Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:59 am

Author Topic: What have you done to your FZS600 bike today  (Read 197903 times)

Adam2201

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: What have you done to your FZS600 bike today
« Reply #650 on: 28 July 2017, 10:50:32 am »
Not as exciting as all the shiny new shocks, but I finally sorted out the crappy feel on the rear brake which has been there since I got the bike. It's never been sharp even after a full overhaul and bleed, but noticed a lot of play in the cotter pin on the pedal when I was cleaning/lubing it up the other day: https://gfycat.com/EarnestImaginaryHornedviper

Replaced the cotter and pin with new bits from Fowlers and it's solid as a rock now! 

Has anyone else noticed that the Boxeye no longer appears on Fowlers website when you type in your numberplate (or even if you search manually)?  I had to get the part numbers separately and search for them that way.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: 28 July 2017, 01:15:03 pm »
You can still use the AJ Sutton website for part numbers or descriptions, plus to have look at the not so funny prices.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazer-Tony

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Yamaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: 28 July 2017, 02:43:52 pm »
Taken the nose cone off, because i need to repair it, got a chunk missing on right hand side, so gonna be messing about with some fibre glass mesh, matting and that lovely resin  :D .
Spayed the rear panel red, looks quite good for my first ever attempt, resprayed the tank, all this is for the first time for me, so not going to look professional, and I am a little impatient
you know, all the time I'm repairing I'm not riding  :'( but we have to do what we have to do.....
any tips, tricks or advise welcomed.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
« Reply #653 on: 03 August 2017, 04:22:19 pm »
fitted the sd05f spark plug caps
and checked the pod filters were not fowling the carb inlets - got to hit the dyno when i get the pods i really want

Wharfe

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: 05 September 2017, 07:22:26 pm »
Wrote 'er off. Or at least allowed some other idiot to.. :'(
Riding to work (Halifax) on A629 (new Road) just out of Denholme by the b6141 (long causeway) - for those that might know the area - I'm coming thru' the bend to be met with a largish flatbed truck out of control with its back end rapidly catching up and passing its front end. On my side of the road. It sideswiped me, pushed me down and under the back end and spat me out at the other end. I crawled away to be quickly met by various concerned souls who were a bit shocked to find me pissing myself laughing at my lucky escape (in't Adrenalin brilliaaaant!!!). Turns out there was a big diesel spill up ahead (which he had come through) - I reckon he'd braked as he met the back of the queue going into Denholme, unfortunately for all - mainly me - this was amidst said diesel spill so he lost it big time. Fortunately yrs truly was only doing 20 as I'd just exited some roadworks with no tarmac. Nevertheless very very scary to see a truck spiralling at you!!! :eek
So - long morning spent in A&E getting seen, fortunately no injures beyond extensive bruising and sprained foot. So far anyway. Astonishingly no damage to my kit though the helmet almost certainly took a knock. The bike however is goosed from nose to tail, deffo a write off. (No photos - you'll only get upset.)
Then off home for tea biscuits and a stern lecture from Mrs Wharfe along the lines of "isn't it time you gave up biking for the sake of your family etc etc" Er, no dear,  it's time I bought another low mileage foxeye Fazer to ride to work on  and maintain my sanity with, actually....
Anyway looks like I'll be doing Foc all for a few days (as I can't weight bear) so watch this space!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: 05 September 2017, 08:04:25 pm »
Riding to work (Halifax) on A629 (new Road) just out of Denholme by the b6141 (long causeway) - for those that might know the area - I'm coming thru' the bend to be met with a largish flatbed truck out of control with its back end rapidly catching up and passing its front end. On my side of the road. It sideswiped me, pushed me down and under the back end and spat me out at the other end. I crawled away to be quickly met by various concerned souls who were a bit shocked to find me pissing myself laughing at my lucky escape (in't Adrenalin brilliaaaant!!!). Turns out there was a big diesel spill up ahead (which he had come through) - I reckon he'd braked as he met the back of the queue going into Denholme, unfortunately for all - mainly me - this was amidst said diesel spill so he lost it big time. Fortunately yrs truly was only doing 20 as I'd just exited some roadworks with no tarmac. Nevertheless very very scary to see a truck spiralling at you!!! :eek
So - long morning spent in A&E getting seen, fortunately no injures beyond extensive bruising and sprained foot. So far anyway. Astonishingly no damage to my kit though the helmet almost certainly took a knock. The bike however is goosed from nose to tail, deffo a write off. (No photos - you'll only get upset.)
Then off home for tea biscuits and a stern lecture from Mrs Wharfe along the lines of "isn't it time you gave up biking for the sake of your family etc etc" Er, no dear,  it's time I bought another low mileage foxeye Fazer to ride to work on  and maintain my sanity with, actually....
Anyway looks like I'll be doing Foc all for a few days (as I can't weight bear) so watch this space!
:eek :eek :eek
You know what perhaps if you had given up biking and had been in a car you may of been worse off and not got spat out relativity unharmed

