Date: 23-04-24  Time: 15:10 pm

Author Topic: Nikko G Pack / Timing Retard Eliminator  (Read 1241 times)

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Nikko G Pack / Timing Retard Eliminator
« on: 29 January 2020, 08:24:15 am »
Has anyone on here fitted a Nikko G Pack / Timing Retard Eliminator to their FZS600?
[size=78%]I had a TRE fitted to a gsxr600 and it really worked.[/size]

Would like to known if anyone has tried this mod, they are available but quite a lot of cash for what is essentially a resistor in a box with some plugs on it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Nikko G Pack / Timing Retard Eliminator
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2020, 10:46:57 am »
If it was worth doing, which i would guess it is not, then it would have at least been discussed on here for starters, and secondly at least a few people would have done it before.
Seems like a totally unnecessary add on to me.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2020, 12:57:19 pm »
As far as I know there isn't one commercially available and they aren't required, Yamaha don't limit torque in the first 1-4 gears to my knowledge on a Fazer and on their other bikes this is controlled by engine mapping.  Mostly to get through emission/noise regulations.

Suzuki, Kawa used to to this a lot with their GSX-R and ZX ranges and went for cheap, limiter.  All that's required is a simple resistor (of the correct rating) in line from gear position sensor, these cost pennies, companies market these plug and play units for £20 plus and all they're is a resistor.  It fools the bikes ignition module into thinking it's in 4th so provides full ignition and or fuel map, early injected bikes Hayabusa for example (I had one) would run rich in the low gears.     

Later bikes are controlled via more advanced ECU but they too can be fooled with the right know how.           
Later

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2020, 06:56:36 pm »
@ darrsi , it was just to see if anyone had done it to their 600 really and was it worth it... they do work, maybe not a lot of fazer owners know of this or care to know about it... i would give it a try but not for €179.

@ gnasher.. here's what i got off the webshyte its in french but its easy to understand

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2020, 07:43:28 pm »
As I said I'm not aware of the ignition being retarded in lower gears, on UK spec Fazers, French and or other Euro bikes may well be different.

They'll sell you anything if it's makes money, certain well known company lists a stage 1 jet kit for an certain air filter.  Which is pretty much useless for UK bikes and meant for other markets (at the time leaner fuelling) but UK stealers stocked and sold them, well debated on here sometime ago now.

But 179 Euro for a resistor that cost a few pence  :eek   :rolleyes [size=78%]   [/size]
Later

74eldiablo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2020, 07:50:16 pm »
Well if it did work I'm sure lots of foccers would be all over it....... Next idea to spend/waste some money.

That avatar of yours is extremely off putting  :b :b

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2020, 11:20:45 pm »
Well if it did work I'm sure lots of foccers would be all over it....... Next idea to spend/waste some money.

That avatar of yours is extremely off putting  :b :b

That's what i meant, it would've been all over this forum if it was an improvement in any way, but i don't remember it ever being mentioned before, and a quick search confirmed that.
Maybe a spray job to a black bike will be a good alternative?  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2020, 10:49:06 am »
Fazer's out of the box are almost at their limit of tune without serious engine work.  Fitting a free flowing end can and filter, is a cheapish way of cleaning up the lower/mid range and getting rid of the hole put there to get through noise regulations, it gives a good few horse back in that range and a few 2-3 top end.

Later

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2020, 12:12:08 pm »
:agree

An easy breathing engine (exhaust and filter) along with a carb balance and TPS reset make the FZS600 much better than standard. Many people have tried to get even more by porting their engines or fitting pod filters and re-jetting but they always go back to the standard airbox and jets in the end as they generally don't succeed in making it any better.

There are people on this forum that have had FZS600's from new in 97/99/99 and still ride them today. Others like me went away and came back to the FZS as we realised how good the FZS is without modding the hell out of it like you have to on other bikes and therefore maintaining its comfort, economy and rideability/performance etc.

If you do try the kit, report back as it may be something we could all use. That said however, unless your on the track, it wont make a real difference as on the road, the FZS can keep up with 1000cc machines up to the speed limit and beyond without breaking a sweat. Above 90-100mph it is a different story but that's only an issue on the track.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again