Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:30 am

Author Topic: HELP! EXUP Nightmare  (Read 2036 times)

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
HELP! EXUP Nightmare
« on: 11 June 2017, 10:35:35 am »

Hey all,

I decided to service the EXUP yesterday and discovered that one of the bolts securing the cable bracket was sheared off - that'll be why the cables were loose then!

I knew the sheared bolt was a show-stopper but I thought I'd press on and see if I could do the service, reassemble and then decide what to do about it. But despite plenty of care and penetrating oil, one of the other bolts also sheared and the last one's allen head rounded out. So I now have the top two sheared off and the bottom one siezed in place without any purchase for turning it.

It's a thousand - 2001 model with 37k miles.

So it looks to me like the whole exhaust has to come out in order to drill out the bolts... and that probably means more sheared header bolts.

And I don't have a great history with drilling bolts out, myself.

So I'm planning on calling my local mechanic and asking what the damage will be if I drop it off to him unless I get any other suggestions.

For riding it down to him, I was hoping to pull the fuse out to disable the EXUP servo but it doesn't seem to have a dedicated fuse. So I guess I'll just make sure the cables wont fall out and leave it running but disconnected. And the valve held closed.

Grrrr. Any ideas, suggestions, gotchas, advice or estimates of what the mechanic will charge much appreciated!

Dave

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! EXUP Nightmare
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2017, 11:04:47 am »
it's a job that can be done with patience without taking the headers off, and if you can use a drill it's not that difficult really..slow and steady when drilling out the stumps!!
Plenty of threads here showing "how to" including drill bits to use and thread sizes for taps..
I used a good battery drill on slow speed and Heller metal drill bits from local toolstation..
But if your'e really worried about doing it,hope you know a good engineer/mechanic ;)

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 June 2017, 11:21:38 am »
Cheers Clive... I had a quick go at drilling one of the bolts out and my drill bit made no impact on the stump at all... I guess I need to read up on drill bits.

Then there's the problem with getting the alignment right - one of the bolts was so high up that my drill fouled on the chassis, making it impossible to drill at the right angle. I guess I need to find the right threads to figure out how then...

You comment on knowing a good mechanic got my attention - I do like things done right... :-/

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 June 2017, 11:32:36 am »
Ha! The first post I found says DO NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF, confirming exactly all my concerns:

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,19157.msg221788.html#msg221788

Yeah, I've had bad experiences of trying to drill bolts out in-situ and I don't fancy having to replace the entire headers/manifold assembly.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2017, 03:09:55 pm »
yet another can of worms !!!! :rolleyes

good luck with the project whichever route you go down.. :thumbup

daveclark

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - bergman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2017, 03:31:46 pm »
I'd start oiling up your header bolts, if you want it doing right there going to have to come off. Make sure you clean the threads before you start unbolting.

roxburd

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 June 2017, 03:51:15 pm »
I'd start oiling up your header bolts, if you want it doing right there going to have to come off. Make sure you clean the threads before you start unbolting.

Good call - will do that now!

Dustydes

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fzr1000 exup street fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2017, 10:48:19 am »

Don't even start without lots of heat.
You will need something like this to get as hot as possible and mole grips if bolts are round off.
Heat is key if they are corroded
I had to cut nuts off using a Dremmel so as to leave as much stud as possible.
Even then I had to drill out 2 and retap.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2017, 10:54:35 am »
everyone recommends MAPP gas with a rothenberger loads hotter than butane blowtorch..get one for about £50 which sounds a lot but loads of other uses around the house and on rusty bits !! :lol

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2017, 12:19:16 pm »
Map and Rothern is what I have and it burns seriously hot. Wildplum my mate has Map gas linked up to a torch with an oxygen supply and can actually braze/weld with cooper rods, he makes copper art work. 

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2017, 07:46:53 pm »
Just my two penn'orth. I've used my local dealers Flitwick Yamaha several times and every time they get the sheared bolts out using the old weld-a-nut-on trick. Usually around 70 quid.

As for getting the headers off, as DustyDudes said, use lots of heat and they should be ok. Having said that, on a system that has seen little maintenance, the studs can gall into the aluminium head and shear no matter how much heat you apply. That leaves you with a real problem - last time, I had to drop the engine out and take that down to the dealer along with the exhaust.

Oh, and just getting the silencer off can be a nightmare too.

Honestly, if the header stud nuts look terminal, just bite the bullet and take the bike to a dealer.