Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:59 pm

Author Topic: Wrong way lights  (Read 4631 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Wrong way lights
« on: 30 September 2019, 11:36:54 am »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong way lights
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2019, 11:37:25 am »
God only knows why I can't embed youtube videos anymore.
Well on second thoughts he won't becuase he doesn't exist - but lets not go there :lol
Just go the right way, whatever way that is :)
« Last Edit: 30 September 2019, 11:40:50 am by VNA »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2019, 11:53:47 am »
Well seems like an simple and obvious idea. My only worry is that if someone is stupid enough to not know they're on the wrong side of the road then  how can expect them to notice a sign.... or even be able to read for that matter :lol

Dynspud

• Club Racer
  • Rattle your goddamn head!!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - HD Dyna Wide Glide Evo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2019, 01:37:42 pm »
Does that road have No Entry signs to stop people turning in there in the first place?
Take a deep breath, coz it all starts now, when you pull the foccin' pin

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2019, 04:19:18 pm »
Yup all those slip roads have no entry signs.
But it happens.
Seems like a good idea to me.
Worked for the car in the youtube video - see article.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2019, 04:21:00 pm »
The problem with this is that the type of person who would get on the motorway and drive the wrong way is someone who is confused.

If/When they see the sign, what would they do? It is counter intuitive to pull over on the hard shoulder as for them, that's way over to the right hand side of the road so they are likely to stop where they are in what we see as the outside lane and potentially get out of their car into the face of oncoming fast traffic.
Someone with their wits about them would do a U-turn as soon as they safely could and get going the right way again. The people who are doing it though are unlikely to be thinking straight enough to do that.

I can see a need for it, but am not sure it will help.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2019, 04:23:12 pm »
Many years ago, my dad was involved in a head on collision with someone who had reached the bottom of the slip road and turned right (did a u-turn) instead of going the right way. They moved to what they thought was the nearside lane but actually ended up nose to nose with my dads car. This guy was in his 70's or 80's and was banned from driving as a result.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2019, 06:35:48 pm »
In Austria, they have signs on the slip roads that say "Falsch" which translates as "Not correct".

But the problem is that, for example, where someone is tired or bored or not paying attention for some other reason, you can have all the warning signs and flashing lights and people will *still* fail to notice them.

Here's a video that someone posted on another forum. There are warning signs, flashing lights etc, yet *still* people manage to wreck their vehicles by trying to drive under a bridge that's too low for them.

They built a steel U shape in front of it to prevent the bridge being damaged after too many idiots hit it...
« Last Edit: 30 September 2019, 06:36:26 pm by Grahamm »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2019, 08:47:19 pm »
 Can’t see your video Graham,

But the problem is that, for example, where someone is tired or bored or not paying attention for some other reason, you can have all the warning signs and flashing lights and people will *still* fail to notice them.

But if I can take you up on that point.  It can be a simple lapse of concentration, which all too often is at the heart of so many road traffic incidents.
And as we can see in the newspaper video – well it appears to work.  A big bright flashing no entry sign jumps out nowhere.
It’s being trialled at a number of junctions – presumably they have it set up to record whenever it is triggered to log results – so time will tell.
VNA thinks it will probably be effective.     Gotta be worth a shot. :)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2019, 11:40:35 pm »
Can’t see your video Graham,

I don't know why not, it's just a standard YouTube vid.

If you go to YouTube and enter USu8vT_tfdw in the search bar you should see it.

But if I can take you up on that point.  It can be a simple lapse of concentration, which all too often is at the heart of so many road traffic incidents.
And as we can see in the newspaper video – well it appears to work.  A big bright flashing no entry sign jumps out nowhere.

Personally I think a big sign should slap them over the head... :D

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2019, 12:32:23 pm »

VNA thinks it will probably be effective.     

Is that what he told you? :eek

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2019, 06:32:31 pm »
Here's a video that someone posted on another forum. There are warning signs, flashing lights etc, yet *still* people manage to wreck their vehicles by trying to drive under a bridge that's too low for them.

Found the video.  Naw it’s a different situation.  It’s not the same.  The bridge is about drivers not being aware of the height of their vehicle and/or that it is of such a height that it may contact with certain bridges on the highway.

jM8YT7itL3WzBWQ

In ‘my’ video, you can see the driver has made the wrong decision.  It’s a moments confusion or whatever – and yup like the bridge it keeps happening.  But then the big foc off wrong way lights come on, he/she stops, then realises his/her mistake and turns back.  Thus avoiding a potentially very accident. 

Anyway it will be interesting to see what they conclude with this trial. 

