Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:09 pm

Author Topic: Chaaaaiiiiin  (Read 1511 times)

MFD

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Chaaaaiiiiin
« on: 26 July 2018, 08:54:29 pm »
Just did a (too) quick adjustment of my chain, took it out for a test run around the block and when I got back it was hot to touch (goes tight-slack-tight-slack as the wheel turns) :eek

Its too unevenly worn to get in spec through its full rotation, so I'm looking at ordering a DID 530VX chain, but DID don't make split links for them. Last time I tried fitting a rivet link (on a DID 520 or 525VX), the head of the rivet failed and sheared sideways before mushrooming out to the expected diameter, I'm not sure if it was bad luck and I got a faulty link, the budget chain riveter I was using, or somehow my technique. Luckily a local shop had a split link for it.

Has anyone else had a chain rivet fail using one of the budget tools? I don't really want to spend £100+ on a professional riveting tool, but if thats what it takes...

Alternatively I could relive my 125 days and get a plain chain without any kind of seals...

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Chaaaaiiiiin
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2018, 10:26:12 pm »

I’ve used a cheap riveting tool many times with no problem so it sounds like you had a duff link.
I haven’t used the tool lately though. Since fitting a chain oiler, I get such a huge mileage from the chain (40k+) that by the time it needs replacement the rear suspension needs servicing too. So the last couple of times I’ve bought an endless chain.

MFD

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2018, 11:10:34 pm »
Just dug the tool out and this is the kind I used. Its rather comical to watch some of the tools spinning around off-center as you wind the bolt in.

Having spent the past couple of hours looking at chain riveters, the KM500 tool (and some of its knockoffs) seem to come highly recommended, and I like the look of how they work. I've read in several places that the VX chains require use of the super duper newer KM500R tool, which has a (somehow) slightly different pin, I'm not sure how much to trust that though.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2018, 08:35:07 am »
One option would be to buy both a split link and a soft link. Fit the split link, ride down to a friendly bike shop and get them to fit the soft link with a proper Whale rivetter.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

daviee

« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2018, 08:25:29 pm »
never use a split link on anything over a 250 its not worth it

Hugh Mungus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2018, 08:32:59 pm »
I have always said that too Daviee but I was told a few years ago that was ill informed as split links are a lot better nowadays. I still don't use them because I'm a Luddite.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 July 2018, 08:47:57 pm »
I'm a cheapskate I split my original chain with one similar to this-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Bicycle-ATV-Heavy-Chain-Breaker-Splitter-Cutter-Repair-Tool-428-520/132497014442?epid=1983434897&hash=item1ed96ffeaa:g:~woAAOSweUNbFnQT

and I put the soft link in with a very small ball bearing and a G clamp. I think you've just been unlucky with the link.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2018, 08:51:48 pm »
I'm only talking about a slow five mile ride down to the shops. If the op will get the use out of it, then get what the pro's use, a Whale rivetter. It'll last a lifetime.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2018, 10:35:40 pm »
What is the chain of choice. Is it DID x ring?
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2018, 09:35:09 pm »
What is the chain of choice. Is it DID x ring?

Yep
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.