Date: 29-03-24  Time: 13:25 pm

Author Topic: New topic - Vibrations  (Read 1575 times)

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
New topic - Vibrations
« on: 24 April 2020, 06:02:26 pm »
I really thought going from a tdm900 (tractor) motor vibrations would be at a minimum but hands and bum is buzzing after a while.
Its absolute worse in the front but i cant really feel any vibrations in the tank.

Have you ever had front end shatter on these forks? Need to see if i can dial it better but any tips!
Otherwise ill have to chuck the heated grips and fill the fatbar with lead and heavy bar ends as i did on the trix....

Happy weekend folks & others :)

Kenyun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - z1000r 2xTRX850 CB500X
    • View Profile
Re: New topic - Vibrations
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2020, 08:00:38 pm »
I have a TDM900, TRX850 and Gen 1 Fazer at this time and I must say none of them vibrate much, if at all. The TRX shakes a bit at 2270 rpm but thats all. They all need a slightly different riding style, its just a matter of finding it. So long as the bike in question is mechanically sound and correctly adjusted of course. Don't give give up on your Gen 2 just yet even if if does drink lots of fuel, [as they do]

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2020, 09:27:37 pm »
Could need your throttle bodies balancing? When they are out it tends to vibrate quite a bit.
Other than that I can't say it vibrates anymore than any other IL4 I've had.
Cheap aftermarket handlebars and bar ends can make things worse too.
I know a lot of people end up putting the original bar ends back on after trying fancier looking R&G, oxford etc ones

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2020, 07:34:27 pm »
Could need your throttle bodies balancing? When they are out it tends to vibrate quite a bit.
Other than that I can't say it vibrates anymore than any other IL4 I've had.
Cheap aftermarket handlebars and bar ends can make things worse too.
I know a lot of people end up putting the original bar ends back on after trying fancier looking R&G, oxford etc ones

Previous owner put a rizoma fat bar on it with heated grips. Im leaning towards front end shatter, not at all bad vibrations at stand still. Tried different rpm.
My TDM 900 motor had a balanced crank with high comp wiseco´s and still rattled like a mofo. After half hour one could not feel the right hand anymore.
That one also had a R1 fork with matris racing internals all dialed in so not the front there....
Well, i usually find what im looking for. Been riding yamaha spannermotors since 1999 :)

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2020, 03:12:36 pm »
A small minority of these bikes do seem to generate more vibration than others: a couple of owners have even sold the bike on as they couldn't fix the problem no matter what they tried. I have a packet of lead fishing weights and FJ1200 bar-ends sitting in the garage ready for installation, but my handlebar vibes are bearable except for very long journeys.

Anyway, possible fixes. As Dudeofrude states, out-of-balance injectors do tend to generate more vibes.
 Have you tried riding without any bar-ends attached - vibrations the same or even worse?

Have you checked the engine mount bolt torque settings - unlikely, but might be something there not helping.Pat's invaluable website should make that task easy:  http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/retorquemountbolts.html

EDIT: Just re-read & I take it you have a Gen 2 machine? In which case, ignore my link to Pat's FZ1 site.  Having said that, you should still check the engine bolts for any anomalies.

Some clarity on your earlier posts, please (maybe I'm the only one who's confused).  Did you mean front-end chatter as in the suspension behavioural characteristic or shatter as in you suspect front-end of the bike has possibly struck something and there is now unusual vibration coming from the forks?

« Last Edit: 27 April 2020, 03:16:47 pm by kebab19 »

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2020, 07:30:04 pm »
A small minority of these bikes do seem to generate more vibration than others: a couple of owners have even sold the bike on as they couldn't fix the problem no matter what they tried. I have a packet of lead fishing weights and FJ1200 bar-ends sitting in the garage ready for installation, but my handlebar vibes are bearable except for very long journeys.

Anyway, possible fixes. As Dudeofrude states, out-of-balance injectors do tend to generate more vibes.
 Have you tried riding without any bar-ends attached - vibrations the same or even worse?

Have you checked the engine mount bolt torque settings - unlikely, but might be something there not helping.Pat's invaluable website should make that task easy:  http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/retorquemountbolts.html

EDIT: Just re-read & I take it you have a Gen 2 machine? In which case, ignore my link to Pat's FZ1 site.  Having said that, you should still check the engine bolts for any anomalies.

Some clarity on your earlier posts, please (maybe I'm the only one who's confused).  Did you mean front-end chatter as in the suspension behavioural characteristic or shatter as in you suspect front-end of the bike has possibly struck something and there is now unusual vibration coming from the forks?

I have not started fiddling with the supension yet but the chatter is a faulty set rebound damping (and our roads are shit in Sweden because we put our tax money elsewhere) wich do that you feel every little stone on the road..."vibrations".
On my trix i first installed linear Ohlins springs and got the oil wrong. This made it bad the other way, it never went upwards so i had pogosticks.
It might not be this at all, heard of FZ1s that has dropped small pieces of the dreaded rotors magnets...thatd make some bad vibes....  :eek

ALSO, bear in mind im Swedish and there might be a tad of a language barrier :)

As soon as the weather allows i will take my tools with me and dial in both front and back. Must have been a hefty dude touring on it before because it woddles.
Will also dig out the old gopro and make a clip so you guys have something to compare with. Miss the vibration damper for the camera though.
Heres the old 98 TRX: https://youtu.be/oAT-TKl-GQg

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2020, 04:56:12 pm »
Just a couple of days ago read up on the standard bars and that they have insane heavy barends on them. (did not get them with bike)
As prev owner put heated grips on rizoma it has none. So know im going to carefully try to cut the ends of the heated grips and install bloody heavy oberon barends after filling the handlebar with some lead.
Hope its that simple! :)

Cheers

Mattias

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2020, 06:25:08 pm »
In case it's any help to you, the stock bar end weights are 308 grams. Maybe forget that as that weight is for a Gen 1.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2020, 06:26:45 pm by robbo »
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 July 2020, 08:46:09 pm »
After one vibration white finger session on my FZ1S riding back from Spain I filled the bars with diving shot.

bar end off, a funnel and lots of rattling and tamping.

Worked a treat.

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2020, 06:21:19 am »
After one vibration white finger session on my FZ1S riding back from Spain I filled the bars with diving shot.

bar end off, a funnel and lots of rattling and tamping.

Worked a treat.

Yeah, i remembered i have a 30Kg weight vest in the attic with bags & bags of small lead pellets :) Its going in there today as it seems to have stopped pissin down....!

killerwhaleTRX

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2020, 08:38:48 pm »
Barends made it better, hard rubber in the rizoma risers also a bit better but not good. It was lead powder in the bads so got to get me some pellets.

Talked to a guy who owned a MT-09 and he said he had to put his old iPhone 6 as a gps because his 11 vibrated til it broke.
He also get white hands on a new bike, guess its a yamaha feature :)