Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:14 pm

Author Topic: Fork Service  (Read 3125 times)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
Fork Service
« on: 07 March 2017, 10:18:47 pm »
My dust seals have become pretty corroded and split on the forks so i am looking to do a fork service, I want to be sure to get all the parts to do a complete service. As the bike is fairly new to me and i cannot tell when fork oil and seals were changed i am going to do them for peace of mind. Do i need every thing in green in the picture?

I am also going to look at Hyperpro springs. I have seen the threads saying progressive is better all round and then others saying linear is better as its suited to weight but i think the Hyperpro kit will be best for me as i am not exactly Valentino Rossi. I will also have luggage and pillion an times so feel progressive will be best.

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
Re: Fork Service
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2017, 12:00:12 am »
Aye, that should do it Tefer. To make a job of it, get the Yamaha OE parts. Pattern fork seals are not great in my experience.

It's not a difficult job bar getting the big allen bolt out of the bottom of the fork leg, which can be a pain. After the first 3 rebuilds, I nearly rounded the bolt out, so I bought one of these. Makes the job much simpler if you've access to one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-CEW1000-Electric-Impact-Wrench/dp/B0039BQRUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488930817&sr=8-2&keywords=electric+impact+wrench

Other than that, go slowly, keep everything as clean as you can and enjoy the rebuild. As for the springs, I popped some Ohlins progressives in years ago and you can barely tell the difference between them and the standard springs. Maybe I should have gone for higher rate, but it's not the massive day and night difference you get when changing the rear shock for a better one. Honestly, I'd not bother ...

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2017, 08:04:20 am »
My dust seals have become pretty corroded and split on the forks so i am looking to do a fork service, I want to be sure to get all the parts to do a complete service. As the bike is fairly new to me and i cannot tell when fork oil and seals were changed i am going to do them for peace of mind. Do i need every thing in green in the picture?

I am also going to look at Hyperpro springs. I have seen the threads saying progressive is better all round and then others saying linear is better as its suited to weight but i think the Hyperpro kit will be best for me as i am not exactly Valentino Rossi. I will also have luggage and pillion an times so feel progressive will be best.

Hi Tefer,
you have not said what bike it is that needs the forks upgrading,I note that you have a Thousand and a 600 which bike are you doing?
The exploded view of the forks that you show are certainly not the FZS 600 forks, so I guess the assumption is they are the Thousand forks.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2017, 08:06:07 am by tommyardin »

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2017, 01:57:34 pm »

Hi Tefer,
you have not said what bike it is that needs the forks upgrading,I note that you have a Thousand and a 600 which bike are you doing?
The exploded view of the forks that you show are certainly not the FZS 600 forks, so I guess the assumption is they are the Thousand forks.

And it is posted in the Fazer1000/FZ1 section.  ;)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2017, 02:54:37 pm »
Aye, that should do it Tefer. To make a job of it, get the Yamaha OE parts. Pattern fork seals are not great in my experience.

It's not a difficult job bar getting the big allen bolt out of the bottom of the fork leg, which can be a pain. After the first 3 rebuilds, I nearly rounded the bolt out, so I bought one of these. Makes the job much simpler if you've access to one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-CEW1000-Electric-Impact-Wrench/dp/B0039BQRUO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488930817&sr=8-2&keywords=electric+impact+wrench

Other than that, go slowly, keep everything as clean as you can and enjoy the rebuild. As for the springs, I popped some Ohlins progressives in years ago and you can barely tell the difference between them and the standard springs. Maybe I should have gone for higher rate, but it's not the massive day and night difference you get when changing the rear shock for a better one. Honestly, I'd not bother ...

Thanks for that AyJay, I will be enlisting the help of a friend who is a mechanic (car) this will allow me access to better knowledge and also good tools. Just wanted to be sure I replaced all the parts that matter as want it done right. That is the Yamaha Parts picker so wanted to get all the numbers and then go to my local dealer to get the Genuine Parts, i will get that done tomorrow.  :)

I have seen numerous posts regarding the front suspension and most agree that the Hyperpro kit is better than standard but maybe not as good as linear setup. I am willing to give it a try. The bike has already benefited from a Devilsym R6 shock so hoping to get the front a bit better setup, new oil and that could be all it needs but will give Hyperpro a shot. Thanks for the input though.

