Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:53 pm

Author Topic: Garage Lighting  (Read 1650 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Garage Lighting
« on: 17 August 2015, 08:46:32 pm »
Oh Foccer font of knowledge, my garage has 3 flourecent tube lights in in, a 1.2m one just in front of the up and over door, a 1.5m one about half way down and a couple of .5m ones above the work bench that are currently not working, so I've got about 120 watts of working light between the 2 tubes.

Now, I'm a bit of a tight git with electricity and I'm liking having LED bulbs all around the house that cost me next to nothing to run.

So, what can I go in my garage that would give the same even lighting with minimal shadows that you get the tubes that won't get me all twitchy every time I turn them on?

I see you can get LED tube lights, are they the way to go, do I need to change much or are they a straight swap for the existing tubes or is there a better/cheaper alternative, or should I just leave the tubes lights in there?

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: 17 August 2015, 08:47:43 pm by HarryHornby »
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Garage Lighting
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2015, 08:59:28 pm »
Almost the whole of Sharp hall is GU10  LEDs (SMDs) including the state room that has 15 bulbs at 4 watt each with each one giving about the same light as a 40watt halogen so that is a big saving. These are now £20 for 5 in screwfix
But I do not have any strip light LEDs but they are the same SMds that are in my lights but just in a straight line instead of a circle I think that you will find that the light given off of is more directional and possibly giving more shadows so you may find that you are better off adding more tubes and also go for the 6000k daylight ones   
« Last Edit: 17 August 2015, 10:09:11 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2015, 09:37:37 pm »
The led tubes produce less than half the lumens of a fluorescent tube , you could replace the single fluorescent with twin led tubes , that will roughly be about the same lumens , the fittings are coming down in price now and the led tubes do last a lot longer , but they won,t use that much less electricity .

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August 2015, 10:10:42 am »
As mentioned above, you have to work out what you need in lumens to match the tubes. Then compare wattage and work out actually how much the lights will cost you to use.
Then factor in the price of buying the LED's and bearing in mind how often you turn them on, see how many years it will take to break even!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 August 2015, 11:05:53 am »
I'd stick with the tubes, the only advantage with LEDs in that situation is in cold weather when discharge tubes can take a while to get to full brightness.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August 2015, 07:11:07 pm »
For all garage lighting questions please ask deadeye. Thank you :lol
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2015, 08:30:06 pm »
I can also arrange to keep your garage toasty warm throughout the winter periods  :evil :evil :evil

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2015, 10:36:35 pm »
I can also arrange to keep your garage toasty warm throughout the winter periods  :evil :evil :evil
  :rollin :lol
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2015, 03:12:22 pm »
Howsabout...............http://www.amazon.co.uk/Urban-Solar-Powered-Security-Light/dp/B00L8B7UY4/ref=sr_1_4?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1439993418&sr=1-4

you will need to put the solar panel on an outside wall but after purchase...........FREE LIGHTING !!!!!
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!