Date: 19-04-24  Time: 13:57 pm

Author Topic: Carb problems or is it something more?? Fazer 600  (Read 7377 times)

Disorderlypunk

• WSB Pack Hound
  • riding till i die (or breakdown)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fazer stolen - gsx1100 rebuild
    • View Profile
    • disorderly punks motovlog
Re: Carb problems or is it something more?? Fazer 600
« Reply #25 on: 27 January 2020, 06:30:48 pm »
i proper balancing is always worth the money - especially after a rebuild - mine were out by a mile once i finally got the carbtune a few years ago
a bench balance can be close but a proper job is always a benefit

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 January 2020, 08:07:19 am »
i proper balancing is always worth the money - especially after a rebuild - mine were out by a mile once i finally got the carbtune a few years ago
a bench balance can be close but a proper job is always a benefit

I would hazard a guess that a lot of people don't even know what a carb balance is.
When i first used my CarbTune kit not only did it make a big difference in general running, but it was kind of satisfying the fact i'd done it myself.
Maybe it could be improved even more if done by a shop, but as long as i made sure all other related components were in good shape before giving it a go, like plugs, filters, TPS, etc, then i was more than happy with the results.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dman2019

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 May 2020, 08:36:33 am »
Thanks all for your advice, had 3 test rides now and it all seems to be back to normal.
I readjusted the pilots back to factory settings and retuned the carbs and it seems fine.
I tested the electrics and changed the ht caps, leads and regulators, when i put a multi meter over them there seemed to have different reading, thought its better safer than sorry

singhangad

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 June 2020, 11:57:41 am »
Sorry to hijack the thread

I have the exact same issue on my bike with 150 000 miles on it. My question is what are you doing about it? Are you still just riding it or have you taken the head off to change the piston rings? I am thinking if its worth the effort or shall I just use it for as long as it goes.

I have a bike with low compression from worn rings/cylinders. The symptoms it's showing are it's hard to start when cold, it's down on power and top speed and it has a lot of blow-by into the crankcase. It's hard to start when cold however if you put a little oil in the cylinders it start instantly because the oil is sealing the cylinders and bringing the compression up. After it starts it runs well, it has no hesitation or spluttering anywhere. I think in your case it seems more likely that you had a spark issue after cleaning the engine, then later down the road you had a carb issue and you did some carb work and either it didn't fix the problem or it made the problem worse.

Just so we're all clear what exactly are your current symptoms?

Trebor69

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - GasGas TXT300
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 August 2020, 04:39:28 pm »
You never mentioned the TPS at all in all of that (Throttle Position Sensor).
A bad TPS can cause difficulty starting, poor/rough running at low speeds and generally makes the bike feel like shit.

Located on the right side of the carbs, with the covered wire that plugs into it. It should be checked before and after a carb balance.

The TPS outer case unplugs, it's a bit fiddly, i normally gently use a flat key to unhook it.
With key in ignition switch it on (don't start engine).
Unplug the TPS
The rev counter needle should go to 3000rpm.
Then plug it back in and the needle, if positioned correctly, should land on the 5000rpm mark.
If it goes to 0rpm or 10,000rpm it needs adjusting back to 5000rpm.
If it goes back to 3000rpm it's totally knackered.
To adjust it, the 2 screws need slackening with a security torx allen key, then rotate the TPS unit until it lands on the 5000rpm spot.

Be aware, these units can slowly break down rather than just stop working so can misbehave for a while until you realize it needs replacing.

There are more detailed explanations on here so have a good look about as i'm about to head off to work now.

Note: DO NOT BUY A USED ONE if it is faulty. You have been warned!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS-600-FAZER-1998-2003-THROTTLE-POSITION-SENSOR-TPS-NEW-MIKUNI-PART/174012130639?epid=17017134017&hash=item2883ee654f:g:jBcAAOSwRytb6JaY

Thanks for this, mine was reading 10000........may be able to smooth out the idle now  :)