all bikes effected with OE chain/sprockets, just came loose, or if not noticed, undone and the sprocket cover stopped the nut coming off, but the longer you didn't hear/notice the lose nut the more damage to the thread. Eventually the cover would wear and the nut dropped off, possibly taking the sprocket with it  :eek  98 & 99 are effected mine was/is a 98, mine just came loose.  Most could be sorted by as you say loctite and you only need nut lock ;) but this had to be before the threads destroyed themselves. 

I wouldn't recommend spot welding other than for emergency and you intended to replace the shaft, but you can and grid off the spots each time you change the sprocket.  The latter can be false economy, if the threads are worn too much and you can't nip up the sprocket properly before welding, there's a high risk the sprocket won't be aligned to the shaft and rear sprocket and will eat the chain in short order.

The new nut works fine if the thread is in spec, if not it's a new shaft. :(

Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2020, 11:24:38 am »

Many bikes got away with not being effected until they replaced their chain/sprocket.  Nearly all bikes effected with OE chain/sprockets, just came loose, or if not noticed, undone and the sprocket cover stopped the nut coming off, but the longer you didn't hear/notice the lose nut the more damage to the thread. Eventually the cover would wear and the nut dropped off, possibly taking the sprocket with it  :eek  98 & 99 are effected mine was/is a 98, mine just came loose.  Most could be sorted by as you say loctite and you only need nut lock ;) but this had to be before the threads destroyed themselves. 

I wouldn't recommend spot welding other than for emergency and you intended to replace the shaft, but you can and grid off the spots each time you change the sprocket.  The latter can be false economy, if the threads are worn too much and you can't nip up the sprocket properly before welding, there's a high risk the sprocket won't be aligned to the shaft and rear sprocket and will eat the chain in short order.

The new nut works fine if the thread is in spec, if not it's a new shaft. :(

That's interesting that your 98 suffered, as that was one of Fazersharps goals to try and find one that was affected and I don't recall anyone mentioning it on here before either.

You were probably part of the discussions anyway, it's been a while, but what were your views on the new torque setting with the 12mm nut?

9mm was 70Nm, and it was recommended the 12mm had 90Nm.
I was one of many who were a bit wary of this because of the thread and plumped for 80Nm which I've stuck with and it's been fine.
« Last Edit: 28 June 2020, 11:52:55 am by darrsi »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 June 2020, 11:34:10 am »
Hi guys I've looked about and seen this issue seems to be quite common. I was on the way home on the motorway the other day and lost all drive, before that the home was making like a buzzing noise which I guess was that.

Now the garage has had a look at it and told me the thread is fucked. He has had to order a 17mm and 16mm tap/die, 17mm being from China as he said it's hard to find so I'll have to wait a month before I will know if it can be fixed. If the 17mm doesn't work he is gonna try and go down a size to the 16mm.

Other than that what are my options? Bike has done 36k and I'm surprised this has happened as it's not that many miles and I'd expect better from Yamaha. This also makes me not want to buy another Fazer incase it happens again,which is a shame because they are sick bikes.

If what he is trying doesn't work what should I do with the bike? Now I need to try and find a new used bike asap for work :(

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=43

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2020, 11:57:41 am »
That's interesting that your 98 suffered, as that was one of Fazer sharps goals to try and find one that was affected and I don't recall anyone mentioning it on here before either.
That's right it was my pet quest to find a 98 that had the issue and not one was found, a few times it was said "mine came loose" but then it turned out that it had a replacement some time ago - as mos 98s would of done. So fitter error cannot be ruled out.

My requirements were that the bike had to be a 98 with an untouched OEM factory fitted chainset, and not one was found that met that criteria and came loose. 

SO @Gnasher was your 98 sprocket the OEM factory fitted one.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2020, 11:57:59 am »
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=43

I knew you'd put something up about how you got around not changing the shaft mate, I just couldn't find it, doh.  :)
Later

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 June 2020, 11:59:57 am »
SO @Gnasher was your 98 sprocket the OEM factory fitted one.

It was mate, as were a few of the others I had in at the time.
Later

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2020, 12:06:44 pm »

Actually it was 2004, July I think it was.

That's interesting that your 98 suffered, as that was one of Fazer sharps goals to try and find one that was affected and I don't recall anyone mentioning it on here before either.

My names on the list Slidesvill compiled in 04, only it doesn't annotate its just lose.  Several bikes I had in over the coming months in 04 going forwards had the issue.  In fact I had seen it a few times before when about to change chains/sprocket for owners but put it done to reuse of the tab washer, incorrect torque and cheap front sprockets.  FZ6 and Thundercats also suffered too.     

