Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:53 pm

Author Topic: winter maintence ,what you got planned ?  (Read 13416 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
winter maintence ,what you got planned ?
« on: 03 December 2019, 07:00:59 am »
one for all you fair weather riders , for me, long summer days are for riding but to get the most out of our fazers they need to be looked after , so whilst iam out riding iam making a list of improvements and jobs that need doing when the cold ,wet weather comes.......thing is though,i never get the jobs done, far too cold in the garage this time of year  :o .....

thats got to change this year as i have a problem thats put me off the road so if i want to enjoy long days in the saddle next spring / summer i got to get out there are get things sorted now....

thought i would start this thread as a bit of kick up the backside for me and also maybe to help others who are doing the same....

so............what you got planned this winter ?

One, is never going to be enough.....

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: winter maintence ,what you got planned ?
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2019, 08:16:47 am »
iam lucky to have both the 6 and thou fazers ,the 6 ive had for many,many years and is very well looked after ,the thou was bought to ride and thats excatly what ive been doing for the last 5 years or so....back in october i was planning to go to the classic bike show in stafford a 260 mile round trip for me so i took the thou for comfort but with only 5 miles done i pulled up at a junction only to be surrounded by a plume of steam ,coolant was leaking onto the exhaust  :'( ..let the old girl cool down and take a slow ride home , got the 6 out and had a good day at the show.....

last weekend i dug the thou out and had a look .looks like the leak was coming from the expansion tank area and dripping down onto the exhaust,hence the steam ,difficult to see exactly so i thought the rear suspension could do with a clean and re-grease so i stripped the back end out along with the rear mudguard which gave me good access to the tank ,still cant see where the leak is so i decide to take the exhaust off to have a better look,exhaust studs dont look good so plenty of plusgas over a number of days and i manage to get 6 of the nuts off,i broke the other 2 studs  :'( ...exhaust bracket thats welded to the collector box is also broken ,come adrift at the weld so theres another job and remember ive still not found the leak  :rolleyes

i ground down the 2 broken studs and drilled out with 3mm drill ,they both broke easy but are a little harder to drill out, thats as far as ive got

going to see if i can find some reverse drills to get the rest of the studs out if not i can see this ending up needing a couple of helicoils......

plenty to keep me busy this winter but it will be worth it when iam back on the road in the spring  :thumbup

will post some piccies later when ive worked out how the new wifi works....ie.....get my son to sort it when he gets in   :lol [size=78%] [/size]

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2019, 12:00:10 pm »
My Triumph gets pressed in to service during the winter, in an attempt to save the Fazer for "best", so the latter is having some tlc lavished on it. Have just done the valve clearances and am waiting for the cam cover and generator cover to come back from the powder coaters. In the meantime the exup will get an overhaul. Then when it's back together and running, I'll strip the wheels and get them powder coated as well. Then I'll have to have a save up to get new tyres on my hopefully minty wheels. The only other job will be to replace my usb socket which let me down on my last trip, and maybe fit heated grips which would be handy for future alpine adventures.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: winter maintenance ,what you got planned ?
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2019, 12:42:08 pm »

Good luck with the exhaust studs. I currently have the same problem with my 600.
Aside from an MOT my Fazer has been nowhere this year.
The plan was to swap the engine as the gearbox is knackered (and the motor has 120k on it, so not worth repairing), but I’ve not found the time and enthusiasm to make much progress.
The “new” engine had a couple of snapped exhaust studs, I drilled and retapped, though might go up to 8mm as I’m not really happy with the job I did.
Also discovered the frame needs some welding which I’ll have to get someone else to do as my skills are not up to the task.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2019, 01:19:11 pm »
iam lucky to have both the 6 and thou fazers ,the 6 ive had for many,many years and is very well looked after ,the thou was bought to ride and thats excatly what ive been doing for the last 5 years or so....back in october i was planning to go to the classic bike show in stafford a 260 mile round trip for me so i took the thou for comfort but with only 5 miles done i pulled up at a junction only to be surrounded by a plume of steam ,coolant was leaking onto the exhaust  :'( ..let the old girl cool down and take a slow ride home , got the 6 out and had a good day at the show.....
last weekend i dug the thou out and had a look .looks like the leak was coming from the expansion tank area and dripping down onto the exhaust,hence the steam ,difficult to see exactly so i thought the rear suspension could do with a clean and re-grease so i stripped the back end out along with the rear mudguard which gave me good access to the tank ,still cant see where the leak is so i decide to take the exhaust off to have a better look,exhaust studs dont look good so plenty of plusgas over a number of days and i manage to get 6 of the nuts off,i broke the other 2 studs  :'( ...exhaust bracket thats welded to the collector box is also broken ,come adrift at the weld so theres another job and remember ive still not found the leak  :rolleyes
i ground down the 2 broken studs and drilled out with 3mm drill ,they both broke easy but are a little harder to drill out, thats as far as ive got
going to see if i can find some reverse drills to get the rest of the studs out if not i can see this ending up needing a couple of helicoils......
plenty to keep me busy this winter but it will be worth it when iam back on the road in the spring  :thumbup
will post some piccies later when ive worked out how the new wifi works....ie.....get my son to sort it when he gets in   :lol
VNA, that sounds like a leak from the water pump mechanical seal. Since it is inside the engine there is an internal pipe from the water pump housing which directs the coolant out through a hole in the sump directly on to the Exhaust.
Oil pump and water pump are on the same shaft driven by a chain.

