Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:01 am

Author Topic: 'Pass' - Flash Headlight Switch and MOT? (fixed)  (Read 3114 times)

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
'Pass' - Flash Headlight Switch and MOT? (fixed)
« on: 31 December 2016, 01:43:22 am »
Right looked this one up and could only find a previous thread about why it was called 'pass' switch.

I was checking the lights today and found that everything seems to be working as it should using relevant switches.

But when you use the 'pass' switch if no lights on doesnt produce a flash, if lights are on just stays same not getting any main beam - suggests problem is at the switch,

The million dollar question is does this need fixed before MOT or will it wait? -  as all the lights do work ? - do they test the flash function?
« Last Edit: 10 January 2017, 09:39:21 pm by rw711 »
Russ :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: 'Pass' - Flash Headlight Switch and MOT?
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2016, 06:54:37 am »
On your bike, presuming you haven't had the mod to make both lights work at the same time (sort it out), the pass switch/main beam would be the upper part of the H4 bulb.
Whoever invented the system was obviously very very drunk at the time on cheap Sake and thought it would be a magnificent idea to not only have unequal and very different light bulb system, but designed an appalling reflector unit that even Florence Nightingale would've shunned?

One bulb is single filament, the other is a twin, as in upper and lower.

When you say "all the lights work" have you actually seen the upper part of the H4 bulb work? If you haven't had the light modded then the lower beam won't work regardless.

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Wookee

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2016, 09:44:36 am »

The million dollar question is does this need fixed before MOT or will it wait? -  as all the lights do work ? - do they test the flash function?

It is not tested and will pass. Mine hasn't worked for years. A headlamp flash has no meaning in Road Traffic law so it would be a bit silly to include it in the MOT, besides which I was taught to never be courteous on a bike as it invites a rear end shunt.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2016, 09:59:50 am »
As long as both high beam and dip beam are working with the normal switches (and the high beam warning light comes on) it's no problem.  A lot of smaller bikes don't have Pass light switches

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 January 2017, 08:10:52 pm »

It is not tested and will pass. Mine hasn't worked for years. A headlamp flash has no meaning in Road Traffic law so it would be a bit silly to include it in the MOT, besides which I was taught to never be courteous on a bike as it invites a rear end shunt.

Darrsi I'll give the whole thing another check over - I'll do the mod but main priority is getting her road legal as no off street parking at mine, so I'm relying on a friend for parking at moment and having to work on the bike there... He's a biker too and is great help on the big jobs so that's all good, but its nice to have the bike at home so I can pop out and do the smaller jobs when the weather suits.

Thanks to you and Jules answer below: many bikes I have had have not had a flash/pass switch but I didnt know if it was date related, the Fazer is the first bike I've had with hazards! - they work :)

We have a lot of single track roads here so that is the main time you would use the flash - its customary to flash if you are gonna take the passing place, sometimes saves both vehicles stopping .  I'll fix it but it can wait  :thumbup

Got a whole second hand airbox inc K&N filter today for 16 quid - feeling pleased  ;)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2017, 09:51:30 am »
The mod doesn't affect the pass switch.

The pass switch is not a legal requirement so will pass the MOT.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

rw711

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - zzr600 E7
    • View Profile
Re: 'Pass' - Flash Headlight Switch and MOT? (fixed)
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2017, 09:47:02 pm »
Thanks,

After doing a few other bits and bats, we thought aw we'll just open it up and have a look for anything obvious like a wire off.

The fix was very simple it was just poor contact on the switch, sorted by cleaning and spraying with contact spray,

- but - the screws are made of cottage cheese and chewed up one of the heads  :eek  -so drilling out and opening up ended up taking about an hour and a half, all these now replaced with stainless!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2017, 05:56:33 am »
Thanks,

After doing a few other bits and bats, we thought aw we'll just open it up and have a look for anything obvious like a wire off.

The fix was very simple it was just poor contact on the switch, sorted by cleaning and spraying with contact spray,

- but - the screws are made of cottage cheese and chewed up one of the heads  :eek  -so drilling out and opening up ended up taking about an hour and a half, all these now replaced with stainless!

There's a few screws and bolts like that on these bikes, you have to go careful and make sure your tools fit well just to reduce the chance of misery.
Carb drain screws, and brake disc bolts, for example, are a bit on the soft side too. If you ever feel the need to replace the rear brake disc use a lot of heat and don't expect a quick and easy job, because you  could be opening up a new world of pain.  :'(
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazerfan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2017, 03:40:47 pm »
'Pass' is a complete misnomer.

The Highway Code Rule 110: refer to Flashing of Headlights; and the same goes for my learning on the use of horns. 'Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users'.
[/color]Many 'crash for cash' scams involve inviting you to respond to a 'flashing' and then proceeding only for the barsteward to then carry on into you.
[/color]Ride safely. And think about a helmet cam!

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2017, 04:04:00 pm »
'Pass' is a complete misnomer.

Ride safely. And think about a helmet cam!

Good advice, I always ride with a Go-Pro running I have mine mounted on the bars behind the screen, firstly its is safe from stone strike, and I found that having the cam mounted on my bucket at speed it tends to catch the wind dragging your head back and causes a fair amount of buffeting.

Also mounting it behind the screen you can use and open cage/skeleton  mount it then records engine sound better with not so much wind noise.