Date: 19-04-24  Time: 00:40 am

Author Topic: Grinding noise/feeling around 6000rpm  (Read 14830 times)

OutofFaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Was an XT600E
    • View Profile
Re: Grinding noise/feeling around 6000rpm
« Reply #25 on: 08 May 2013, 12:20:34 pm »
Hi guys,

I'll certainly check the air filter element. Had a look in the manual and it looks very easy to check. I will also remove it completely and reassemble the tank and seat, then run it 1km down the road and back to see if the 6K thing changes (it will be different with more flow if my air/acoustic theory has any truth in it)... then i'll put the filter back in before I cane the engine completely. I was thinking of getting a K&N filter for the bike, but does anyone know if that makes it TOO lean then?

Also, like Limax and Razerider said, it could also just be the "rough" zone... and if my carbs are a little out of balance then it could *enhance* the feature :)

Anyway, i'm glad that nothing serious seems to be wrong and at least it prompted me to really go over the bike so i have a good idea of the state of everything now, other than just the shiny and newly polished looks!

**by the way... there is a high possibility that all my worrying is a result of becoming too attached to a newly purchased bike :D I called it "Francesca" FFS because of FZS 600... lame right?!**

James
« Last Edit: 08 May 2013, 12:24:21 pm by OutofFaze »
Smokey this is not 'Nam, this is bowling, there are rules!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 May 2013, 01:15:57 pm »
The Fazer runs rich as stock so the K&N helps balance this out a bit so there is no danger of it running too lean. The majority of us have a K&N air filter and with an market exhaust and/or downpipes and have no issues :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 May 2013, 01:18:07 pm »
Yeah, K&N all the way, not heard one complaint on here, all positive reviews  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 May 2013, 01:20:07 pm »
"....**by the way... there is a high possibility that all my worrying is a result of becoming too attached to a newly purchased bike :D I called it "Francesca" FFS because of FZS 600... lame right?!**...."

Yep  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 May 2013, 01:47:13 pm »
I get the exact same symptoms on my 2000 600.  I'd put it down the the harmonics at that rev range.  Isn't that roughly where the flat spot in power is?

OutofFaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Was an XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 May 2013, 02:01:01 pm »
Yeah I would say so. It doesn't feel like no power, just less. But then the power band kicks in after that too.

At least I learnt something :-)

James

OutofFaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Was an XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 May 2013, 07:40:40 pm »
Hi again guys,

I still have this problem. I thought that it had got better, but it's still there even though some days feel better than others.

One really important observation that I made today is that the grinding feeling stops completely when i pull the clutch in when I am at the "grinding rev range" which is from about 5,500rpm to about 6500rpm occasionally a bit higher, into 7000rpm.

So, this is something that I don't really get... I don't think it is something from the chain now because it's adjusted well, lubed properly and still turns when the clutch is in because the wheel is moving. Could it be out of balance carbs? I thought that would make the tickover lumpy though, but that is smooth. I also don't think it is the air intake either now because it definitely feels mechanical. I spent almost an hour on a ride today observing this.

I'm thinking about taking it back to the Yamaha dealer again and insisting that they take a good look at it (they said that I could if I feel that it gets worse, or doesn't get better), because i'm not happy about it staying like this.

Any more ideas fellow Fazers?

James

Notch000

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 May 2013, 09:09:29 pm »
no grinding noise but mines the same between 5 & 6.5K, have looked it up and it seem like character more than anything else, sometime disappears completly tho, but looks like a knackered engine mount isnt helping

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 May 2013, 12:54:36 am »
If it stops with the clutch then that's the first thing I'd take a look at personally. You can do this without removing the engine oil as well - just put the bike on the SIDE STAND (important otherwise you will lose your oil :P) then remove the clutch cover and undo the 6 screws that hold the clutch springs. You can then inspect the clutch plates to see if they are worn. Should only take 10-20 mins max and it will rule it out if it isn't the case

The gasket should be re-usable but they aren't expensive if you feel like replacing it anyway and do not tighten the spring nuts up overly tight! I accidentally did this and it snapped the housing :( They only need to be done up to 10Nm which is basically hand tight with a spanner

Fraser

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 June 2013, 04:07:01 pm »
Sorry to bump an old thread but did you get any further with your vibration, I recently bought a 98 FZS600 which has exactly the same vibs, comes in at 6k and is gone by 7.7k, regardless of which gear or speed, also notice a def drop in power, it pulls really well upto 6k then goes  flat and streaks away after 7.5k , I am happy to live with it but would be even happier if I could get rid of it, my bike has done 28k miles,
Old enough to know better

OutofFaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Was an XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 June 2013, 04:29:42 pm »
Hi Fraser,

Sorry I didn't update this thread with the outcome.