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 December 2019, 01:44:49 pm »
I normally  reagrease  suspension , and clean brake pistons , but only done a thousand miles this year so will change oil and filter. Got to sort a electrical problem out, it has a drain somewhere  it will go from fully charged to flat in two days if I don't use it , it charges up fine when running battery is new , so should keep me busy over winter, my son has a derbi cross city 125 now so I'll be servicing that at some point,  it's his only form of transport for work and colledge so probably on a weekend feel sorry for the bike as it's has a hard life being ridden within a inch of its life 😨
« Last Edit: 03 December 2019, 01:47:51 pm by tex »
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2019, 02:52:10 pm »
Half a centre stand to strip and repaint (again) :o
The other side is permanently kept fresh by constant Scottoiler spray  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2019, 06:12:00 pm »
will post some piccies later when ive worked out how the new wifi works....ie.....get my son to sort it when he gets in   :lol
VNA, that sounds like a leak from the water pump mechanical seal. Since it is inside the engine there is an internal pipe from the water pump housing which directs the coolant out through a hole in the sump directly on to the Exhaust.
Oil pump and water pump are on the same shaft driven by a chain.

VNA....yes,thinking the same,i`ll get the exhausts sorted and start the old girl up without downpipes so i get a clear view....what is going to hold me up is the decorating of the spare bedroom ,got an army coming for christmas and nowhere to put them.....thanks for you info UNFAZED....calling me VNA was a bit harsh........ :lol

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2019, 06:19:48 pm »
My deepest unfazed apologies,  :o it was a terrible thing to do.
I will write 100 times
Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call
Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call
Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call
Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call
Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call Red98 VNA Do not call
 :woot

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2019, 07:32:18 pm »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

wonder if VNA has any winter maintence plans ?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2019, 07:50:25 pm »
:o it was a terrible thing to do.

A man could be called worse.

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2019, 07:54:04 pm »
I'm Spartacus, no I'm Spartacus  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 December 2019, 08:28:15 pm »
looking a bit sorry for itself.......as it is now.i will be dropping the forks and front wheel to make it easier to bore and tap the exhaust studs..
« Last Edit: 03 December 2019, 08:29:40 pm by red98 »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2019, 11:37:45 pm »
Looks like that Abba Sky Lift would have come in very handy Mr.Red. :D

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 December 2019, 06:49:46 am »
yes, indeed mr R.....still looking but i think i`ll go for one of the bench type lifts ,come the spring when all the work is done i might have a go at making one myself......its not fun crawling about on a cold garage floor at my age , a big risk of not being able to get back up again  :o :o

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04 December 2019, 09:16:04 am »
Totally agree with all points. My Machine Mart table has certainly paid back the initial outlay in spades. They do come up for sale now and then on another forum I'm on, I could keep you posted on any if that's any help. It's having access to a van or trailer to get it home is the main problem.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2019, 12:17:35 pm »
Got mine on one of the Machine Mart ‘VAT free’ offers. Great piece of kit and had plenty of use in the approx 7 years I’ve had it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2019, 02:16:10 pm »
+1 for the VAT free offer :thumbup

Stormbringer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Main bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2019, 02:39:55 pm »
I've already done most of the winter maintenance .
Still to do ,[size=78%]new chain(DID x ring)  and sprokets .[/size]
New front tyre .(Michelin Road 5)
New brake pads .
Fit Data tool gear indicatior .
Thats it for now .
Over Land and Sea

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2019, 03:16:34 pm »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2019, 03:24:07 pm »

wonder if VNA has any winter maintence plans ?
Hmmm, that’s a thought.  New bike is on my mind – umm as usual. 

But I don’t plan to get rid of the thou.  It could do with a little attention though.

But then looking at those photos red98 I’m also feart I’ll just start breaking things.
That is one thing I regret not doing years ago – popping the downpipes off.  They could do with coming off now just for a good clean and check behind em, but then I’ll just end up wi sheared studs.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2019, 04:12:48 pm »
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 December 2019, 04:37:52 pm »
   is that an ABBA stand?
Nope.  It's an ABBA Skylift.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 December 2019, 06:40:11 pm »
your just bl**dy teasing me now ...... :'( .....super clean fazer,abba skylift and what looks like a very nice garage...........think of me over the next few weeks grovelling about on a cold garage floor   :\ :\ :\

anyway , pat bought me a parcel today....8 stainless exhaust studs and 8 stainless domed nuts....its the little things in life that make me happy  ;)     :lol

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 December 2019, 06:48:12 pm »

your just bl**dy teasing me now ...... :'( .....super clean fazer,abba skylift and what looks like a very nice garage...........think of me over the next few weeks grovelling about on a cold garage floor   :\ :\

I think the camera flatters both the bike and my garage.  The garage is a good size and was built along with the house round about 1932.  It’s cold and damp in there, though dry if you know what I mean.

The Skylight so far has just been used for routine maintenance.  It’s great to be able to service brakes and stuff without having to get down on yer knees. 

Hope you get those studs sorted red98.