Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > FZS600 Fazer

Steering head bearings

(1/2) > >>

Steve3351:
Hi Foccers. My steering head bearings are pretty worn..was thinking of replacing them, (presumably the original ball bearing type) with a new set of roller bearings.
How difficult is this, without special tools...? I'm especially thinking of getting the lower bearing race correctly seated in the frame..? :eek Have seen a few instructional vids and this seems to be the hard bit. :) :D :rolleyes :lol

and while I'm at it, my forks are horribly rusty just below the fairing...cosmetic really but how difficult is it to replace the inner part of the fork...and wot bits should be replaced when one is doing it..?

UPDATE... :eek  Jaysus!..was just checking the price of new forks..WAAAY too much. Wot about getting forks rechromed, is that an option...?

darrsi:
From memory it wasn't exactly a pleasant job, and will depend on your level of mechanical skills. I think the hardest part was getting the old lower bearings off, they were a bit stubborn to say the least.

unfazed:
These guys in Yorkshire  https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/  are very good, bought fork legs from them and price was reasonable £120 a leg. They also do rechroming both legs for around £160.
As for the steering head bearing get the taper ones from Marksman Bearings, Getting the lower race out and in straight is usually the most difficult part of the job.

Steve3351:
Thank u guys
I think I can handle changing the steering head bearings.. can u use the steering stem and yokes, with the old bearing still on, as a puller to get the new lower race into position..?
as for the forks, I think I'll just leave them...at wot point do you stop spending money on an old bike and just trade it in..??!!

His Dudeness:
I did my steering bearings and it made a huge difference to how the bike felt when cornering, well worth replacing it if it's worn. Getting the lower race out was the difficult bit because it has a very thin area to hit against so you have to have the right tool to get a good contact on it. I tried loads of different things with no success, in the end what worked was a long, thin chisel with a bend in it. The chisel was ruined but it did the job. If you've got the right tool you can get the race out in seconds. If you've not got the right tool you'll be trying to get it out for hours :lol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version