Date: 29-03-24  Time: 08:03 am

Author Topic: Workshop Lift stand  (Read 1902 times)

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Workshop Lift stand
« on: 28 January 2020, 08:15:46 pm »
I used to be able to rummage about under the bike, but with the advancing years. I’m finding it more difficult to actually get up afterwards!
I’ve therefore decided that a Worksop lift stand is required.
Looking around there seems to be a baffling array of stands ranging from cheap eBay lifts to expensive tailor made air powered jobbies.
There’s also variations on a Skylift theme with a single pole giving front/back wheel up poses or level with the use of straps.

I’ve never been able to make a decision so wondered if you guys had any advice?

I’m drawn to something like the Clarke CML3, but I’m open to suggestions.
I’d really like to buy used (cause I’m a tight) but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop Lift stand
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2020, 08:30:08 pm »
I've had my Clarke CML3 for quite a few years now and has taken everything I've thrown at it. A couple of times a year Machine Mart have vat free events which would save you a few quid. However, if the Abba Skylift had been available all those years ago I would have gone for one of those as not only can they be stored away, there's the added facility of accessing the underside of the bike, as well as being able to have both wheels off the ground. Second hand CML3's do come up for sale but you'd need a van or trailer and some help to collect one as they're quite heavy.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2020, 08:34:02 pm »
I got mine from these people. Had no problems with it, good value for money https://www.kmsdirect.co.uk/tools-equipment/liftingtools

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2020, 09:02:16 pm »
I got mine from these people. Had no problems with it, good value for money https://www.kmsdirect.co.uk/tools-equipment/liftingtools

I was looking at this one too. Did you go for the 800 or 1000lb lift?
Looks like the 800 may be a little too short for the Fazer.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2020, 10:25:52 pm »
I bought one of these thirteen years ago. One of the best things i ever bought for making life easier as you get older and start noticing it.
The one i got is identical in size to the 800 lb one you are looking at. I find it plenty big enough for my 600 Fazer but i guess an advantage of the bigger one is there's more room on the table for all the tools and bits and pieces that end up on it from the bike. In my case I wouldn't want anything bigger because I've not much room to spare in the garage, but if space isn't a problem then the 1000 one might be a better bet for the extra cost. There are some about that aren't even the length of a motorbike unless you include the ramp, which I would certainly avoid. Not surprisingly you see them for sale secondhand!
I've never found a need to remove the lift out section at the back to remove the rear wheel. On mine (like the 800) it could do with a longer ramp so it's not so steep when pushing the bike up. Be aware the whole thing has a tendency to slide forward when the front wheel starts to go up the ramp, even with the front two jack things screwed down. I lost balance and nearly dropped the bike when this unexpectedly happened. I always chock mine at the front with a length of timber to the base of a solidly mounted lathe in front.
As already stated they are a heavy piece of kit and not a one man job to get in a van or on a trailer.
Definitely brinks a new joy to messing with the bike.  :)
« Last Edit: 28 January 2020, 10:29:30 pm by limax2 »

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2020, 08:53:39 am »

I was looking at this one too. Did you go for the 800 or 1000lb lift?
Looks like the 800 may be a little too short for the Fazer.

I had the 1000lb one. Bought in 2012, cost £329.99 then.

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2020, 10:14:34 am »
I’m also drawn to the Eazyrizer. https://on-bike.com/product-category/eazyrizer-original-red-mounts
I like the fact it’s small and you don’t need to buy a bike specific fitting kit (as per the Skylift).
Looks like it might be a bit fiddly to use though.

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2020, 07:38:02 pm »
Personally, I would prefer to have a scissor style bench to keep the floor space as those types are longer when down.
Something more like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SEAMC454-MC454-Hydraulic-Motorcycle/dp/B00U7OPNU6

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2020, 01:41:25 pm »
Personally, I would prefer to have a scissor style bench to keep the floor space as those types are longer when down.
Something more like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-SEAMC454-MC454-Hydraulic-Motorcycle/dp/B00U7OPNU6

That’s a point that I’d not considered.
My latest thought is to go for the Abba Skylift as I like the idea of being able to move the bike around.
The only slight negative is the need to have a bike specific fitting kit and the need to remove the swing arm pivot cover every time  I use it.
I’ve got a single garage and whilst I know I can park the bike on the table I still think the Skylift gives me the best flexibility.
Just need to get one at a good price.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2020, 06:29:28 pm »
The fitting kits are only around 18 quid, so not the end of the world. The best feature is as I posted earlier the ability to access underneath the bike. It folds away quite compactly, so you get back your garage floorspace when it's not required.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2020, 06:40:39 pm »
Never tried the skylift but the table lift has worked well for me. It takes up quite a bit of room in my single garage, as I have two bikes I generally just park on there all the time. In the past I have put the table life on its side with wooden blocks underneath. This too works OK but probably takes up a little more space. Had more garage space at my last place but still manage to get 2 bikes in plus the tools, workbench and various other stuff! Shed  houses the mower and garden stuff.

Whichever route you choose I’m sure will be a lot better than scrambling on the floor!

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2020, 12:00:46 pm »
god I wish I had any one of these lol

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2020, 07:42:16 pm »
god I wish I had any one of these lol

:lol  I’m Ok going down, but can’t jump up like I used too!
Still haven’t bought the Skylift either as I made up my mind, went to M&P to order it (have a discount code) and it’s out of bloody stock!! :'(

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 February 2020, 10:23:02 am »
Abba always discount them at the Peterborough Show, what used to be the BMF rally, but that's not until May sometime.

NitramA

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2020, 08:46:45 pm »
I ordered a Skylift from M&P along with a 10% discount which brought it down to about £420 including adapter and shipping.
Buyers remorse then kicked in as it seemed a shed load of money and I could see tables were coming in @ £50 or so less. I was also a bit concerned that whilst different adapters fit  350 bikes they weren’t necessarily the ones I might buy next. I liked the idea of the table being universal so I ended cancelling the order.
I was looking at the tables again when a Big Blue bike lift came up on Gumtree for a price I was much happier to pay, it was also only 2 miles away from me so I bought that instead.
Quite impressed with it so far too!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2020, 08:56:36 pm »
Result. :thumbup