Date: 24-04-24  Time: 17:49 pm

Author Topic: what would you do?  (Read 11502 times)

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
what would you do?
« Reply #25 on: 18 September 2012, 10:06:26 pm »
I have the Bladerunner with gel insert. 

Not cheap but very well made and for me, worth it. :)

Cheap for you but not for me !

The seat was done by Coventry custom seats (google them) aka Melvyn hunter very well known and a nice fella, i have all my seats done by him and there always top notch.

Dave.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: what would you do?
« Reply #26 on: 19 September 2012, 07:21:03 am »
I did say it wasn't cheap, Dave, knowing what they cost new.  To me, let's say it was 'good value for money'. ;)  :)

Hugely better than the Tony Archer job I had before, too.  Very disappointed I was with that considering his reputation. :(

smegfish1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 September 2012, 07:07:47 pm »
Hi Mike,
I like the look of the bladerunner. Using my base and gel inserts I'm looking at £285, seems rather expensive, is the quality and comfort worth it?
I was looking at tony archer as well, were you not impressed then?

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 September 2012, 07:34:35 pm »
Had my seat refoamed and re covered by Tony Archer, Vastly improved comfort and looks for £60.   No complaints

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 September 2012, 11:00:44 pm »
The price for the Bladerunner is too much, IMHO.  I got mine at a used price from Dave as it was too low for comfort for his longer legs.  I love it for looks and comfort but I'd stop short of strongly recommending it at £285.  I think you can get the same comfort and a smart look for a good deal less.

I had a disappointing experience with Tony Archer but I'm going to put it down to being a one-off.  Loads of members have been very pleased with his service and prices.

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
what would you do?
« Reply #30 on: 19 September 2012, 11:21:02 pm »
I have to agree Coventry custom seats are not cheap I think that is because melvyn does not do all the work, he does the base ie shape/lower and fit the gels but than ships the seat cover work out ! One thing I'll stress he does not use gels it's actually gelastic pad and will never lose it's shape or break up nor does it get hot as gels do, he will show you the pad if you ask, and I'm aware he is the only fella using this material and he is very secret about where it comes from !! I've done 800 mile splash n dash rides seating on many of his seats without any issues, so sometimes it's worth paying a bit more for quality and knowing it will be right.

smegfish1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 September 2012, 06:59:36 pm »
Jeffco, £60 seems very cheap, can you post any pix?

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 September 2012, 09:53:04 am »
I have some pics in MY ALBUM but dont know how to move them here (my avatar pic being one)  and yes £60 was a vgood price.As i said its not gel pads just better quality foam,new cover and piping.  Other options may be better, I dont know not having tried them but I do know it was £60 well spent.

Old un

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 24 September 2012, 09:26:50 am »
I rode Bandits for the last 6 years 600's, 1200 and 1250 - lovely ride loadsa grunt whenever you need it.  Swapped for an '09 Fazer 1000 and don't regret the change - it takes a couple of days for the smile to fade every time I ride out.  The Fazer is superior in every way - if your feel the need to change go for the after '07 Fazer. You won't regret the change.  Its a different class from the rest.
Good luck with it whatever you decide.
Be cool - stay alive..
Oldun

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 September 2012, 09:44:37 am »
Roger Dennis did this for £100 with gel insert

"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

smegfish1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 24 September 2012, 03:07:35 pm »
pp seats just quoted £325 :eek

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 24 September 2012, 08:15:12 pm »
Christ Keith talk about no stone left unturned,you dont do it by halves do you :)

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 September 2012, 10:49:11 pm »
tis my baby and i like to make her feel good  :evil :evil :evil then she good to me   :b :b :b
"Dont confuse my personality with my attitude My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are..."

smegfish1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 25 September 2012, 03:32:51 pm »
keith, do you have contact details for this chap, or website preferably?