You were probably part of the discussions anyway, it's been a while, but what we're your views on the new torque setting with the 12mm nut?

New nut new torque, but the thread had to be in spec and I did always use loctite (nut lock) never had any issues. 

Later

MC900

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2020, 12:51:22 pm »
Sorry to hear about your problem matey but it's not too uncommon all the info you need is here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=92.0 and here http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=22656.msg261329#msg261329 Have a good read the latter has a copy of the tech bulletin in the thread.  From what your saying you are going to need a new sprocket shaft  :(  come back if you've got any questions :)

I'm not sure what your garage is telling you ref 17- 16mm these are easy to get hold of in the UK and the thread isn't 17mm it's 17.5mm which is also easy to obtain in the UK.  I hope he isn't charging you storage?  If he is I'd get your bike back and go elsewhere.

He did say what he ordered cost about 20quid from china, where could he have got it from over here?

I dont feel like this bike will be getting fixed so im looking at buying a 04 fazer 1000 with 29k on it, would that bike have the same issue? I could get a fazer 600 again and if i replace the 9mm with the 12mm does that eliminate the problem completely?

Thanks for all the replies/help guys.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 June 2020, 01:35:22 pm »
A tap and dia set you can get from any decent tool supply outlet.

No FZS1000 don't suffer this issue.
Later

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 June 2020, 01:50:33 pm »
Several bikes I had in over the coming months in 04 going forwards had the issue.  In fact I had seen it a few times before when about to change chains/sprocket for owners but put it done to reuse of the tab washer, incorrect torque and cheap front sprockets. 

You see this is what I was saying, there were people saying "Me Too" and its a 98 but then its mentioned along in the post that its already been replaced once and not the original so not the oem factory fitted and so = fitter error cannot be ruled out . So could not find 1 single 98 with the issue. Apart from now when Gnasher is telling us his very own 98 with original untouched factory fitted sprocket had a loose nut. Where were you when I was sting in the discussions and searching for a 98 with the problem.   
« Last Edit: 28 June 2020, 01:53:08 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 June 2020, 02:14:57 pm »
Several bikes I had in over the coming months in 04 going forwards had the issue.  In fact I had seen it a few times before when about to change chains/sprocket for owners but put it done to reuse of the tab washer, incorrect torque and cheap front sprockets. 

You see this is what I was saying, there were people saying "Me Too" and its a 98 but then its mentioned along in the post that its already been replaced once and not the original so not the oem factory fitted and so = fitter error cannot be ruled out . So could not find 1 single 98 with the issue. Apart from now when Gnasher is telling us his very own 98 with original untouched factory fitted sprocket had a loose nut. Where were you when I was sting in the discussions and searching for a 98 with the problem.   

I've no idea mate, obviously missed it.  I've also had periods of not being on the forum over the years, work/life balance and being on other forums etc.

As said there was a few others, can't remember exactly but 3 - 4 ish.  As you know quite a few Fazer's are low mileage bikes as are many others, few 1000k a year at best some a few 100, around 04 many were coming up for new chains which is what I think triggered the issue.  As you know it's not an easy problem to detect at first unless you notice the nut is lose during cleaning/adjusting etc (as I did) or you remove the sprocket cover.  Many well oiled chains don't need adjust for a a good few 1000k which in some cases could be a few years. 

I defiantly had a few much earlier than 04 on higher mileage bikes, but put them down to what I stated earlier.     
Later

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 June 2020, 04:19:52 pm »

He did say what he ordered cost about 20quid from china, where could he have got it from over here?

I dont feel like this bike will be getting fixed so im looking at buying a 04 fazer 1000 with 29k on it, would that bike have the same issue? I could get a fazer 600 again and if i replace the 9mm with the 12mm does that eliminate the problem completely?

Thanks for all the replies/help guys.

This is what i was saying earlier, since word got round that everyone should really change the sprocket nut to the new 12mm version asap the subject has more or less faded away for quite a while now.
And as mentioned as long as any new sprocket/chain is fitted, Loctited and torqued competently then yes it does seem to have all worked out okay. 

MC900

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 July 2020, 05:31:41 pm »
Does this problem happen with the 2008 fazer abs model? Ive just bought one so would be good to know and maybe prevent it happening again. Thanks.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2020, 10:06:29 pm »
Does this problem happen with the 2008 fazer abs model? Ive just bought one so would be good to know and maybe prevent it happening again. Thanks.

I not heard of a similar problem with the S2 FZ6, so I would say no