Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:55 am

Author Topic: pipercross air filter  (Read 1140 times)

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - triumph bonneville '#03974 t120
    • View Profile
pipercross air filter
« on: 26 November 2019, 02:43:10 pm »
anyone got a pipercross air filter? made in uk and a bit cheaper than k&n. I need a new air filter so am tempted to give one a go. like k&n they say they last forever and are washable, being a bit patriotic I'd rather give a brit my money than a yank. Any info be useful

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: pipercross air filter
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2019, 03:04:21 pm »
Yes, the Pipercross sells for around £35, while the K&N £50. Is there more to it than just the "brand", with these premium filters.

I actually ordered a new filter at the weekend. Considering its pretty much a "one time" purchase, I opted for the K&N. ;)
A further question, is the new Filter supposed to be lightly sprayed with anything prior to fitting?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2019, 03:08:27 pm »
K&N for me.
Nice being patriotic and all that, but it's your bike that counts.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=8&t=1415772
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2019, 03:20:11 pm »
K&N for me.
Nice being patriotic and all that, but it's your bike that counts.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=8&t=1415772

Quote from: Some random PISTONHEAD Thread
Pipercross just blow the tops off when you have a nitrous backfire.

^ This happens to me on the Fazer all the time!  :eek :rollin Thank FOC I went K&N! lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2019, 03:30:24 pm »
Yes, the Pipercross sells for around £35, while the K&N £50. Is there more to it than just the "brand", with these premium filters.

I actually ordered a new filter at the weekend. Considering its pretty much a "one time" purchase, I opted for the K&N. ;)
A further question, is the new Filter supposed to be lightly sprayed with anything prior to fitting?

If it's brand new then it should be good to go.
I wouldn't believe too much about the 50,000 miles before cleaning though, i tend to clean mine once a year on a very warm day, so that the sun can dry the filter quickly but naturally. Because we have such a varied weather pattern it can get dirtier much quicker than expected, although you'd really have to let it go to clog one up.
DO NOT use compressed air, hairdryer, etc, to dry it though, as you could fairly easily damage it without meaning to.

I got the idea on this forum after it was noticed that a main ingredient of the proper cleaning spray used for K&N filters is the same as washing machine powder, so for years now i've always filled a bucket with 'warm' water and swished the filter about in it for a good 20mins and cleaned it that way, and it seems to have worked a treat, at an obvious fraction of the cost.
I will still use a light spray of the proper K&N oil on it once it is totally dry though.

bazza

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2019, 04:22:53 pm »
yeah i've had at least 3 bikes where i fitted k&n's and agree with washing every year. i used warm water and fairy then put light coating of thinnest oil you can get, think it was 3 in 1 oil or duck oil. I always found i had to upjet with k&n's but probably wont need to on fazer. just wondered if anyone had the pipercross as sounds impressive and gotta be better than oem,

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 November 2019, 05:14:07 pm »
yeah i've had at least 3 bikes where i fitted k&n's and agree with washing every year. i used warm water and fairy then put light coating of thinnest oil you can get, think it was 3 in 1 oil or duck oil. I always found i had to upjet with k&n's but probably wont need to on fazer. just wondered if anyone had the pipercross as sounds impressive and gotta be better than oem,

No need to mess with the jets, been there, done that, but had to revert back to standard.
I would recommend a carb balance though for full effect.