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 October 2012, 07:45:27 pm »
ive been lucky enough to road test many, many bikes over a good few years. a year or so ago did a group test on "old" all rounders against a new multistrada. there was a gen 1 fazer included, and i couldnt believe how good it was. hence i have one now. trust me on this mate, there honestly are very, very few bikes to beat it, in real motorcycling terms. the zzr14s a good un though, like the man said. on another test i got to ride an early one from calais to morrocco in 24 hours..that was some adventure, and some bike. fazer still beats it for vfm though, imho :) :)

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 October 2012, 10:38:30 pm »
trust me on this mate, there honestly are very, very few bikes to beat it, in real motorcycling terms. the zzr14s a good un though, like the man said. on another test i got to ride an early one from calais to morrocco in 24 hours..that was some adventure, and some bike. fazer still beats it for vfm though, imho :) :)

Testify!

Having had a summer on the ZZR14, I serviced the Fazer ready for winter and started riding it again last week, and you know what, I still utterly love it. After the ZZR it is comfy, revvy, and just so chuckable with those high and wide bars. It's just great fun, and no wonder I've done 92k on it.

Apart from the all-rounder nature of it,  the two things that stand out for me are that engine and the steel frame. My Fazer talks to me like a 911's steering is supposed to (not that I've ever driven one, but you keep reading about it) and really communicates what's going on. Hurl it into a corner like Spencer on his CB900 superbike, boing around with it chattering away and waggling it's bars and then hit 7000 and watch the world go backwards.

So much for the march of progress eh? If the Gen1 hit the streets in 2001, it must have been in design from 1998 and still nothing's touched it. Brilliant brilliant bike.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 October 2012, 11:53:19 pm »
aint it the truth mate,.at the end of the group test we sat in a cafe talking about the bikes..every single one of us rated the "old" fazer above the others(including the "mcn bike of the year "multistrada). and whilst im just a brickie who gets to ride with them every now and then the other three were "proper"..respectively the road test editor (si hargreaves)  racer and trackday tutor (pete boast) and complete nutter/stunter (kev smith)..all topriders with a wealth of experience. and all of us to a man loved that old fazer..
it reminds me (bizarrely) of my first decent bike back in '78 after passing me test..an rd400. no idea why, apart from they are both blue and both yams. think it must be the fun i had on the stroker, and the fun to be had on the thou, and whilst the fazer is obviously a lot quicker the rd would have felt just as quick to me back then.
its just a great bike innit, and destined to become a future classic.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09 October 2012, 07:33:26 am »
Hey, Ogri ... Mike here.  That was some wet ride you had on the ZZR14 down through France and Spain, eh?  I took the Victory east to Croatia, if you recall, and got soaked on the return trip through Germany. :)

Good to see you're still getting the occasional gig with the Bauer Boys.  Nice to read that you all rate the Gen 1 so highly still. ;)

Cheers!

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 09 October 2012, 02:11:47 pm »
ive been lucky enough to road test many, many bikes over a good few years. a year or so ago did a group test on "old" all rounders against a new multistrada. there was a gen 1 fazer included, and i couldnt believe how good it was. hence i have one now. trust me on this mate, there honestly are very, very few bikes to beat it, in real motorcycling terms. the zzr14s a good un though, like the man said. on another test i got to ride an early one from calais to morrocco in 24 hours..that was some adventure, and some bike. fazer still beats it for vfm though, imho :) :)

Was this printed and can you remember the issue, if it was in "BIKE" ?

smegfish1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09 October 2012, 03:04:12 pm »
It was in Bike edition Jan2012. Very good for the fazer  :lol
Ride also did a good one in Feb 2008 and Jan 2009 that I've kept.

smegfish1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 09 October 2012, 03:08:57 pm »
This one......

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 09 October 2012, 04:47:21 pm »
You can read that edition here
http://issuu.com/tony33/docs/jan12sampler

keithfzs1000

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 09 October 2012, 05:02:17 pm »
roger dennis in hartlepool

07949863488 sorry dont have a website or email but txt him n if he has one he will give you link

JayB

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 09 October 2012, 05:49:07 pm »
This one......
Ah bloody hell! Do you know what, I have got that and it did ring a bell, it made me re-kindle my thoughts of wanting to try a Fazer too, I know what' I'll be reading on the khazi tonight, LOL!

I don't subscribe to Ride but might see if anyone I know has those too.

smegfish1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 09 October 2012, 07:47:21 pm »
roger dennis in hartlepool

07949863488 sorry dont have a website or email but txt him n if he has one he will give you link

Thanks for that!