Date: 16-04-24  Time: 13:56 pm

Author Topic: Random starting problem  (Read 4953 times)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Random starting problem
« Reply #25 on: 21 July 2016, 08:08:26 am »
We deal with lots of batteries at work so the engineers have a good knowledge of their behaviour, and one of them is totally convinced i have a dud cell.
I have no reason to not believe him.
Should be delivered tomorrow and hopefully he'll be proven right.
A bit late now since you've spent yer money, but a few seconds work with a voltmeter might have been informative.

Did that yesterday.
Battery was on charge all night beforehand.
Went out to check at lunch time, off was 12.4v, engine on bounced around 12.58v, then after about 3mins of engine running i switched it off and it was then 12.6+ volts.
So it is getting a charge to it because it was higher volts at the end of the 3mins, but obviously not holding it too well, or as suggested i've got a dud cell and it's just not behaving normally.
I ride with both headlights on so they will be pulling down a bit of power as well.
If the battery gets there before lunch i'll fit it and test again, apparently new batteries come 75% dry charged and are basically ready to go from new once assembled, although i have access to untold chargers at work so may put it on a very low amp booster charge if it arrives early enough.

Ah. Fair enough.
A measurement after it failed to start would have been more definitive, but 12.4v just a few hours after a run does sound poor.
My money had been on the starter motor. :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 July 2016, 01:30:43 pm »
We deal with lots of batteries at work so the engineers have a good knowledge of their behaviour, and one of them is totally convinced i have a dud cell.
A bit late now since you've spent yer money, but a few seconds work with a voltmeter might have been informative.

Did that yesterday.
Went out to check at lunch time, off was 12.4v, engine on bounced around 12.58v, then after about 3mins of engine running i switched it off and it was then 12.6+ volts.
So it is getting a charge to it because it was higher volts at the end of the 3mins, but obviously not holding it too well, or as suggested i've got a dud cell and it's just not behaving normally.
I ride with both headlights on so they will be pulling down a bit of power as well.
If the battery gets there before lunch i'll fit it and test again, apparently new batteries come 75% dry charged and are basically ready to go from new once assembled, although i have access to untold chargers at work so may put it on a very low amp booster charge if it arrives early enough.

Ah. Fair enough.
A measurement after it failed to start would have been more definitive, but 12.4v just a few hours after a run does sound poor.
My money had been on the starter motor. :)

Battery arrived this morning, and on charge on my work bench now, i'll put it in later and do a voltage check again.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 July 2016, 06:57:06 pm »
Old battery

12.4v off
12.58v with engine and headlights on
Didn't test with headlights off
12.6v when engine turned off

New battery

13.1v off
12.75 with engine and headlights on
14.1v with headlights off
13.15v when engine turned off

These voltages were measured with the bike just ticking over, both times for around 3-5mins.

Hopefully the old battery was just getting a bit tired and the new one will sort things out.
I always ride with both headlights on, but now know to definitely have them switched off when starting the bike.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #28 on: 21 July 2016, 11:32:45 pm »
A bit late now, but it's always worth popping round to a friendly local garage and getting them to put a Drop Tester on the battery which will quickly let you know if you have a dead cell :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 July 2016, 07:02:13 am »
A bit late now, but it's always worth popping round to a friendly local garage and getting them to put a Drop Tester on the battery which will quickly let you know if you have a dead cell :thumbup

What's that then..........a friendly local garage???
I live in London.  :lol

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 22 July 2016, 03:44:44 pm »
Well battery all looks good now! The big question everyone is waiting for........is is it fixed?????
I really hope so!!! I hate random problems,they grind you down :(

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 22 July 2016, 04:59:41 pm »
Hope he's not busy trying to jump start it.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 July 2016, 06:30:03 pm »
All great so far  :woot

Now i don't think it's my imagination, but the bike just feels generally better in running as well?
My understanding was once the bike is started the battery didn't really do much after that, but this morning and on the way home tonight it felt better without a doubt.
Is it possible that a good fully charged battery can do this?
The weather yesterday was not too different from today so conditions are more or less the same.

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 August 2016, 07:41:43 pm »

Did that yesterday.

I had random starting issues last month - industrial amounts of Halfords contact cleaner in the ignition barrel has sorted the problem and now it starts on the buton.

If I am you I would check that battery myself:

Starting Load Test
  • Adjust voltmeter to DC volts (20 volt range).
  • Place voltmeter leads to the battery terminals. (positive to positive and negative to negative)
  • Watch the voltmeter as you start your motorcycle.
  • If the voltage drops below 9.5 volts, the battery has very low capacity and should be replaced.
Charging System Test
  • Place voltmeter leads to the battery terminals.  (positive to positive and negative to negative)
  • Start your motorcycle.
  • Bring engine RPM's up to approximately 3,000
  • Compare the voltage reading to the specification in your owner's manual.
    (Note:the voltage reading should be approx. 13.8 - 14.5 volts to properly charge an AGM battery.)
From your measuramnets above I see 12ish volts when engine on - that is not enough to charge the battery means your reg/rec is gone IMO.
« Last Edit: 07 August 2016, 07:47:21 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 August 2016, 08:43:07 pm »

Did that yesterday.

I had random starting issues last month - industrial amounts of Halfords contact cleaner in the ignition barrel has sorted the problem and now it starts on the buton.

If I am you I would check that battery myself:

Starting Load Test
  • Place voltmeter leads to the battery terminals. (positive to positive and negative to negative)
  • Watch the voltmeter as you start your motorcycle.
  • If the voltage drops below 9.5 volts, the battery has very low capacity and should be replaced.
Charging System Test
  • Place voltmeter leads to the battery terminals.  (positive to positive and negative to negative)
  • Start your motorcycle.
  • Bring engine RPM's up to approximately 3,000
  • Compare the voltage reading to the specification in your owner's manual.
    (Note:the voltage reading should be approx. 13.8 - 14.5 volts to properly charge an AGM battery.)
From your measuramnets above I see 12ish volts when engine on - that is not enough to charge the battery means your reg/rec is gone IMO.

Measurements were at tickover, a bit of throttle and the figures would've risen.

New battery sorted it anyway, and i've now got in the habit of starting the bike with the lights off to ease the strain.
I should've checked the voltages with the heated grips on as well, they'll probably drain more than the lights i'd imagine.

« Last Edit: 08 August 2016, 05:57:25 am by darrsi »