Date: 19-04-24  Time: 23:08 pm

Author Topic: Right hand mirror vibration  (Read 2187 times)

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Right hand mirror vibration
« on: 02 May 2016, 09:33:23 pm »
Has anyone suffered from vibes through the mirrors on the gen 1? Just wondered if there are any quick fixes, I've checked and tightened all the mounting bolts but the right hand mirror vibrates and it's impossible to see anything clearly in it above 30mph!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: Right hand mirror vibration
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2016, 06:48:01 am »
was going to post the same,went out on sunday for the first time this year and right mirror very vibey.....at higher speeds than you,50 +,as you checked all mountings and all ok.......might loosen all the mirror/fairing support brackets next and make sure they are all aligned and tight..no problems when i put it away last year...
One, is never going to be enough.....

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2016, 07:22:18 am »
Probably not related but balancing the carbs can smooth out vibrations considerably.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2016, 07:35:13 am »
Just get a black fazer. They're the quickest, so you can toss both mirrors - no need for 'em!   :)

Here's what I can think of:

Check all the bolts holding the mirrors and holding  the fairing (metal fairing bracket and fairing bolts).
If it doesn't help, I'd check carbs sync.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2016, 04:09:47 pm »
Some twit (spelt with an 'a') of a recovery driver tried to use the mirrors as tie down points a few years ago and busted both of them. Chinese replacements were easily fitted, but the mounting points on the sub-plate were distorted and they have never been right since.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2016, 05:21:57 pm »
Cheers guys looks like I might just have to live with it, it was doing it before Mike did is magic with the full monty  at the weekend and still vibrating after the carbs have been balanced. May try a new mirror in the distant future......

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2016, 11:29:13 am »
If you have the front off anyway, it might be worth looking at adding nylon washers, spacers or something else to dampen things. Your other option is to go faster so you don't have to worry about what is behind you.  :evil

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 May 2016, 04:33:50 pm »
My mirrors vibrated before I had the carbs balanced was told by mechanic the carbs where way out, after balancing they still vibrate, in fact the whole bike vibrates more since balancing the carbs.

Fazerjon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2016, 06:44:30 pm »
Your only other option is to go faster so you don't have to worry about what is behind you.  :evil
That's what I'm worried about, having been caught and banned many years ago I'm more paranoid now and like to see the cops before they see me!  :eek

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2016, 11:48:47 am »
My mirrors vibrated before I had the carbs balanced was told by mechanic the carbs where way out, after balancing they still vibrate, in fact the whole bike vibrates more since balancing the carbs.
Check that the tank has been properly seated. On one occasion, I got a buzz from the mounting plate of the tank. lifting and then re-securing the tank sorted it.