Date: 26-04-24  Time: 10:46 am

Author Topic: Starting Issue - AGAIN  (Read 9608 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Issue - AGAIN
« Reply #50 on: 14 December 2016, 09:00:45 am »
Wheeled the bike out the garage, put it on the centre stand (side stand up), and it started instantly, no choke or anything.  :woot

That doesn't mean it's instantly fixed, I want it to do the same again this evening after work, so if it starts again straight away i'll look into another way of securely bypassing the side stand switch, either soldering, using a connecting block, or maybe even one of those solder/heatshrink jobbies that were on here the other day.

Just spoke to a work colleague who was unfortunately just walking out of reception last night when my bike backfired, he said he nearly filled his pants.  :rollin
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 14 December 2016, 03:32:46 pm »
Found this on Face Book, I know its got nothing to do with this thread but it made me smile.
So here goes:

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 14 December 2016, 04:26:01 pm »
Found this on Face Book, I know its got nothing to do with this thread but it made me smile.
So here goes:

That all looks and sounds rather familiar  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 14 December 2016, 07:20:34 pm »
Bike started on the centre stand again, outside work this evening, first go.
I can't believe that poxy side stand switch can cause so much grief.
At least i have a good idea of the cause now, which is the main thing.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 14 December 2016, 09:16:12 pm »
If the side stand switch has been bypassed the position of the stand shouldn't have any effect on the bike. All that side stand switch is doing is connecting a wire together when the stand is up. By bypassing it you've permanently joined the wire so the position of the stand should now have no effect. That's why bypassing it is a bit dodgy, you can ride off with your stand down. Is you side stand still connected to the main loom? If it is then disconnect it and you can use two spade terminals on a loop of wire to bypass it. It's a bodge but it works

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x237/joejoe69_album/IMG00402-20100410-1807.jpg

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 15 December 2016, 05:54:47 pm »
Just a quick one on the side stand switch, If it was the issue it would not operate the starter and would not be turning over.
Side stand switch is not the issue, the fact the engine turns over rules out the starting circuit of which the side stand switch is a part of.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 15 December 2016, 07:57:09 pm »
Just a quick one on the side stand switch, If it was the issue it would not operate the starter and would not be turning over.
Side stand switch is not the issue, the fact the engine turns over rules out the starting circuit of which the side stand switch is a part of.

Started instantly 4 times in a row now, morning and evening, with the side stand up!
That can't be coincidence surely?

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 15 December 2016, 08:45:29 pm »
If its starting when the side stands up or when its on the centre stand then I would hazard a guess that something ain't right with the float bowls or the level of fuel in them when its lent over. Or maybe the fuel pick up in the tank?
Just a thought..........

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 16 December 2016, 06:56:32 am »
If its starting when the side stands up or when its on the centre stand then I would hazard a guess that something ain't right with the float bowls or the level of fuel in them when its lent over. Or maybe the fuel pick up in the tank?
Just a thought..........

I will try starting the bike whilst sitting on it when it's upright, but with the sidestand still down, and try your theory out when i go to work in an hour.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 16 December 2016, 09:42:08 am »
Just a thought..........

So......I sat on the bike with the bike in upright position, sidestand down.......and it started.

Now, before getting too excited, I still have to bear in mind that I've got my bike tanked up with around 400ml of 99% proof booze in case it had moisture in the system and that may also have made an improvement, so what I need to do when going home from work tonight is try it again on the side stand and see what happens?

I'll keep you posted.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 16 December 2016, 10:31:21 am »
I've got my bike tanked up with around 400ml of 99% proof Isopropyl
Darrsi's Fazer
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 16 December 2016, 10:38:57 am »

It's more like this at the moment  :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 16 December 2016, 10:52:28 pm »
Came out of work this evening, pressed the button, bike on sidestand......started immediately!

This is all now aiming at water settling in the carbs when the bike is leant over all day/night.
I reckon the 99% alcohol has started doing its job in the tank, clearing the water by binding and burning it off.

I'll keep trying it now on the sidestand and see what happens.

If this is the reason then i presume the only way for water to enter the tank is via the tank cap?
So, what is the preferred and most effective way of stopping water from penetrating the tank in future?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 17 December 2016, 08:53:49 am »
Hmmm, just been having a read, and someone mentioned having water in their fuel pump!
I s'pose as any water/moisture lies low it could remain dormant and slowly build up over time causing starting problems.
Even more good reason to use the alcohol trick to flush it from the system.  :D

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 17 December 2016, 10:06:11 am »
I had a old z1000 a few years back that suffered these intermittent problems, and the fix given to me by a old zed head was brilliantly simple. As the fellers have said the low tension side of things doesn't take a lot to drastically alter the high tension side. If your getting say 11 volts at the coils instead of 12, multiplying many many times over and being converted to high tension that one volt loss becomes a helluva lot more. If you check the voltage to the coils ( low tension) you may well find there's a drop, caused by old wiring and old joints leaking off voltage which is what my problem was. Fix was to run a live feed to the coils direct from the battery via a relay, useing the original coil live feed as the switch wire. Sounds simple because it is, but it worked, plugs ran a lot cleaner too. Just another thing to look into mate :-) also, that bike ran dreadfully on iridium plugs, as have a few I've owned, no idea why, some bikes just don't like the buggers..:-)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 17 December 2016, 10:39:48 am »
I had a old z1000 a few years back that suffered these intermittent problems, and the fix given to me by a old zed head was brilliantly simple. As the fellers have said the low tension side of things doesn't take a lot to drastically alter the high tension side. If your getting say 11 volts at the coils instead of 12, multiplying many many times over and being converted to high tension that one volt loss becomes a helluva lot more. If you check the voltage to the coils ( low tension) you may well find there's a drop, caused by old wiring and old joints leaking off voltage which is what my problem was. Fix was to run a live feed to the coils direct from the battery via a relay, useing the original coil live feed as the switch wire. Sounds simple because it is, but it worked, plugs ran a lot cleaner too. Just another thing to look into mate :-) also, that bike ran dreadfully on iridium plugs, as have a few I've owned, no idea why, some bikes just don't like the buggers..:-)

Thanks for the tip.
The bike runs spot on once started,and i couldn't be happier with it.
I've changed a lot of parts recently just to rule them out, which weren't expensive, and bearing in mind the bikes age i thought it wouldn't hurt anyway.
For now it does seem like the problem has been found, but i'll put some more booze in the tank next time i fill it up to make sure it clears any leftover moisture out.
And anyway, everyone deserves a drink at Xmas, even my bike.  :b

I never really needed to change my plugs, as because they were Iridium there is probably years left on them as i don't do high mileage, but i did notice i had CR9EIX plugs in before but replaced them with CR8EIX ones, but i doubt very much that it makes any difference at all to the running of the bike, as they both cover our climate quite comfortably. I kept them so can always change them back if i want, but i really don't feel the need to.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 17 December 2016, 02:36:49 pm »
Came out of work this evening, pressed the button, bike on sidestand......started immediately!

If this is the reason then i presume the only way for water to enter the tank is via the tank cap?
So, what is the preferred and most effective way of stopping water from penetrating the tank in future?

Or a dirty supply at the point of re-fueling, try a different gas station.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 17 December 2016, 03:35:15 pm »

Or a dirty supply at the point of re-fueling, try a different gas station.

I mainly use the same garage simply because it's the only one that does 97 RON fuel that i know of. Not keen on the 95, and 99 is okay but is a waste of money for a commuter bike.