Date: 19-04-24  Time: 13:11 pm

Author Topic: 4degree advance plate  (Read 1768 times)

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
4degree advance plate
« on: 02 October 2019, 09:16:04 pm »
What are the chances im gonna take the r'hand cover off and the gasket will survive chaps? I'm assuming oil loss will be negligible/minimal? :rolleyes :)
« Last Edit: 02 October 2019, 09:46:15 pm by ogri48 »

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
Re: 4degree advance plate
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2019, 06:14:45 am »
Oil loss almost nil. If you don't have a gasket then you'll need one! For the sake of it I would buy a new gasket and put it on. You might not like the new advance plate and have to take it off again.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2019, 07:05:36 pm »
good advice mate. I changed it today, old gasket was ok, but I reassembled with hylomar blue. Aint tried the bike yet (its been hacking down again here) but will order a new gasket from fowlers and change it once I know whether im gonna stick with the four degree one or go back to stock :)

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2019, 08:47:03 am »
I'd be interested to know what you think.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2019, 08:36:40 pm »

took it out on a lovely sunny Saturday for a blast to Chepstow, and was having so much fun I ended up heading deep into Wales lol. The advancer works for me, and definitely suits me bike. I spend most of my life on fast b roads and twisty local A's, jus shortshifting and lugging through, so rarely go over 6k revs, especially with the shit farmers are leaving on the roads here already. The four degree advance plate is perfect for that, and the oncoming winter rides. I could feel the difference before i'd got on the main road...its definitely smoother low down and almost feels as if ive fitted a smaller gearbox sprocket. If it was summer and I was doing trackdays and/or very fast road riding I'd go back to the stocker, but for the next six months at least, this'll do nicely.
 :)
« Last Edit: 06 October 2019, 08:38:24 pm by ogri48 »

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2019, 08:50:54 pm »
as an aside, when I used to freelance for 'Bike', I never went below 6k on a group road test! If I did, I'd lose the pack!How the hell those fellers who did it full time for a living (Simon Hargreaves, Pete Boast, Tom Bedford etc) that I'd be chasing keep their licences is beyond me. I did learn a lot though. Mostly I learnt I only have a certain amount of skill lol. I remember coming through Spalding in the pissing rain on a group test of the four fastest bikes of the time on a busa, with Tom Bedford in front of me on a zx12r. I was tip toeing around a roundabout trying to avoid the wet manholes and overbanding and concentrating hard on just staying upright. Tom spun the kwak up, and wheelied out of the roundabout, whilst still leant over, rain bouncing off the road it was coming down so hard. I nearly foccing fell of watching him! Thats when I realised, you get to a certain level much like everyone else, and then after that, you either can, or you can't lol.  ;) ;)

Krezi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2019, 11:33:26 am »
guys,

what's the part needed for this conversion?

Thanks
Paul

Johnnylad123

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2019, 11:39:27 am »
Did you struggle to remove the advancer nut? Tried to swap mine earlier this year but try as I might the nut wouldn't budge. Got a rattle gun but wasn't prepared to use it on the crank end!

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2019, 08:38:58 pm »
I always use a rattle gun mate. i'd rather do that than all the stress it puts on various components trying to lock everything up, . but then what do I know, im a brickie.. ;)