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: 05 September 2017, 08:27:53 pm »
:eek :eek :eek
You know what perhaps if you had given up biking and had been in a car you may of been worse off and not got spat out relativity unharmed

theres your defense to the other half
would have been trapped in a tin coffin if you were in a car

daviee

« Reply #657 on: 06 September 2017, 06:55:11 pm »
fitted hid projectors good improvement and the angel eyes are pretty cool

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: 10 September 2017, 01:38:00 pm »
 Fitted my new engine bars :)

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: 11 September 2017, 10:28:33 am »

VERY smart!  8) I like the "chunkiness" of these. Plus a nice colour match to the Engine/casings behind.
So utilising the 2 bolts on the side of the Frame, plus looks like a clamp (around the frame tube) underneath?

Do you think it gives the bike more "attitude" ? :)

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: 11 September 2017, 10:44:19 am »

I had the same bars fitted to my  :faz and eventhough my bike was written off those engine bars prevented any damage to the engine, well worth the money.
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: 11 September 2017, 03:59:46 pm »
 Thanks for the comments guys, absolutely right about the fitting F4aceless and I think they do look kinda cool. The only problem with fitting was on the left side bottom rail clamp which is only 25mm diameter, the right side is 30mm with a rubber lining which won't fit on the left side due to the closeness of the frame to the sump, because the 25mm clamp doesn't have a rubber lining, it's metal to metal contact on the frame which I wasn't happy with. However, I bought a piece of 1.5mm thick black rubber a couple of years ago to make some fairing washers for my VFR750, so I cut a strip to go inside the clamp but then needed a longer bolt cos I couldn't get the nut on the one they supplied :lol Still all good now, and at £83 well worth the money I reckon. It's good to hear that the engine bars do the job Fazer99 even though your baby was written off :(

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: 11 September 2017, 05:26:25 pm »
fitted renthal 789's
removed reflector and lifted numberplate (cut a wedge out of plate to lift even higher)
new clutch cable
noticed clutch lever pivot was oval so new lever ordered
- 200 miles later suddenly got a blowing exhaust gasket so had to order them now

Fazer99

• Club Racer
  • Private sign do not read
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR800FI
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: 12 September 2017, 08:07:14 am »
Thanks for the comments guys, absolutely right about the fitting F4aceless and I think they do look kinda cool. The only problem with fitting was on the left side bottom rail clamp which is only 25mm diameter, the right side is 30mm with a rubber lining which won't fit on the left side due to the closeness of the frame to the sump, because the 25mm clamp doesn't have a rubber lining, it's metal to metal contact on the frame which I wasn't happy with. However, I bought a piece of 1.5mm thick black rubber a couple of years ago to make some fairing washers for my VFR750, so I cut a strip to go inside the clamp but then needed a longer bolt cos I couldn't get the nut on the one they supplied :lol Still all good now, and at £83 well worth the money I reckon. It's good to hear that the engine bars do the job Fazer99 even though your baby was written off :(

I found the biggest problem fitting them was the lack of length of the bolts for the clamps around the frame but luckly I had some longer bolts to rectify that problem.
RIP my beautiful red beast 1999 to 2017 😭🏍😭

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: 12 September 2017, 09:42:22 am »
fitted renthal 789's
removed reflector and lifted numberplate (cut a wedge out of plate to lift even higher)
new clutch cable
noticed clutch lever pivot was oval so new lever ordered
- 200 miles later suddenly got a blowing exhaust gasket so had to order them now

What's the width of your 789's? Pic of them fitted? :)

One thing putting me off Renthal bars is losing the securing tabs which you must remove or file down, to fit the switch gear to the Renthals.
If you filed it down, what then keeps the switch gear + throttle secure on the bar? Wouldn't want anything on the Bars working loose (while riding at speed).