Hi Tefer,

Hi tommyyardin, posted in the Fazer1000/FZ1 section so that should give a good indication ;)  but thanks for replying and clarifying.

And it is posted in the Fazer1000/FZ1 section.

I had to double check i had posted it in the right place once it was said.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2017, 09:57:06 pm »

Hi Tefer,

And it is posted in the Fazer1000/FZ1 section.  ;)

You only knew that because you are in control of all your faculties, and I am an old demented twat.  :rolleyes :eek

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2017, 10:00:58 pm »
It seems that no matter what bike you ride, if you do a rear end upgrade by fitting a better more controllable shocker, it just seems to highlight poor forks all the more. :D

Andy W

• Weekend Warrior
  • www.thesundogs.uk Rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • The Sundogs - rockin' rollin' rhythm & roots!
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2017, 10:35:39 pm »
I like my Hyperpro progressives with my upgraded rear shock,  I'm no Barry Sheene but I see noticeable improvement in handling.
I think that if you use your for bike for all-round use, progressives are the way to go.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2017, 10:14:00 am »
I like my Hyperpro progressives with my upgraded rear shock,  I'm no Barry Sheene but I see noticeable improvement in handling.
I think that if you use your for bike for all-round use, progressives are the way to go.

Thank you for the input, that's the conclusion i came to in reading loads of all the old posts.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2017, 10:16:36 am »
See the seized compression adjuster threads, does this just mean the screw at the bottom of forks will not turn any clicks?

I am sure mine move as i changed the forks after installing the Devilsym R6 shock. But if thats what the problem for that is i'll need to recheck to be sure as might have that to contend with will doing the forks.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2017, 06:50:39 pm »
Hey guys,

Ordered the parts today £91.66 [size=78%] :eek [/size], sure it will make the bike feel a lot better though.

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 July 2017, 10:17:49 am »
I've just done my seals and oil as its a new bike to me and I wanted fresh oil for some trackdays. 
Bottom bolt out was a pain, I had to jam a thin piece of wood against the cartridge to stop it turning.
Seals weren't leaking but the circlips were corroded bad and the dust seals were going - one of them had been cut in half to fit on and fool an MOT tester I think.
Left the bushes alone, cleaned out all the crap with paraffin and brake cleaner, I popped over my local bike shop for new seals - not the cheap shite that was in there - decent ones with double springs.  Picked up a piece of mini drainpipe from Wickes to use as a driver which worked on on the oil seal but I had to use a bigger diameter pipe on the dust seal.

Put it all back together and realised I havent set the reboud adjuster right, I think you have to turn it fully then scre the assembly to the top of the cartridge and seat it then nip up the bottom locknut.  So I'm having them out again this morning to do that.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2017, 10:45:56 am »
Hi I have Luke's  R6 shock and progressive Hyperpro springs all set with Luke's settings, but having a few problems (see my other posts) just wandering what settings you have on the front and the back?

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2017, 05:00:09 pm »
Hi I have Luke's  R6 shock and progressive Hyperpro springs all set with Luke's settings, but having a few problems (see my other posts) just wandering what settings you have on the front and the back?

Hi, Ive just redone my forks with Silcolene 10w oil as the 5w was too light, bike was pattering everywhere on a steady throttle. Now it's much better. I tried more and less of everything but in the end put it back to standard front. 2 rings showing preload, 7 clicks out rebound, 6 clicks out compression. On the back I have had a little fiddle but not far off what Luke set it to.

Just been out again. Hmmm, at steady legal speeds it's like the bike is gently bobbing up n down as if it's not damped at all. But pressing on its OK and on the brakes. I guess it's the shitty springs in there. I've backed off the compression to 9 out and rebound five out.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2017, 08:38:37 pm by Mustang »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2017, 06:47:49 pm »
See the seized compression adjuster threads, does this just mean the screw at the bottom of forks will not turn any clicks?

They both moved OK when we played with the settings at Joe's, mate. :)

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2017, 07:41:48 pm »

They both moved OK when we played with the settings at Joe's, mate. :)

Yeah that was a March thread, Mine are ok for now. :)