Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:16 am

Author Topic: 02 fazer fault codes?  (Read 3064 times)

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
02 fazer fault codes?
« on: 04 May 2014, 06:53:19 pm »
Hi all, had a fantastic blast out today all the way from Somerset to Portsmouth and back again!
Any how I'm almost home and go to overtake and hit a false neutral, revs Max out before I engage 3rd properly and complete the overtake. Immediately after my rpm gauge starts switching between 0 rpm and 4k rpm then to my actual rpm. It repeats this every few seconds? Bike seems to be running OK tho?
Anyone got a clue what might have happened?
Cheers

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: 02 fazer fault codes?
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2014, 06:56:11 pm »
4000rpm is the speedo sensor fault code.

Try a TPS check first and see what it does.
Turn key on (don't start engine), unplug the TPS, then plug it back in and see where the rev needle goes, it should tell you what you need to know?

If you get the 4000RPM code doing that, pull off the front wheel and have a look at your speedo sensor, prone to breaking on the 600's, and are about £15-20 for a new one.

if it shows 5000rpm then all is well. either 0rpm or 10000rpm means your TPS needs adjusting.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2014, 06:59:58 pm by mickvp »

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2014, 07:53:03 pm »
Cheers Mickvp, the speedo lug got damaged at my last front tyre change but the speedo was still working up until about 2 months ago, then it suddenly failed. I've been holding out till I need a new front tyre (about now) to fix the speedo lug.
I only balanced the carbs about a month ago and checked the tps then.
Strangely after turning the bike of for 5 mins to get fuel, the fault indicator of 0 rpm to 4k rpm has stopped?
The ignorant part of me says "yay its fixed itself"........ Unfortunately the curious n intelligent bit is saying " what? And why? And why has it gone away? And when will it be back?and what other damage is occuring in the mean time???......... Or maybe that's my paranoid side??
Any input greatly received.
Ta

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 May 2014, 08:10:06 pm »
if you do a search, there are occurences of this happening before (membrs hitting the redline in neutral, then getting this error). it does usually reset itself after the engine has been off and back on.

If you knwo you have an issue with your speedo drive, then its probably coming from this, best to just get it sorted out then monitor it :)

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2014, 09:55:36 pm »
I've been holding out till I need a new front tyre (about now) to fix the speedo lug.

Strangely after turning the bike of for 5 mins to get fuel, the fault indicator of 0 rpm to 4k rpm has stopped?
The ignorant part of me says "yay its fixed itself"........ Unfortunately the curious n intelligent bit is saying " what? And why? And why has it gone away? And when will it be back?and what other damage is occuring in the mean time???.........

With a non working speedo as soon as you rev over 10,000  the fault code you are seeing will be displayed and won't stop until you turn the ignition key to off.
Turn it back on and it won't show any issues- take the bike over 10K revs and it will show again.

Seriously guys, don't give him any different points of view, the non working speedo is the reason for the fault code.

Take the bike out and you'll see for yourself- over 10K revs.
I'm surprised you've not encountered this until now tbh- these bikes enjoy being revved!
Some say...