Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:18 pm

Author Topic: What a Difference a Week Makes  (Read 4172 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
What a Difference a Week Makes
« on: 02 October 2017, 09:54:05 am »
Just over a week ago I was enjoying a trip to the South of France on the Fazer.Each day just make it up as you go along and trust in your own resourcefulness if a problem arises.Fast forward to today.Came away to Tenerife on Saturday,staying in a 5 star hotel that my wife and I always promised ourselves we'd stay in one day when renting apartments across the road.The 5 star occasion being our 50th wedding anniversary in a few days time, and my 71st birthday today.What a great way to start the day finding out that Monarch,our airline, have gone down the swanee.
Personally I'll worry about it next week when we're due home, but my missus is well upset about it, which I hope isn't going to spoil the rest of our stay.
Give me a puncture in the pouring rain any day,at least I know I'll get it sorted one way or another. :lol
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: What a Difference a Week Makes
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2017, 10:10:26 am »
Robbo

Enjoy the break. You have nothing to worry about with the Monarch collapse as all return flights are being sorted out by the CAA and are pretty much to the same (within a few hours) schedule as the original flights.
All the flight details are being posted on https://monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-am-currently-abroad/my-new-flight/

The worst affected people (other than the staff) are the ones who were due to fly out in the next few days as they wont have time to get their money back and rebook something else.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2017, 11:07:05 am »

cheer up Ryanair is taking over ---so you may never get back home.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2017, 11:38:45 am »
I can think of worse things in life than being stuck in Tenerife haha In fact i'd give my left nut right now to be stuck somewhere hot with a beach and some bikini laden women about 😂😂
« Last Edit: 02 October 2017, 11:47:03 am by Dudeofrude »

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2017, 12:58:32 pm »
Don't worry Robbo, its all over the news etc that everyone will get back ok, just go to the airport same time as usual.
they will contact you 48 hrs before apparently. they all say don't go early or do anything different..

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2017, 01:05:32 pm »
I'm sure your holiday rep will have all the information soon. Make sure they know you were flying with Monarch (most of the other holidaymakers will be with Monarch too) so they are up to speed with who needs help/advice for the return flight.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2017, 01:09:37 pm »
You know what women are like.I've said don't worry about until the day we go home we're ATOL protected etc.Just got 6 bottles of wine in,so she's either going to be chilled out or unconscious.Either way it will save me from any more earache. :lol

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2017, 05:43:01 pm »
Promised myself to return to Tenerife. What Hotel are you staying at?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2017, 11:36:27 pm »
Adeje Gran.Can't fault it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2017, 12:01:34 am »
Just found out my re-arranged flight details due to the Monarch fiasco. We leave 6 hours later than booked, and fly to Birmingham,which is really handy when you live 20 miles from Gatwick. I presume we then get coached back to Gatwick in the early hours.We don't find out the actual arrangement until getting to Brum.What a shambles.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2017, 06:20:22 pm »
:thumbup

Its not a shambles. It's ATOL at work. They could have left you in Tenerife to find your own way home :pokefun

Its a lot cheaper to send a bigger plane and consolidate flights. If your lucky you get to go to your departure airport by plane. If your not quite so lucky, they will bus you the last part.
The even less luck will be put on a bus from Malaga and driven all the way back to Glasgow

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2017, 06:29:48 pm »
How will it effect if you have paid airport parking which asks for a return time and if you go over that then you are supposed to pay more
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2017, 07:13:25 pm »
I would fully expect to make my own arrangements to get home if I hadn't booked an ATOL covered holiday,which is why I'd never consider booking a non ATOL trip. I was prepared for a departure time change,but not to be flown 120 mile or so out of my way to then be bussed back.It does seem to be a lottery regarding where you"re flown to.
If tomorrows flight turns out to be a CAA charter to get non ATOL travellers home, I shall be even more pissed off.
Regarding carparking, which doesn't affect me, I believe those people will get excesses up to £20 paid on production of a receipt.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 October 2017, 08:12:31 pm »
brum airport is crap,  expect  two hours between plane landing and walking through the main exit,      its been like it all year.       I will NEVER go near that shithole again.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 October 2017, 09:46:00 pm »
I know it's not ideal - far from it in fact - but you will get home and it will be one holiday to remember for the wrong reasons.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 October 2017, 10:13:03 pm »
 :lol I expect my coach home will be Delboy's Reliant van. That will just about , as my Mum used to say, put the tin hat on it. :lol (don't know why I'm laughing).

