Date: 19-04-24  Time: 04:07 am

Author Topic: who's responsible?  (Read 2019 times)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
who's responsible?
« on: 07 September 2017, 03:29:56 pm »
car gets picked up earlier for its last service as part of the service deal. They ring and say 2 tyres are .9mm from the legal limit, shall we replace......I said no as that's almost 1 mm
2.6 being legal limit

then he says there's a nail in the side wall and the tyre is punctured but I wouldn't have seen it.....now we get going.....I say you've done it driving the car in as my tyres were ok, his reply was prove it. I argue that the ECU would've picked up the puncture and he says the nail's still in so not leaking!
he speaks to Manager who offers discount but no replacement tyre, so after 20 mins I ring back and explain to manager I complete POWDDERS checks before every ride/drive and also works vehicles so how come I don't see it but the mechanic does......he argues he cannot afford to replace tyres and they have collected free of charge, my counter is that its in your custody so you're responsible. He's gone to look at it and speak to his manager. I'm getting the feeling the trying to have me off over two tyres as its the last time they'll have the car under warranty.

your thoughts please?
fire never sleeps

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: who's responsible?
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2017, 04:03:10 pm »
Is the nail on the inside or outside wall of the tyre? If the outside then yes I would stand my ground arguing that it would have been seen by myself and also the mechanic would have started the conversation stating that there was a nail in the side wall as it does then have to be replaced.
If it's on the inside then I would probably accept that it could have been there previously but I would go and inspect it but not tell them that I was going there (some garages will just make stuff like that up to get you to buy new when you don't need to)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2017, 04:12:28 pm »
car just arrived back here with driver saying they just get told to pick up and drop off when ready.....so manager hasn't/cannot inspect it as the car is now with me. I cannot see any nail in the outer wall so guessing in in the inner wall but only mention on sheet is of a puncture to N/side front tyre

chasing manager as I type
fire never sleeps

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2017, 09:32:33 am »
manager rings back and says he's spoke to mechanic and its been crossed wires......nail is in the tread and where it is, the tread is 2mm so the mech would replace the tyre. Now this is all a crock of shite as far as I'm concerned......paperwork says tread is 2.6mm........no mention of 2mm and how the fook it got translated to the sidewall is anyone's guess but I'm guessing they're trying it on

its going for a MOT so I'll get my man to look out for a nail which I'm dubious even exists
fire never sleeps

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2017, 09:44:24 am »
Sounds like they are just trying it on to me. If it was me I wouldn't touch them with a disinfected barge pole now the free services have run out.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2017, 09:50:06 am »
I won't be mate and I think they know it from experience so they try it on with people on the last service
fire never sleeps

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2017, 10:00:51 am »
Interesting! What if the MOT proves there is no nail?

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 September 2017, 10:48:53 am »
For my own peace of mind I would jack the car up and remove the wheel and have a look myself, never mind waiting on the MOT, what happens if you are driving down the road and you get a blowout mount a kerb and knock down a load of school children. Your life, your concience.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2017, 02:23:56 pm »
MOT said there was a nail dead centre..... and tyre tread ok!
tyre repaired and all good now
Guess the mechanic told the truth but the dealer was over egging it trying it on by saying tread was shot and nail was in the side wall, cnuts
fire never sleeps