Date: 29-03-24  Time: 00:57 am

Author Topic: winter maintence ,what you got planned ?  (Read 13442 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: winter maintence ,what you got planned ?
« Reply #125 on: 02 April 2020, 12:16:16 pm »
mmmmm...think i missed the deadline  :o ....time on my hands now so lets see if i can get it back together .as it is now...
One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 04 April 2020, 06:52:17 pm »
getting there....just a couple of bits to go.started up and up to temp and no water leaks  :thumbup i do have a slight oil weep from the oil cooler though thats for another day...

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 05 April 2020, 10:20:19 am »
Nice work Mr.Red :thumbup . Just gotta hope we can get out this year.
Is your mountain bike, hanging on the wall, a Trek?.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 05 April 2020, 01:14:01 pm »
hi ROBBO ...yep,hopefully we can get out towards the end of the year, was looking forward to the pioneer run but got cancelled, its diffacult to plan ahead with things as they are but its on my list for next year...

well spotted on the mountain bike, yes, its a TREK 3900 , had it a few years now and very happy with it, be out tomorrow for a bit of exercise, not done anything for over a week now  :o

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 05 April 2020, 02:51:45 pm »
When the lockdown finishes, we'll have to sort a good LOFO day out. Maybe my day trip to Cornwall if it's not too late in the year, as we'll start losing daylight past the end of August.
I've a Trek Excaliber. Maybe we could start a "Show us your mountain bike thread" :lol .

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 07 April 2020, 02:37:41 pm »
Should this thread be renamed to - what your going to achieve in the lockdown? :lol :lol :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 06 July 2020, 12:34:08 pm »
had to re-visit this waterpump/oil pump problem  :\ ...i have a small oil weep thats dripping onto the exhaust collector box,had to take the downpipes off to find the leak , its coming from the securing screw which holds the water pipe that hides behind the front sprocket cover,removing the screw and it dribbles out,wasnt expecting that so iam thinking of applying a bit of sealent to the screw and putting it back together...what do you lot think...good/bad idea ?

top left of the water pump hole,ive put the hex drive screw back in to stem the flow...
« Last Edit: 06 July 2020, 12:37:33 pm by red98 »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 06 July 2020, 02:05:35 pm »
Shouldn't be weeping oil from there mate are you sure that's where it's coming from?
Later

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 06 July 2020, 02:31:10 pm »
yes , bolts just hand tight if i remove it i get a constant dribble.with water pipe fitted and bolt tightened correctly its reduced to a weep,very strange...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 06 July 2020, 05:38:09 pm »
well....iam not having a good day  :\ ......released the rear wheel spindle, pushed the rear wheel forward and slipped the chain off both sprockets, rear wheel spins smoothly with no play in the bearings, front bearing sounds bl**dy awful, spins far too easily, has a bit of play and sounds bone dry...new bearing on FOWLERS is £105 :eek ...going to leave that for now as i think that`s an engine out job and split the cases hope iam wrong though...

right,where did i get too with the thou.......

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 06 July 2020, 05:42:57 pm »
well....iam not having a good day  :\ ......released the rear wheel spindle, pushed the rear wheel forward and slipped the chain off both sprockets, rear wheel spins smoothly with no play in the bearings, front bearing sounds bl**dy awful, spins far too easily, has a bit of play and sounds bone dry...new bearing on FOWLERS is £105 :eek ...going to leave that for now as i think that`s an engine out job and split the cases hope iam wrong though...

right,where did i get too with the thou.......

and thats how good my day has been..........finishing off by posting in the wrong thread  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

i am of course referring too my 600 steam powered boxeye    :o

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 06 July 2020, 05:55:02 pm »
lets see if i can get back on track  :rolleyes ......had another look at the thou, the tapped hole thats leaking oil is bored all the way through the engine cases,if i put a small screwdriver in there it touches the casing of the waterpump,if its not meant to be like that and someones sheared a bolt off,bored it out and gone too deep and re tapped it they have done a very good neat job, just a shame they went all the way through...i have owned the bike for 8 years so its done well...but what do i do now ?.......iam going to try some sealant i think,got nothing to loose...unless of course you lot know different....

