Date: 29-03-24  Time: 10:07 am

Author Topic: "Crunchy" front brake lever  (Read 2920 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
"Crunchy" front brake lever
« on: 20 May 2016, 10:22:34 pm »
Some of you may know this, but a lot of you won't, 'cos i didn't!
For the last week or so i had what can only be described as a "crunchy" brake feeling with the front lever.
Over the years i've normally put that down to a worn bush where the lever pivots on the bolt, and a new lever has always sorted it.
But yesterday i put a new lever on and it actually felt a tad worse.
Pulling the lever would give the said crunchy feeling until finally the brake would apply FULL ON making it too random to use.
Not the greatest scenario, so after staring really hard at it i asked my good mate if i could pop round and get a second opinion.
I knew my calipers are in good nick as i maintain them myself, and sure enough with the bike on centre stand and the brake applied the front wheel span freely on release.
Then after my mate had a look about for a few minutes he disappeared inside then came back out with.........a toothpick.........and a tube of silicone grease?
He then put a bit of grease on the master cylinder plunger, where the lever pushes onto it.

Sorted.  :eek

I was gobsmacked, while he stood there laughing at me, kind of like he just suggested the winning Lotto numbers.

I can only think the shitty desert dusty rain we keep getting totally dried out the metal, and the two surfaces were so dry they were 'chattering'.
The difference is literally unbelievable,it has gone from some weird uncontrollable grabby feeling to being absolutely spot on with superb and accurate braking with just one finger!

Thought I'd share anyway, it's a great fix, especially if you have an all weather bike.  ;)

« Last Edit: 21 May 2016, 01:08:51 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: "Crunchy" front brake lever
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2016, 09:23:30 am »
Yeah it makes a big difference to the feel of the brake when the grease dries out but a re-grease makes an amazing difference. 

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2016, 09:41:07 am »
personally i`d be having the master cylinder in bits and a full overhall  :) 

waters wet, shit stinks !

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2016, 10:06:05 am »
A common issue on all bikes, nothing to do with the master cylinder and many a person has purchased a master cylinder kit and/or a caliper seal kit thinking they were sticking. when all was required was a little bit of lubrication..
I covered it in this thread http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,14903.msg168810.html#msg168810

Use a little WD40 to see if it is the problem and if it is use red rubber grease, but any grease will fix it.

I have seen a number of bike mechanics genuinely caught out by it

The movement is small but enough to take the feel from the brake lever and make it feel like something more serious
« Last Edit: 21 May 2016, 01:32:48 pm by unfazed »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2016, 10:58:07 am »
Honestly, the difference with just that tiny bit of grease was beyond belief.
I did the usual Google search which ranged from a complete caliper overhaul for sticking pistons, a master cylinder kit refurb, brake line change, but nobody actually suggested the real solution, probably because it's just not that obvious.
If you look for "crunchy front brake lever" online you will see it's a very common problem.
I s'pose all the heavy duty rain is to blame, as my bike's left outside at work during the day, and also the dusty shite amongst it that has headed our way in recent times as well.
Anyway, lesson learned, and a lovely simple fix once you know the answer to the problem.  :thumbup

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2016, 11:02:21 am »

I did a master cylinder overhaul about 2 years ago, just for the sake of it, and never really felt any difference at all.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2016, 11:06:04 am »
Yes Darrsi, it is more common on bikes used in all weathers, but can occur on any bike. The root cause being a little corrosion on the siding surfaces.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2016, 01:24:53 pm »
A common issue on all bikes, nothing to do with the master cylinder and many a person has purchased a master cylinder kit and/or a caliper seal kit thinking they were sticking. when all was required was a little bit of lubrication, covered in this thread.
I covered it in this thread http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,14903.msg168810.html#msg168810

Use a little WD40 to see if it is the problem and if it is use red rubber grease, but any grease will fix it.

The movement is small but enough to take the feel from the brake lever and make it feel like something more serious

Just read that post, don't you just hate it when they don't let you know if it worked or not, i find it a little bit rude!  :look

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2016, 01:28:08 pm »

I did a master cylinder overhaul about 2 years ago, just for the sake of it, and never really felt any difference at all.

yes but at least you know that all is well and keeping ontop of maintainence keeping your baby running sweet  :) :)
waters wet, shit stinks !

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2016, 02:44:05 pm »
A common issue on all bikes, nothing to do with the master cylinder and many a person has purchased a master cylinder kit and/or a caliper seal kit thinking they were sticking. when all was required was a little bit of lubrication, covered in this thread.

Just read that post, don't you just hate it when they don't let you know if it worked or not, i find it a little bit rude!  :look

Agreed Darrsi, if they replied with a quick note to say it the solution worked, it would be good for everybody reading.
One of of the things that "Gets my Goat"  :eek