« Last Edit: 01 October 2019, 06:37:14 pm by VNA »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2019, 06:38:58 pm »
Foc sake >: I'll try this;
https://youtu.be/CRz0KS-tDao

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2019, 06:39:23 pm »
Bingo! :)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 October 2019, 01:19:55 am »
Found the video.  Naw it’s a different situation.  It’s not the same.  The bridge is about drivers not being aware of the height of their vehicle and/or that it is of such a height that it may contact with certain bridges on the highway.

The point is they're still managing to ignore blatant warning signs, lights and so on.

In ‘my’ video, you can see the driver has made the wrong decision.  It’s a moments confusion or whatever – and yup like the bridge it keeps happening.  But then the big foc off wrong way lights come on, he/she stops, then realises his/her mistake and turns back.  Thus avoiding a potentially very accident. 

Sure, but it only takes one idiot to not pay attention or think "that doesn't apply to me".

In any case, I'd like to know exactly where that is, because I'd love to have a look at it on Google Streetview.

IMO if that "keeps" happening, there is something fundamentally wrong with the signage and design of the slip road that makes it keep happening.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 October 2019, 07:24:43 pm »
 I think the idea is prevent dozy wazzocks and confused foreigners making such a mistake.  It may also help the 100,000’s of thousands of drivers suffering from dementia that are out there on our roads.
In any case, I'd like to know exactly where that is, because I'd love to have a look at it on Google Streetview.

IMO if that "keeps" happening, there is something fundamentally wrong with the signage and design of the slip road that makes it keep happening.

The rough junction locations are named in the article.  This looks like the one in the video.  The B8046 to M9 junction. 
https://www.google.com/maps/@55.9835595,-3.5313096,15z
Drop yer wee man in and drive aboot in google maps tae yer hearts content.

« Last Edit: 04 October 2019, 08:12:03 pm by VNA »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 October 2019, 12:22:11 am »
Ok, so there's a sign showing two turnings, one with a big no-entry sign and the other saying M9.
Then there's a "No Right Turn" sign on the left and two No Entry signs at the junction on the "wrong way" slip road, so there's certainly adequate signage for anyone who's paying attention.
They could add a "NO ENTRY" sign painted on the road at the entrance to the junction.
But, to be honest, what I think would probably be best would be to narrow down the entrance to the junction. Yes, ok, it might cause a few more tailbacks on the slip road leaving the motorway (I don't know how busy it is), but taking out that big wide entry would make it a lot less tempting for someone to turn into it.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 October 2019, 11:50:13 am »

Then there's a "No Right Turn" sign on the left and two No Entry signs at the junction on the "wrong way" slip road, so there's certainly adequate signage for anyone who's paying attention.

Plus, the road markings.  Which would be my one suggestion – keep all the road markings on such motorway and dual carriageway junctions fresh.
I think the exit is standard width, and is that width so that articulated vehicles can exit with ease.  Yes the M9 is busy. 
Lets see how the trial goes…..

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 October 2019, 10:46:38 pm »
I think the exit is standard width, and is that width so that articulated vehicles can exit with ease.   

Ok, I'd not considered that, but I can see the reasoning.

In that case, they could try what's been done on some roundabouts here, where there's an outer circle of red "bricks" (or something, that's what they look like) which are intended to encourage people to drive around them, rather than cut across.

If those were put at the entrance, there would still be space for the artics to turn whilst giving the visual impression of a narrow entry.

Ok, the Wrong Way signs are probably cheaper, but the less the chances of someone turning up there in the first place, the better.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2019, 12:27:04 pm »
Ok, I'd not considered that, but I can see the reasoning.

In that case, they could try what's been done on some roundabouts here, where there's an outer circle of red "bricks" (or something, that's what they look like) which are intended to encourage people to drive around them, rather than cut across.

If those were put at the entrance, there would still be space for the artics to turn whilst giving the visual impression of a narrow entry.
I have no idea what you are on about.
As it says it's a trial.  I think it's interesting and it might very well be effective.  The idea of the trial is of course to see how effective it is.  It's well worth a shot.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 October 2019, 01:19:22 pm »

Maybe you don't have them in your part of the world.

This has red tarmac rather than bricks, but the idea is that most vehicles should avoid and go around the red section, but artics etc can use the red tarmac to give them extra space to turn.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 October 2019, 04:30:47 pm »
Never seen that on a roundabout.
But it is a roundabout - not a junction.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 October 2019, 07:22:05 pm »

Maybe you don't have them in your part of the world.

This has red tarmac rather than bricks, but the idea is that most vehicles should avoid and go around the red section, but artics etc can use the red tarmac to give them extra space to turn.

Never seen that before either?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: 06 October 2019, 07:40:49 pm »
I have seen something similar in Sussex though it was just different colour bricks rather than red tarmac

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 October 2019, 08:51:59 pm »
« Last Edit: 14 November 2020, 09:31:52 pm by YamFazFan »