Date: 29-03-24  Time: 05:35 am

Author Topic: BMW S1000RR shock conversion question  (Read 33962 times)

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
BMW S1000RR shock conversion question
« on: 13 October 2012, 06:59:59 pm »
Hi all,

New to the forum but been reading for a while and impressed with the knowledge out there.

So having studies the forum for a while, I've made several mods so far - jack-up kit, braided lines, Ivans soon.... Was going to do an R6 shock upgrade but read about the BMW S1000RR conversion and one was on ebay for £80, so bought that.

All fitted OK after drilling washers etc., but what I was surprised about was that I couldn't get the appropriate sag...too saggy even with the preload wound right up. I measured 20-25mm of unladen sag with that increasing to about 45mm with me sitting on it. Not good. That's with the STD dog bones as I like it a bit higher. I took off the shorter dog bones as it was so high with the BMW shock that the rear wheel touched the ground with the centrestand down!

What's confusing me is that on this and other forums the BMW spring is supposed to be firmer than the Yamaha one, but I managed to get the STD shock to the right pre-load no bother. So that would indicate that the BMW spring is actually softer??

Took it for a spin and it felt so much better than STD, especially the damping. Any thoughts appreciated. Thinking of getting an uprated (BMW) spring from Ktech for £85 fitted.

I'm around 14stone in all my gear.

Rich

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
Re: BMW S1000RR shock conversion question
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2012, 07:40:38 pm »
i think you will find that the yank did a lot of changes on the spring settling on a honda item

yes the shock is cheaper but not the same like for like v a r6 unit

add the extra cost on springs seems a odd choice

i looked into it and followed the posts as im all up for new idea's but diddnt see a bolt on solution

try finding a spring s/h om ebay to keep ya cost down
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2012, 08:01:01 pm »
Thanks for the comments. Yes, read through all the American stuff. The bloke that fitted his was a big fella (16St/225 lbs)and that's why he needed the bigger spring. I was surprised that I couldn't get the sag sorted when it's supposed to have a stiffer spring than the fazer. That was the confusing thing...

It is a high quality item though and already feels much better than the STD shock.

I read I can fit a CBR1000RR 04/05 spring straight on, but I can't find any of them for sale (at decent money). Might ride it for now and upgrade to a better spring later. Even with a Ktech spring, it will come in at £165 which is pretty good I think.

If it all goes wrong, I can always buy an R6 one one of yours...

Rich

Jinx46

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2012, 10:58:10 pm »
Have a look at this post that i put up http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,4041.0.html

I've had no problems since fitting this shock.The bike handles great.No need to change the spring.
Fit your shock with some dogbones from a '99 gsxr 750 and see for yourself.  :)

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2012, 08:12:48 am »
Thanks Jinx,

Had seen your post. In fact, that's what persuaded me try it :)

There's no question that the sag* is wrong though, but I agree it feels SO much better than the original shock. I went down my fave bumpy back road and it was so compliant and smooth. A world of difference. But I think it could be better if I got the right spring to get the sag as it should be. Just me probably being over the top to get it exactly right.

*Have you measured the rear sag on your Fazer? That might help me understand more.

Cheers
Rich

t140

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - T140W
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2012, 12:04:32 pm »
fitted one of these about 2 months ago, no problems with spring rate and a big improvement in damping compared to the origonal
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2012, 04:21:50 pm »
Cheers for the comments. I agree and having ridden it this morning to work on 20 miles of back roads, I have to say it's transformed the bike. If I hadn't have measured the sag, I wouldn't be complaining..perhaps I'm being too fussy, but felt that it could be even better with a stiffer spring. Then again, that would probably overwhelm the standard front forks!!

Rich

Jinx46

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2012, 09:16:53 pm »
Hi Rich,

Have i measured the sag on my Fazer?
No. Couldn't be arsed with all that.  :lol

I used a set up i found here:-ttp://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/suspension/146_suggested_suspension_settings/viewall.html#ixzz1vkaD3BNK
which is for the s1000rr.
I then used this as a start point and tweaked it from there.
The ride is really good,even with some weight in the top box and panniers  :)

Cheers

Tony

t140

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - T140W
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2012, 10:53:33 am »
I checked the settings in the bmw handbook, via google
Nobody is perfect, but being Scottish is a start

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 October 2012, 06:34:46 pm »
Thanks both,

The bmw is a full 25kg lighter than the Fazer though, hence settings for that bike won't necessarily work with the Fazer. I think that's why the static sag's too much as standard when the shock goes on the Fazer.

No problem though..if you're happy, you're happy.

Rich

Minty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - TTR-250
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 December 2012, 01:07:45 pm »
Anyone got any thoughts fitting this shock with jack up dog bones on? do you think the longer dog bones/height will be any different to a standard height setup?

