Date: 26-04-24  Time: 09:38 am

Author Topic: Stock exhaust vs slip on  (Read 682 times)

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Stock exhaust vs slip on
« on: 10 July 2020, 02:58:48 pm »
So while the mrs and my daughter were away for the day i was bored and decided to have a look at the stock end can thats sitting about. It was pretty tatty looking so I set about painting it just for something to do really. I keyed it in and used some halfords high temp black metallic stuff which actually ended up looking pretty good.

The exup valve needed a bit of persuasion and once freed and cleaned it was opening and snapping shut like new, so then I wondered what it would be like on the bike (plus getting it hot would properly cure the paint). The PO left cables on the servo so i hooked it all up and ran the diagnostics and it operated fine. Other than diagnostic mode i didnt see it operate once in neutral at revs but i think this is normal (or so ive read)

I thought it didnt sound bad at all, a different tone but no quieter than the scorpion with the baffle in. i took it out and i didnt really notice a drop in performance (although I hadnt ridden it for over a month) Still bored i thought id put the scorpion back on so i could test them back to back...this time i did notice a difference and it seemed to pick up a lot lower down the revs and just pull better all round...

So there you go, in my opinion the slip on wins out, looks better and is a lot lighter!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Stock exhaust vs slip on
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2020, 03:28:31 pm »
Does the Scorpion on still use the Exup?
If not, I would expect a difference in the available torque between the standard and Scorpion with the standard providing more at the bottom end
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2020, 04:17:52 pm »
The exup is in the standard silencer so the slip on does away with it. Its all a matter of perception but i i felt like the Scorpion gave me more response accross the whole range. That being said i really don't know at what point the exup closes, its fully open at idle and in neutral at any revs. Its possible mine isnt doing what it should...dunno.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2020, 05:24:08 pm »
No it sounds like it working right, on the gen 2 the expo is only there to pass sound and emission tests. As far as I'm aware it closes over at high rpm to lessen the noise.
As for performance it may just be that the PO has had the bike set up for the scorpion exhaust, hence why it runs better?
Could also just be the noise. My bike seems much faster with the baffle out than it does when it's in, its just psychological

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2020, 07:03:54 pm »
Might have been setup, it seems a lot happier with the slip on...it certainly isnt any the worse for it. I have to admit i prefer to keep the db killer in