Date: 18-04-24  Time: 06:09 am

Author Topic: INDICATORS FZS600  (Read 5479 times)

D8nny7

• Weekend Warrior
  • Never be ashamed to unlearn an old habit
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Fazer all the way
    • View Profile
INDICATORS FZS600
« on: 20 May 2014, 08:50:20 pm »
Hi all I'm looking for some help I recently changed the big Star Wars bulky indicators on my FZS600 2000yr
And I've noticed they seem to blink allot quicker than the standard ones, is there a quick fix for this issue?? Any help would be much appreciated, ohh and there not the led upgrade there standard bulbs I've included a picture of them below  :'(
One Life Live it Bitches!!

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: INDICATORS FZS600
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2014, 08:55:42 pm »
The original ones had 21W bulbs in them, the new ones aren't big enough for 21W bulbs so probably have 5W, or at best, 10W bulbs.  Two 10W bulbs will make the flasher unit think you've only got one working so will flash quicker to tell you.

D8nny7

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Fazer all the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2014, 09:16:02 pm »
Is there a quick fix as the get them to flash normal again mate?

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2014, 10:58:16 pm »
You've got 3 options.  You could change the flasher unit for an electronic one that will flash at the correct rate no matter how much current is being drawn although I have no idea what sort of flasher unit is fitted and without going outside and taking my bike to bits, don't even know where it lives (under the tank or next to the battery I would suspect but I've never had cause to look for it) so can't tell you what sort you need.  You could put resistors in parallel with the lights so each one draws more current to fool the flasher into thinking it is driving a pair of 21W bulbs but you'd need 8 or 10 Ohm resistors capable of handling 10W minimum so they would need to be big ceramic things and not cheap.  Or, if you want to go for the cheap n dirty approach, just put a 12V 10W car sidelight bulb in parallel with each indicator.  You could wrap them up and hide them inside the fairing on the front and in where your toolkit lives at the back.

D8nny7

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Fazer all the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2014, 11:40:20 pm »
Ok cheers for the info I've just ordered a flasher relay that should solve the issue hopefully

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2014, 08:17:13 am »
You've got 3 options.  You could change the flasher unit for an electronic one that will flash at the correct rate no matter how much current is being drawn although I have no idea what sort of flasher unit is fitted and without going outside and taking my bike to bits, don't even know where it lives (under the tank or next to the battery I would suspect but I've never had cause to look for it) so can't tell you what sort you need.  You could put resistors in parallel with the lights so each one draws more current to fool the flasher into thinking it is driving a pair of 21W bulbs but you'd need 8 or 10 Ohm resistors capable of handling 10W minimum so they would need to be big ceramic things and not cheap.  Or, if you want to go for the cheap n dirty approach, just put a 12V 10W car sidelight bulb in parallel with each indicator.  You could wrap them up and hide them inside the fairing on the front and in where your toolkit lives at the back.

You'd need those resistors in series fella. You'd need the additional bulbs in series also. Sorry if it's sucking eggs time but in series means inline NOT across.

If you put 2x10w resistance (bulbs or resistors) in parallel you will have 5w of load making them flash even faster.

The big ceramic ones are not required - just the usual Maplin jobs at  about £3 per 100.

Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2014, 09:20:05 am »
you can get smaller 21W bulbs. much easier than feccing about with resistors etc.

http://www.mcsonline.com.au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=167&Itemid=126
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

D8nny7

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Fazer all the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2014, 03:41:50 pm »
ok cheers for the help guys much appriciated  :D

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2014, 05:23:12 pm »
You'd need those resistors in series fella. You'd need the additional bulbs in series also. Sorry if it's sucking eggs time but in series means inline NOT across
Bugger, you are absolutely correct of course.  Brain wasn't working right.......

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2014, 07:53:31 pm »

You'd need those resistors in series fella. You'd need the additional bulbs in series also. Sorry if it's sucking eggs time but in series means inline NOT across.

If you put 2x10w resistance (bulbs or resistors) in parallel you will have 5w of load making them flash even faster.

The big ceramic ones are not required - just the usual Maplin jobs at  about £3 per 100.

Rustyrider was correct.

To increase the load the flasher sees you need to put the resistors in parallel. Put them (or extra bulbs) in series and you reduce the load, making the problem worse (and the bulbs even dimmer to boot).

The flasher unit expects a 42W load, if the mini indicator bulbs are 5W apiece that means you need to  give it an extra 32W worth of load. A resistor of 4.7Ω (one per side) is the nearest preferred value to give that load, the duty cycle is roughly 50% so they would need to be capable of dissipating 15W… a 1/4W job from Maplin will be in flames before you've started turning.

Not that it matters in this case since the OP has opted for a flasher that doesn't care about the load (though, if 21W bulbs are available to suit those indicators, that would have been a better choice).

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2014, 09:30:35 am »
You've got 3 options............ 

To increase the load the flasher sees you need to put the resistors in parallel.

Rustyrider,  Fazerider  -  Spot on   :D
And there with good component values

though, if 21W bulbs are available to suit those indicators, that would have been a better choice.

Brighter, more visable, hence safer  :D

redthunder

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2014, 11:43:45 am »
I might jump on board and ask a question in here if you don't mind?

I'm thinking of replacing the standard indicator's also - any recommendations? I'd like something smaller that look better and possibly have a good quality LED light source. Ebay can be hit and miss so looking for someone who has gone before me  :lol

D8nny7

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Fazer all the way
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2014, 12:44:57 pm »
Afternoon fellas sorted the problem by replacing the bulbs to 12v 21w i know have normal flashing indicators  :rollin :lol

Bizbauer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2014, 09:07:50 pm »
RedThunder, I've fitted the official aftermarket Yamaha LED's to my foxeye; they're brighter and smaller than the originals, they come with resistors (although I fitted a relay instead) and you'll need some indy spacers to get them to fit the huge hole in the fairing!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GENUINE-YAMAHA-CARBON-LOOK-LED-INDICATORS-FLASHERS-R1-R6-FZ1-YME-W0789-20-00-/291137302255?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item43c922aeef

Will add a photo in a couple of days if you want to see what they look like...
'02 Foxeye, Blue
'05 WR250F
'06 Disco 3 S