I took the bike back to the Yamaha Center that sold it to me, and they kept it for a week and lent me an FZ-1N for the duration. So, they took it on 3 test rides, 1 was the owner of the shop, and 2 with the chief mechanic.

They couldn't find anything that they considered to be out of the ordinary with the bike, but they still checked everything that they could do:

- Tightened all the engine mounting bolts
- Checked the brake pads and discs
- Front wheel bearings
- Drivetrain

He told me that every bike has it's own special feeling and sounds, and to just live with it and get used to it. however, when it came back, it did feel a lot less pronounced to me. Perhaps something to do with the engine mounting bolts were a little loose or something. Anyway, it doesn't bother me anymore. I just try to stay on either side of that rev range.

I also read here: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-used/used-review-yamaha-fazer-600/4313-2.html

Page 2 (under engine) says: "One of the few bug-bears is a vibration at anything between 6-8000 revs. They all do that, Sir."

So it seems that this is normal behaviour. The problem I had is that I've only ridden an XT600e which is only single cylinder and feels entirely different. I'd had no experience of a 4 cylinder bike until that point, so i didn't know what to expect. Anyway, i've got used to it now and it feels really sweet otherwise.

James

Fraser

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 June 2013, 04:34:37 pm »
thanks for the quick reply, I've had loads of bikes and they all are slightly different, I was just a bit concerned that there may have been a problem inside my engine waiting to go bang LOL, I'm going to stop worrying about it , Fraser
Old enough to know better

OutofFaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Was an XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 23 June 2013, 04:44:51 pm »
Try checking all your engine bolts... that seems like the most useful thing to me.

With mine, I would estimate that after getting it back from the shop, the vibration has reduced by about 50%+ at the worst times (normally after over an hour of riding). Also, if the chain is too tight, it could make things feel crappy because it loads the front gear with a pulling force against the shaft and of course reduce the chain life drastically.

My theory is that 6-8K revs is just the resonant frequency of the engine, where everything just starts to thrum at it's natural vibrating frequency. It's the same thing as when you sit on an old diesel bus and it wants to shake itself to pieces when it's ticking over at the traffic lights. In that case, the bus engine tick over frequency matches the resonant frequency of the bodywork and frame of the bus... and voila you are suddenly sat inside a threshing machine.

On a side note, I dropped a K&N air filter in mine when I got it back and I can't honestly say if it feels more powerful, but it definitely doesn't feel less powerful and I have a lifetime air filter and got to whack a sticker on the bike and one on my helmet to cover a little bit of damage from when I dropped the helmet from handlebar height to the floor. :) it's good enough for now!

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 23 June 2013, 05:30:37 pm »
I've only skimmed through the thread so it might have been suggested already but the exhaust on my bike resonates at 6000rpm so I'd say yours is probably doing the same

uppo

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 February 2019, 10:12:08 pm »
Hi, guys!

Sorry for bringing up this again- FZS 600 vibration at 5.5-6.5k rpm. Has anyone found a solution to this vibration? It is bothering me a lot.

OutofFaze

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Was an XT600E
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 18 February 2019, 04:27:14 pm »
Hi Uppo,

I had this investigated by the Yamaha dealer that I bought my bike from. They couldn't find anything wrong.

I've learned to live with it and now think that it is caused by a resonance at those revs.

I think the resonance just happens to be at that rev-range.

Think about when an old double-decker bus is shaking itself to pieces when idling at the traffic lights. That's because the engine idling frequency causes resonant vibration in the rest of the bus... when the revs go up it dies down.

I think this is the same for the Fazer.

Nothing bad has happened to my bike as a result of it. I've noticed that using Castrol racing oil and always keeping it at a good level helps so that it's not as easy to feel.

I've been riding mine for 6 years now and it's been solid.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2019, 04:41:22 pm by OutofFaze »