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 06 July 2020, 06:27:06 pm »
Blimey Mr.Red, you're not having much luck, that's for sure. Could you seal the back of the hole with JB weld. Then cut down the bolt to make sure it doesn't go in too deep, if it's not under much stress.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 06 July 2020, 07:19:41 pm »
hi ROBBO, yeh ive had better days  :rolleyes ...to block the hole from the rear i would have to take the sump off and then the water pump might still be in the way...could probably get in there and block the hole on the inside with something and push the jb weld in from the outside making sure i keep the threads clear but i believe you can drill and tap that stuff anyway,plenty of depth there...got me thinking now  ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 08 July 2020, 05:15:26 pm »
more tinkering with the thou...i smeared a bit of instant gasket on the screw and bolted everything back together , ran up to temp and no leak from the screw  :)    but.....there is just a smear of oil coming from the water pipe which connects to the water pump/oil pump,big hole in the picture, the water pump pipe has an O ring which i have replaced from a "o ring assortment set" bought on ebay. this seals the pipe to retain the coolant, there is also an O ring on the outer edge of the water pump which the water pipe plugs into, this one stops the oil getting out, i replaced this one as well from the assortment set when i rebuilt the water pump/oil pump at the start of this thread, so iam thinking the O ring is not up to the job...looking on FOWLERS excellent website they list both O rings one is £0.93 the other £4.37...a bit more than just an O ring,ive ordered one and will put them side by side and see if i can see the difference, size or material there must be something different...

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 08 July 2020, 05:25:33 pm »
Mate as with everything there's O rings and O rings, many of these assortment sets are cheap Chinese copies are fine for cold water applications, sinks tapes etc.  They often aren't the correct material or size, 10ths of a mm make all the difference in automotive, heat, oils and fluids make the cheaper crap shrink, go brittle expand or melt. 

Later

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 08 July 2020, 06:12:19 pm »
 a lesson learnt, will take a close look at the O ring when i remove it and see how it failed, save anyone else making the same school boy error...

not the end of the world though, new O ring should be with me tomorrow and will be an easier job the second time around  ;) ...thanks for you help buddy  :thumbup

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 13 July 2020, 01:16:34 pm »
got the O ring on saturday, good service from FOWLERS  :thumbup ...i struggled a bit when i removed the oil/waterpump last time so i had a damn good clear up in the garage, chucked a lot of stuff out and made a bit more room to make the job a little easier...just need the motivation now to get out there and make a start.....lunchtime now though  :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 01:18:12 pm by red98 »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 13 July 2020, 06:34:12 pm »
got the O ring on saturday, good service from FOWLERS  :thumbup ...i struggled a bit when i removed the oil/waterpump last time so i had a damn good clear up in the garage, chucked a lot of stuff out and made a bit more room to make the job a little easier...just need the motivation now to get out there and make a start.....lunchtime now though  :rolleyes
Why have you got a weather balloon in your garage, or is it actually a crashed and recovered UFO  :lol
« Last Edit: 13 July 2020, 06:34:47 pm by fazersharp »
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 13 July 2020, 07:06:42 pm »
Why have you got a weather balloon in your garage, or is it actually a crashed and recovered UFO  :lol

when you have a bike in this country you need to keep an eye on the weather....i dont need to tell you, of all people , about that  :eek .... :lol

could just be a badly fitted car cover   ;)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 14 July 2020, 09:32:08 am »
up early this morning and made a start on the mighty thou, jacked it up and put it on wooden blocks, can and downpipes off followed by sprocket cover,sump and oil strainer...going well...got a bit distracted now though, both my son and i are on furlough so we are taking the mountain bikes to Windsor great park,get a few miles in and some lunch in windsor.....have a nice day foccers  :thumbup
« Last Edit: 15 July 2020, 12:48:54 pm by red98 »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 14 July 2020, 10:02:35 am »
Sounds like you’ve had a very productive morning Mr.Red, and deserve some chillax time. Enjoy lunch, and pedal safe :thumbup

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 15 July 2020, 01:06:56 pm »
cheers ROBBO...a good day yesterday,probs 50 ish miles and a good lunch  :thumbup

had a lay in this morning, not up untill 9am not like me  :rolleyes .............

bit more done this morning,pump is now out, took a short cut this time, managed to get it out without removing the clutch, a HUGE time saver , just enough room in there to slide the water pump end out of the engine casing, easing that end down and looping off the drive chain the other end...
couple of pictures showing the failed O ring oil seal and also the water pipe mounting bolt hole clearly bored all the way through, engine casing is about 10mm thick in that area which i would of thought was deep enough without boring all the way through......

« Last Edit: 15 July 2020, 01:11:57 pm by red98 »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 15 July 2020, 02:12:17 pm »
Excellent progress Mr.Red and very informative pics. :thumbup  Would it be possible to permanently seal the drilled through hole, now that the pump is out?.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 15 July 2020, 02:33:53 pm »
It's highly likely the bolt hole isn't the source of the leak, rather the O ring is ;) 
Later