Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

General techniques: Cleaning brake pistons.

<< < (3/3)

roxburd:

--- Quote from: agricola on 28 October 2018, 07:37:12 pm ---Lid off the master cylinder, then try pushing them in a little more. It could be that one of the pistons has crabbed, so they might need to be pumped out a little again, checked for squarness to the bores, then eased back in again. Failing that, it might be that you need to pull them out for seal replacement etc. To clean the crap out of the seal locations, I use a small pick tool. There are normally three in a set, one right angled, one oblique, and a straight one. Soak the crap first with something like penetrating fluid to loosen it up. Dont scratch the bores

--- End quote ---

Cheers dude

ogri48:
you guys probably know this, but if you use a vacuum pump to pull the fluid out when you've changed lines or just bleeding( I do), take the bleed nipple out and wind a bit of plumbers ptfe tape around it, then screw it back in but not fully. nip it up when your done, and take off any ptfe excess with a scalpel or Stanley blade if it offends your eyes lol.. stops air getting pulled in around the bleed nipple threads. ;)

darrsi:

--- Quote from: roxburd on 28 October 2018, 06:43:14 pm ---I *was* happy with the job... until I tried spinning the front wheel and found that with a good heave it only manages one rotation. I can also hear slight rubbing. Without the calipers the front spins freely so the bearings are fine. The discs don't get massively hot but still, it's not right.

Is it worth lubricating the pistons as it advises in the Haynes manual (silicone grease)? Would that make any difference? Or, as I suspect, is it going to be crap built up behind the seals causing the seals to grip the pistons? Or the seals themselves swelling for some reason and gripping the pistons? Either way, that means a proper overhaul. Bugger.

Anything I should be aware of doing a full overhaul? What's the best way to clean out the seal recesses given the difficulty in accessing them? In the past I've found muck in there that needs cleaning out.

--- End quote ---

Don't use anything other than Red Rubber Grease on brake pistons. You can use it to keep the rubber seals in place, and aid the refitting of the pots, and it will prolong the life of the rubber.
Then smear it on the exposed area of the pots before pushing them back in so that the pads can be placed.
I service mine just before winter kicks in and then around April when it warms up again, and it keeps them functioning perfectly all year round.

roxburd:

--- Quote from: darrsi on 09 June 2019, 10:56:31 am ---Don't use anything other than Red Rubber Grease on brake pistons. You can use it to keep the rubber seals in place, and aid the refitting of the pots, and it will prolong the life of the rubber.
Then smear it on the exposed area of the pots before pushing them back in so that the pads can be placed.
I service mine just before winter kicks in and then around April when it warms up again, and it keeps them functioning perfectly all year round.

--- End quote ---

Cheers dude, good tips!

b1k3rdude:
I use the old cable tie trick around the pistons. But I also have a sealy caliper piston tool, to spin the pistons also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version