Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:18 am

Author Topic: Fazer 400 High Beam Issue  (Read 3026 times)

Gizmo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
Fazer 400 High Beam Issue
« on: 27 February 2019, 09:54:50 am »
Any help with this issue please?

Please click the link below...

Fazer 400 Video CLICK HERE!
« Last Edit: 27 February 2019, 09:57:26 am by Gizmo »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer 400 High Beam Issue
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2019, 05:04:23 pm »
Your low beam is working correctly. Try getting the low beams on then press the pass switch on the handle bar. Does the high beam come on? If it does the problem must be the high beam connection in the handle bar switch. If it doesn't come on a bit more testing is required but the fact that the low beam is working correctly means the problem has to be from the high beam handle bar switch to the high beam in the bulb. Either a problem in the handle bar switch, a break in the high beam wire or a problem with the bulbs.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2019, 05:15:31 pm »
The right bulb is a H4R 12V 60W/35W. I think a H4 is 60/55W. The Jap import bikes have 35W low beam whereas European bikes have 55W low beam so you should probably get the 35W bulb but your high beam should still work with the H4 bulb.

The low beam is working correctly. The low beam should only come on when the AC magneto is turning so when you're cranking the engine on the starter or the engine is running. I'll try and explain how it works but if it doesn't make sense don't worry about it, it doesn't matter to fixing the problem.

How it works is if you look at the wiring diagram in the download section there's a wire connected to one of the phases of the AC magneto so there's Alternating Current on that wire when the engine is turning over. That wire then goes to a diode. Diodes block current in one direction and allow it to flow in the other direction so the diode blocks half of the AC sine wave going through the wire so the diode converts the AC to a pulsed DC. That DC goes to the control side of a relay and energises the control side of the relay which closes the switched side of the relay. The switched side of the relay connects back up through a second diode back to the control side of the same relay so that means once the relay is switched on it stays on because it's using it's own switched output to energise it's control side so it stays on. I think it's called latching. That's why once the low beam comes on it stays on even if the engine stops turning.  The switched side of the relay then sends current to the switch on the handle bar. The handle bar switch sends current to either the low or high beam wire. The current then goes through high beam or low beam wiring to the connector at the bulb and then through the high beam or low beam filament in the bulb to ground.

The wiring up to the handle bar switch is the same for the low beam and high beam so the fact that the low beam is working means the problems has to be between the handle bar switch to the high beam part of the bulb. A quick test for the handle bar switch is to get the low beams on then press the pass switch. It's on the back side of the handle bar switches. Does the high beam come on? If it does then that shows the problem is in the handle bar switch.

Gizmo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2019, 05:23:07 pm »
Well, before seeing this I took the bar switch apart and cleaned it. Now for some reason I have no dip beam, nor do I have a rear light or a break light. All fuses are in tact. What is going on with this bloody motor? Biggest problem with the wiring diagram is I don't fully understand it, nor can I read Japanese. :D
« Last Edit: 27 February 2019, 05:25:33 pm by Gizmo »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2019, 05:40:44 pm »
I feel your pain I only learned how to read them recently. Check the "head" fuse. Power for the low beam and tail light comes through the head fuse.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2019, 08:49:34 pm »
Here is a colour photograph of the 400 wiring diagram not great but shows the colours of the wires you are tracing for the lights.As has been said,  the power to the brake lights, rear parking light, dims and heads is supplied by the same fuse. If your brake lights or rear lights are not working then it is the fuse If its is just the heads and dims not working then you may have put the switch back together incorrectly or damaged the relay. Sometime because the fuse looks ok does not mean it is ok, check it with a meter or swap it out.
There is only one power supply for dims and heads which is fed to bothe via the heads and dims switch. The lights will come on once the alternator turns over and stay on until the ignition switch is turned off, unlike the USA bikes on which the lights come one when the ignition is turned on.

Gizmo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - FZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2019, 09:32:44 pm »
Looks as thought it is a gear switch issue, I can get high and dip beam bridging connection under the tank as a test which makes the bulbs function. That brings me to the conclusion that the switch is faulty, I think it was faulty before I took it apart and cleaned it and now it seems even more faulty. I have opened another post about the rear light problem as I don't want to switch topics. The only thing I am looking for would possibly be a video tutorial of how to correctly assemble a left hand gear switch. When I took it apart I dropped everything not knowing what was inside. I believe and am 99% sure I built it correctly as it functions, how ever the dip beam stopped working after i did this. Now I have no head lamp at all. Indicators, horn and hazards do work.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2019, 10:51:56 pm »
If it all works when you bypass the switch the switch must be the problem. You'll have to figure out how it goes together yourself you'll never find a tutorial on it, they're a rare bike so there's not many tutorial type videos on them.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2019, 07:53:12 pm »
Here is a colour photograph of the 400 wiring diagram

Is the FZ400 the same as the FZS400 loom?

If not, the diagram is the wrong one.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2019, 08:31:49 pm »
The diagram is the correct one.
The  FZS400 correct designation is FZ400. This decals on the fairing  FZ performance inline 4 see pic

http://picture.goobike.com/880/8800584/J/8800584B3018112702400.jpg
It is called the FZS400 here because of its likeness to the FZS600 and prevent confusion with the FZ400R (R for Racer) and the  FZ400RR (Race Replica)

The 600 is derived from it and this can be seen from the parts catalogue as the model code for the 400 is 4YR and many of the 600 part codes begin with 4YR and many of the 600 part codes 5DM and 5RT will fit the 400 as they are upgrades. One example is the camchain tensoner, the difference being that the 600 has a stronger spring.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2019, 08:17:48 pm »
I noticed there's a mistake on the colour diagram. It shows the fan getting power from the signal fuse whereas the black and white diagram shows the fan getting power through a separate fan fuse. Maybe they changed the wiring on the bike at some point or it's just a mistake on the colour diagram