Date: 29-03-24  Time: 02:23 am

Author Topic: She wont start  (Read 1113 times)

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
She wont start
« on: 15 May 2018, 08:30:07 pm »
I would welcome any input on my predicament. I went to go out for a spin last week I had about half a tank of fuel and I added a small amount of redex (about 40ml)  then rode to the local garage 1/2 a mile away  and topped up , it was my  first time out  this year due to being busy, anyhow my 2004 fzs1 started ok as it always has but sounded a bit lumpy  as I backed it out of my garage it stalled then took a few goes to restart I put it down to old fuel in the line and set off to top up. it started ok after I had fuelled up but continued to run a bit ropey, loosing power then picking up again,a couple of miles later the problem got worse then the bike backfired a couple of times and stopped, and stayed stopped  I got rac recovery out to take me home.  when it was trying to start kerbside it sounded like it was only running on 2 cylinders and the exhaust was blueish. I had last started the bike about 6 wks earlier and ran it for 15mins , it was fine
my mate and I stripped out the carbs and cleaned them 2 jets looked to be blocked, the fuel pump looks to be working ok, doesn't look to be the head gasket  ,took the rad cap off  and it seems ok. Not sure which way to head next  without getting a garage to pick it up and start paying :'(

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Re: She wont start
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2018, 09:56:49 pm »
Whoooaa before you start writing blank cheques, check out the simple stuff first. Id start by looking at the plugs, colour of the electrode, are they wet or sooted up. Check that all four are sparking. And as the bikes been stood for at least 5 months, Id drain the fuel system and put some fresh in. Modern fuel is crap and attracts water which settles at the bottom of the tank. I always use super unleaded as it doesnt contain ethanol

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2018, 06:12:12 am »
Sorry forgot to say , we drained the tank and put in fresh fuel, as we were running out of time we just checked the outer 2 plugs, sparked ok ,looked to be running a bit rich but otherwise ok.

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2018, 05:59:37 pm »
The outer 2 plugs run off the same ignition coil - check one (or both) of the inner cylinders as they run on the other ignition coil. Make sure connectors to coils haven't come unplugged or corroded.