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2012, 03:53:12 pm »
No, with the shorter dog bones (jack up kit) it won't fit. I've tried but the back wheel is on the ground with the centre stand! It's because the shock is a different size. If you put the standard dog bones on it will be about 20 to 25mm higher than stock. Works for me. I'm just about to get mine resprung at ktech with a stiffer spring and will report back.

allanmac

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 December 2012, 08:09:01 pm »
Read a lot about this on the american forums definately the spring rate thats wrong for the fazer I think it was a fireblade spring they were fitting to replace the bm one.
Cheers Allan

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 December 2012, 11:50:41 pm »
No, with the shorter dog bones (jack up kit) it won't fit

+1 for the r6 shock then :rollin

streach wrote on usa site
If you are over 200 lbs, you may want to try the CBR1000RR spring. It worked well for me.

shock for donor spring looks like this

www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 January 2013, 12:44:12 pm »
I have bought one of the BMW shocks too, to note from my internet research - there are 2 different sizes, the 2010 & 2011 ones with the gold bottom clevis will jack up a Fazer with standard dog bones, by an inch, but a shock from a 2012 BMW won't.
I am getting mine drilled by a mate at work, but what else do I need in temrs of washers to bolt this straight in, I was hoping to gather the materials and get it done this weekend.
I had a right result, £65 delivered and no need to change dog bones...!  :D

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 January 2013, 08:38:20 pm »
Sounds good. All you need is 2 x 2-2.5mm washers araldited to the top shock and then it will go straight on. Use the same Fazer bolts.

I've just had a 95N/mm spring fitted on mine today (Standard BMW is 81N/mm and the Fazer is a soft 75N/mm). I've managed to get the static sag just right and although the roads were greasy it felt great. Even with the standard BMW spring it's way better than the Fazers. I weigh about 14 stone and tall.

The BMW shock is a quality piece of kit.

I found out about the 2012 being different too. Mine's  2011, hence nicely jacked-up just how I wanted it.

My mate popped out the top bush of the BMW shock and enlarged it on a lathe and it was much easier to do that he said.

Enjoy.

Rich

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 January 2013, 09:05:22 am »
Cheers Rich, are these washers just to pack it out sideways in the Fazer top mount? I need to order from ebay or similar, will 2 x 2.5mm ones go in or should I go for 2 x 2mm ?

Mate has taken the shock to work today, not sure if he will pop the bush out or just drill it in situ, if he succeeds and I can grab some washers, I'll hopefully chuck this in at the weekend.

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 January 2013, 04:34:16 pm »
Yes, exactly that to pack the top mount. I think mine were 2mm each. The best thing to do is measure the Fazer one when it's off, and then get exactly the same. Quite sure mine were 2mm each side though. The good news is there's loads of ally in the top mount so you can glue then nice and flush and they'll never move again.

Let me know what you think of it. I love mine. Got 15-17mm of static sag and about 30-35mm of rider sag. If you haven't changed the spring and you weigh more than 13stone, I'd wind the preload all the way to max (all threads showing). I had position 8 on the high speed compression (large nut at the top) and 9 on the slow speed compression (inner screwdriver at the top) and 7 on the rebound (bottom).

Let us know how you get on.

Rich

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 January 2013, 05:46:42 pm »
Cheers bud, will do. Max preload for me then, LOL, I am about 15.5 stone without bike gear on. Popped to B&Q and they have bags of M12 washers for a few quid, double that of ebay but more readily available.
My mate who has it for drilling the bush works in an engineering works so hopefully he can grab me a couple anyway.
Did you glue them to the mount or the shock? I can't get my head around why they need glueing to be honest, but it might be clear when I get it apart.
I'm hoping for a decent dry day so I can take some time to clean all in and around the swingarm and back wheel while it's apart, BUT with it still being winter and the fact I will still use the bike, it might wait until spring for a proper clean, she's all covered in FS365 at the moment anyway.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 January 2013, 06:13:25 pm »
The need to glue will become clear if you try to fit the shock and washers separately, mate ... ;) :) 

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 January 2013, 06:37:55 pm »
Yup I certainly agree, unless you have 6 hands ;)

You need to glue the washers to the shock itself. Make sure they're set before you fit the shock as impatient me went for it straight the way and it was still a slippin and a slidin.

Rich

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 January 2013, 10:59:35 am »
Got it back from my mate last night and he had some washers in his kitchen drawer  :D

I figured it out as soon as I looked at it, reckoning it would be a swine otherwise.

Going to glue them up tonight and do the change tomorrow.

I don't have a tool for the preload -  reckon I'd be able to wind it up by hand off the bike or wait til I can grab a C spanner?

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 January 2013, 02:05:49 pm »
No chance by hand. Spray some WD40 on it and it will help. Best to do it in situ on the bike. If you're careful a large blunt screwdriver and hammer :eek  That's what I did in the end as couldn't get my c spanner in the right position

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 January 2013, 09:29:34 am »
LOL, I did try by hand aswell, but NO, I'm not He-Man so failed.  :lol

Bit of a pain as I only thought the top mount needed drilling out, had to take it to a bike shop to have the lower one drilled and a new bolt sorted for it as the Yammy one was about 1/4" too short to support it.

All on and done though now, just needs setting up, preload is about half way and there is a bit too much sag, but it now feels a lot better damped, so I think it will be nice once I can wind it up.
Front end is also dropped about 10mm so I will level it back out to normal once I've jacked up the preload some more.

I think it will turn out to be a top mod for the money.  :D

richiomtt

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM 525EXC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 January 2013, 11:03:09 am »
Yep top and bottom need to be drilled but glad you got it on. My forks are also up 10 mm through the yokes and it's also jacked up at the rear (because of the BMW shock). It turns great now and no dog dragging it's bum feel. Also super stable... Enjoy.

Rich