Date: 26-04-24  Time: 16:25 pm

Author Topic: Security Chains?  (Read 945 times)

Bally-

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Security Chains?
« on: 29 March 2019, 11:47:34 am »
Had my 600 nicked the other day, wasn't locked. Yes, I know.

Going to buy a replacement 02 or 03 model - just wondered if anyone uses 16mm or bigger chains? Do they fit through the bike (and where?) or just the back wheel?. Is 1.5m long enough to get to a ground anchor?

Thanks

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
Re: Security Chains?
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2019, 11:58:48 am »
there is a 5 foot  squire lock and chain for sale on the MT-09/FZ-09 forum for £30
« Last Edit: 29 March 2019, 04:03:36 pm by acid drop »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2019, 12:28:24 pm »
At least always through the rear wheel, otherwise the front can be picked up and the bike wheeled away like a wheelbarrow. Surprisingly easy once you've got the knack.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2019, 09:47:12 am »
I would recommend Pragmasis  and go for the 19mm. Also look at their anti pinch pin  Even if you do not buy from them there is loads of useful good advice on their site. The 19mm however is only for home use as it is very heavy to carry. As for length it depends how close and where your ground anchor is but watch out as the 19mm may not go around your anchor or because the links are quite long it sort of shortens the chain when you try to go around something. 

The anti pinch pin can go right through your bike engine/frame. I think some owners can pass it through the hole in a single swing arm.

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Bally-

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2019, 01:25:49 pm »
there is a 5 foot  squire lock and chain for sale on the MT-09/FZ-09 forum for £30

Thanks Acid. I bought the chain, it's pretty hefty, and the lock seems decent. Been using it to lock new bike (another fox eye!) to a sheffield stand outside work, along with disc locks front and rear. Bike has alarm/immobiliser on it too. That's more security than any of the other bikes round this way so fingers crossed should be ok...

daviee

« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2019, 07:24:51 pm »
more than one lock is more a deterant as its more work to get off 2 disk locks and a fuck off big chain wont stop it getting pinched but will make then think twicee as its more work and more time to take it

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2019, 10:09:57 pm »
Another shout for the Pragmasis chains. Been using a 2m and 1.5m 16mm chains for my Fazer and my wife's CBF. Both pretty hefty, but no hassle to lug around in the bottom of a top box (I wouldn't recommend carrying it around without a top box). No hassles going through back wheel of either bike. The 2m one gives you a bit more flexibility to stretch round awkward stuff, but 90% of time it's a bit excessive length wise TBH. 1.5m is fine in most cases.

Also to note, the Pragmasis Torc ground anchor can snuggly accept both 16mm chains through it.
And can't moan about the Squire padlocks either. I did have one seize up, but Squire were helpful with hints to free it and then replaced it promptly on warranty with no fuss.