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 October 2017, 10:51:40 pm »
brum airport is crap,  expect  two hours between plane landing and walking through the main exit,      its been like it all year.       I will NEVER go near that shithole again.
I came through it last week and was outside after waiting at the baggage claim all within 1 hour But that was a Friday 11.30 pm, parking costs a fortune there so would use again either
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: 10 October 2017, 08:54:36 am »
a couple of years ago I took the family on a trip which involved flying from London City > Paris > Guadeloupe and then back from Guadeloupe > Paris > London City.

So, rather than piling on a train or paying extortionate prices for parking up there (we live next to Gatwick) we took a taxi to London City. The trip out was great as was the holiday. On the way back however, the French air traffic controllers went on strike. This resulted in all short haul flights from Paris being cancelled. We landed in Paris and were told to go find our bags and call a number in a day or two when they may be able to get us on a flight back to London. Not great when you have just got off an overnight flight and actually needed to be back in the UK the next morning for work/whatever.

No other transport options were offered to us apart from up to €250 each if we organise our own onward travel.

Strangely enough, ALL of the hire companies at the airport had massively increased their costs for that day. It cost me something like €700 to hire a Ford Galaxy to take the 5 of us and our cases to Calais on a one way hire. €700 for 3 hours of feccin use!!!!!!!

Once in Calais it was another €30 for the 10 min taxi to the port and another €150-200 for the 5 of us to get on a ferry as foot passengers.

Once back in the UK, the taxi we had booked to pick us up from London, picked us up from Dover but charged us another £100 for the privilege.

All of this was claimed back (with receipts) but I had to dig deep that day to get us all home. The only thing air France wouldn't pay for was the beer I bought on the ferry. I needed a couple after all of that!

These Monarch passengers don't even know they're born :pokefun

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 October 2017, 11:14:26 pm »

Well, finally got home yesterday just after midday, having jumped in a taxi to Tenerife South airport at 3:30 the previous afternoon. We were notified that our rearranged flight would depart at 20:20 so arrived at the airport just before 16:00, expecting a lengthy check in procedure, as seats would need to be allocated, and the Boeing 777 that was provided had a capacity of around 380. The destination board indicated we should use check in desks 23-26, however when we got there they were already being used by TUI for a German flight to Stuttgart. A few other Monarch customers were already queuing amongst the Germans, so we joined them.
After a while the German rep told us to get out of the queue or she'd call the police and we'd be arrested. After wishing her "good luck with that", the police did turn up, but just walked around the combined German/Monarch line of people, and left. Shortly afterwards check in desk 23 started to display our flight code and the slow check in began. There was to be no seat allocation, so once on board it would just be a bun fight to get a seat.
The 20:20 departure time got put back to 21:30, but as the departure gate number was only announced at 20:30 we weren't holding our breath. After standing at the gate for 2 hours we finally boarded the plane at about 22:45, only to be told that due to the French air traffic control strike, we wouldn't be allowed to take off even though we wouldn't have been in French airspace until after the 01:00 finish time of the strike. So after a further two and a quarter hours twiddling our thumbs we finally took off at 01:00, landing at Birmingham around 04:40.
More fun and games waiting for our luggage whiled away another 2 hours again standing, as there were no seats. The transfer coach left at 07:00 to take us to Gatwick arriving there three and a half hours later after getting caught up in the severe congestion at the M40/25 junction. Our minicab from Gatwick got us home at 12:30, exactly 21 hours since leaving our hotel in Tenerife.
There seemed to be no advantage in having ATOL insurance, as no one that I spoke to on our flight had it, and to claim for any out of pocket food expense needed receipts which neither Tenerife or Gatwick would supply. I feel I need a holiday after that lot, a few days fishing on the Wye should do it.

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2017, 09:56:19 am »
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2017, 08:25:51 pm »
I feel I need a holiday after that lot, a few days fishing on the Wye should do it.

Get yer bike out this weekend and enjoy some nice British weather. Although the fishing trip sounds like a perfect way to unwind after your 'holiday'.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2017, 10:27:39 pm »
Damn right.Run to Loomies on Sunday already planned. :lol