Date: 28-03-24  Time: 18:44 pm

Author Topic: Heateg Grips too long!  (Read 3855 times)

Bizbauer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Heateg Grips too long!
« on: 04 December 2015, 03:35:06 pm »
Hi all,

Currently fitting some R&G Heated grips to my '02 foxeye to get me through the winter up here...

While checking all the bits for fit and size noticed the R&G grips are a full 10mm longer than the existing grips (125mm vs 115mm as standard).  I'm kinda nervous about chopping this amount off the grip for fear of cutting through the heating element; and the controls won't go inboard due to the notches on the bars so has anyone got any advice so get by this issue? 

Has anyone come across this before?

Have the standard bars fitted which I like so wasn't wanting to have to get Renthals or similar just to get warm hands.

Cheers

'02 Foxeye, Blue
'05 WR250F
'06 Disco 3 S

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Heateg Grips too long!
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2015, 04:09:17 pm »
Have you not got bar end weights?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Bizbauer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2015, 05:58:40 pm »
Yes I do....?
 And as they are, they'll compress against the new grip....

'02 Foxeye, Blue
'05 WR250F
'06 Disco 3 S

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2015, 06:37:00 pm »
If I remember correctly I had to have my throttle side end weight turned down on a lathe at work to get around this issue, you want it to just clear so the throttle will snap shut otherwise it's obviously dangerous plus an MOT fail.
Doesn't really matter so much on the left side.
You don't really want to use smaller/lighter ones in case you start getting vibration in your hands.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2015, 08:42:35 pm »
The element doest go all the way to the ends of the grip so they can be trimmed, however I understand your trepidation!
Some say...

Tiercel

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2015, 01:47:06 pm »
I got a set of R&G heated grips too and having the exact same problem! although mines the boxeye not fox and bars are slightly longer it seems, only overhangs by about 3mm or so, I got around this by fitting a few shims on the screw that holds the bar end, so it still tightens up fully but doesnt press against the grip. Not sure if you could do the same, might be worth a shot but 10mm is a bit more of a significant gap :P I'd be tempted to try it and threadlock the bar end screw so it doesnt wobble loose from not being fully sunk in.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2015, 10:23:54 pm »
The Oxford grips come in a variety of widths. They were £49 at the bike show. Just saying ......

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2015, 08:31:00 am »
While we're on the subject, i fitted these heated grips to my bike a few months ago and they are THE best ones i've ever used by far.
Stupidly warm, with about 5 settings, and so far i've never gone past the 3rd setting 'cos they're so bloody hot, even with winter gloves on.

100% recommended, and a bargain too.  :thumbup

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DR-BIKE-HEATED-GRIPS-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-KEEP-WARM-UNIVERSAL-22MM-FIT-/140679718518?hash=item20c12a2676:m:mIASsqFU_45thVg02WMDjrQ
« Last Edit: 06 December 2015, 08:34:01 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2015, 08:33:37 am »
Hi all,

Currently fitting some R&G Heated grips to my '02 foxeye to get me through the winter up here...

While checking all the bits for fit and size noticed the R&G grips are a full 10mm longer than the existing grips (125mm vs 115mm as standard).  I'm kinda nervous about chopping this amount off the grip for fear of cutting through the heating element; and the controls won't go inboard due to the notches on the bars so has anyone got any advice so get by this issue? 

Has anyone come across this before?

Have the standard bars fitted which I like so wasn't wanting to have to get Renthals or similar just to get warm hands.

Cheers

If you're still pondering what to do, send me the bar end with EXACT measurements of what you want sorted and i can get it turned down at work and back in the post the same day for you.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2015, 11:56:40 am »
I didn't replace my weights when I changed to Renthals, maybe they're much less prone to vibration but I get nothing at any rev range.  I've stuck some anchor bolts in the bars and secured with a washer to keep the hot grips on.  It's also a bit easier with Renthals I guess as there's no locating hole for the controls.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

infiniteloop

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 December 2015, 12:05:02 pm »
While we're on the subject, i fitted these heated grips to my bike a few months ago and they are THE best ones i've ever used by far.
Stupidly warm, with about 5 settings, and so far i've never gone past the 3rd setting 'cos they're so bloody hot, even with winter gloves on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DR-BIKE-HEATED-GRIPS-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-KEEP-WARM-UNIVERSAL-22MM-FIT-/140679718518?hash=item20c12a2676:m:mIASsqFU_45thVg02WMDjrQ

Got these on my bike too darrsi…absolutely the business..!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 December 2015, 01:17:59 pm »

Got these on my bike too darrsi…absolutely the business..!!

I've had a few sets over the years, but none have been anywhere near as hot as these can get.

Bizbauer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 December 2015, 01:17:17 pm »

These look identical to the R&G ones; copies or rebranded?

That's exactly why I bought the R&Gs darrsi but with this length issue, I might have to swap them for the Oxfords, although it'd be cheaper to get Renthals if I can't return the R&G! What bars are you and infiniteloop running?
Just spoke to R&G who said I could maybe take 5mm off, but they'd still be overhanging the bar by 5mm.  :'(
'02 Foxeye, Blue
'05 WR250F
'06 Disco 3 S

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 December 2015, 04:27:07 pm »

These look identical to the R&G ones; copies or rebranded?

That's exactly why I bought the R&Gs darrsi but with this length issue, I might have to swap them for the Oxfords, although it'd be cheaper to get Renthals if I can't return the R&G! What bars are you and infiniteloop running?
Just spoke to R&G who said I could maybe take 5mm off, but they'd still be overhanging the bar by 5mm.  :'(

Could just be rebranded, I know Oxford rebrand some of their heated grips, exactly the same but cheaper, the fella in the bike shop even told me straight about it a few years back!
A quick solution is to remove the location pin and slide everything down a bit, it's what people do when they use Renthal bars anyway so it's no big deal. Might need some amalgamating tape or something to for the controls to grip to stop it from moving about though.
I'm still using OEM bars but as I said I had my end weight turned down for clearance.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 December 2015, 05:34:24 pm »
Have you considered drilling another hole in the handlebars to fit the notch in the original switchgear on, you would just need to drill it same diameter inline with the original hole to suit the lenght of the hotgrip.

Bizbauer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 December 2015, 10:51:40 am »
Have you considered drilling another hole in the handlebars to fit the notch in the original switchgear on, you would just need to drill it same diameter inline with the original hole to suit the lenght of the hotgrip.

Yeah was thinking that slappy, it won't reduce the strength of the bars too much would it?

And I'll still have an overhang on the throttle tube; anyone know where you can get 125mm throttle tubes?

'02 Foxeye, Blue
'05 WR250F
'06 Disco 3 S