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: 12 September 2017, 02:21:03 pm »
30 inch on bars 32 at the levers (sounds odd but looks fine)

link to my youtube channel has a video about fitting them and chopping off the lugs
will be posting most of my modifications and build series on there
personally i think they are a bit wide for city riding but they are comfortable once your used to them
(editing a review video that i made after 50 miles - after 200+ miles was completly used to it)
« Last Edit: 12 September 2017, 02:33:16 pm by Disorderlypunk »

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: 12 September 2017, 03:06:33 pm »

I found the biggest problem fitting them was the lack of length of the bolts for the clamps around the frame but luckly I had some longer bolts to rectify that problem.
  I went up from 25 to 30mm bolts on mine. Did you put anything between the left side clamp and the frame tube?
« Last Edit: 12 September 2017, 03:09:46 pm by vinnyb »

F4celess

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: 14 September 2017, 12:21:33 am »
30 inch on bars 32 at the levers (sounds odd but looks fine)

link to my youtube channel has a video about fitting them and chopping off the lugs
will be posting most of my modifications and build series on there
personally i think they are a bit wide for city riding but they are comfortable once your used to them
(editing a review video that i made after 50 miles - after 200+ miles was completly used to it)

I recently measured the standard bars, which are 27.5" from tip to tip (straight across). Thinking about it that includes bar ends/weights. So actually you aren't that much wider.

Would be happy to find Renthals that match the width of the standard bars, as I don't want to reduce the ability to filter in traffic.

Will defo be watching your YouTube vids..  ;)
« Last Edit: 14 September 2017, 12:22:49 am by F4celess »

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: 18 April 2018, 06:47:54 pm »
Took her for MOT (2003 Foxeye) - passed, flying colours, no advisories. going to get across to Wales fir a ride out some twiatoes over the next day or two to take advantage of the nice weather (with Liz on her Fazer 1000)

Triggergee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: 18 April 2018, 08:01:53 pm »
Today I noticed my fork oil seals may be leaking a little bit despite the fact that I only changed them a week ago... ah well hopefully tomorrow I'll be riding home on a new (to me at least) fazer thou so at least I don't have to disassemble the forkson the 600 again just yet.

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: 18 April 2018, 08:30:33 pm »
waited for postman, drank beer, then tried to fit rear wheel bearings only to run out of blowtorch gas so couldn't sweat them all in so started on my brakes to realise there is 18 yrs of crap fouling everything up and forcing one pad into the disc all the time so decided to throw in the towel and drink more beer
(banana bread beer is as weird as it sounds but somewhat nice)
tomorrow it will be calipers in the oven so i can hopefully remove the joining bolts then give them a bloody good clean out and wait for the new piston seals
by mot time that will have the newest back end in the country lol

on a plus side i did get the sprocket carrier bearing in so its at least one step in the right direction

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: 19 April 2018, 11:56:20 am »
i may have gone over the top cleaning this brake caliper
those joining bolts are a bugger to get out and covered in corrosion
split and sand blaster them clean will be painting black i think

« Last Edit: 19 April 2018, 11:57:10 am by Disorderlypunk »

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: 19 April 2018, 12:29:51 pm »
Took her out to Great Bentley bike last night , what a cracking day !

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: 19 April 2018, 08:28:12 pm »
resprayed tank top to cover scratches.... put forks back on bike after cleaning.... put gear selector back and after spray and put new clutch cable on... put resprayed head mount bracket and some few more lol

hopefiendboy

• DAS Born Again
  • Second time Fazer owner- back to the womb
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - none
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: 24 April 2018, 10:32:27 pm »
Fitted my renthal ultralows on. Wow what a difference. Hugger and FZ1 rear shock next...