Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:06 pm

Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 3194 times)

Dman2019

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Headlights
« on: 17 May 2020, 08:49:47 am »
Hi all, I’ve got a box head light fazer/mk1, early on I put spot lights on as the headlights are dim, This week I have done the head light conversion so both headlights are on for main beam. Headlights are still dim.
Has anyone changed the bulbs to led ones?
A mate gave me one to try a few years ago but it didn’t work in his bike or mine.
Spots are fine, just thought I’d see if Led bulbs work and to make me as visible as possible.
Can anyone recommend Led bulbs if they have worked?
Cheers

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Headlights
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2020, 07:30:35 am »
Hi all, I’ve got a box head light fazer/mk1, early on I put spot lights on as the headlights are dim, This week I have done the head light conversion so both headlights are on for main beam. Headlights are still dim.
Has anyone changed the bulbs to led ones?
A mate gave me one to try a few years ago but it didn’t work in his bike or mine.
Spots are fine, just thought I’d see if Led bulbs work and to make me as visible as possible.
Can anyone recommend Led bulbs if they have worked?
Cheers

LED's will not improve anything unfortunately.
It's not the bulbs that are the issue, it's the reflector unit surrounding them that is simply not man enough for the job.

Having the Boxeye causes more issues too because of the H1 bulb fitment.
If it's the LED's with the large finned attachment at the rear of them that you're thinking of then the H4 side could work, but not the H1 side.
I've looked into this a few times but never really found an "easy" solution.

Using Phillips Extreme or Osram Nightbreakers are probably the best standard bulbs available. I've tried both of them too, and they're pretty much the same thing, just have a good look around online as prices can really vary, or there could be a deal on somewhere.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2020, 10:42:44 pm »
I have LED bulbs in my boxeye, along with the dual dipped beam mod, and it makes quite a difference from stock!

There's a knack to fitting the C6 style bulbs but it's certainly doable.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2020, 08:15:55 am »
I have LED bulbs in my boxeye, along with the dual dipped beam mod, and it makes quite a difference from stock!

:useless

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2020, 12:26:13 pm »
Fitting HID or quality LED's will a make big difference, but not of you mod them so they're on at the same time. 

The reflectors are not only poor in design they're single purpose, in that one is for low beam the other for high.  If you simply just carryout the wiring mod you'll blind oncoming traffic, this will be made worse with HID/LEDs, you have to lower the right hand (H4 bulb) reflector.  By doing so you'll lose high beam efficiency, which already isn't great due to poor reflector design.

When fitting HID or LEDs dont do the wring mod just ensure the reflectors are set correctly. 

Better still if you can get hold of one fit a headlight unit from a 400, both are H4 and both lights are on at the same time low and high beam.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2020, 03:27:30 pm by Gnasher »
Later

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2020, 12:50:27 pm »

I don't think I have a standard bulb anymore for comparison, but I'll get some pictures of the bulbs tonight!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2020, 08:50:39 pm »

I don't think I have a standard bulb anymore for comparison, but I'll get some pictures of the bulbs tonight!

Just curious what you did on the H1 side.

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2020, 10:14:03 pm »
Here are the fitted bulbs:

The H1 bulb is held in with this clip, I guess this is the missing piece of the puzzle for everyone?
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H1-LED-Headlight-Holder-Adapter-For-Honda-Prelude-CR-V-Odyssey-Acura-RSX-SG/233587576930

And finally, a couple of images with the camera settings locked!
dipped beam:

sidelight:

and lights off:

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2020, 12:12:50 pm »
Is that an H1 bulb on the left?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2020, 02:59:28 pm »
Eh what-the ----------------- :eek
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2020, 03:15:33 pm »
Is that an H1 bulb on the left?

Yes.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2020, 06:35:45 am »
Okay, thank you for the pics, and even more so the info on that plastic adaptor, i never knew about that, and both are extremely helpful for everyone!

I'm gonna be blunt now though, and say i'm not convinced that these particular LED's are an improvement at all.
One of the big problems i have found over the years with things like headlight bulbs/LED's is that they all sound fantastic in their marketing adverts, which is what marketing is all about, but the reality is more often than not they are a complete let down.
I have also learned not to get involved with these so called super duper bulbs/LED's that are being sold in China. They are highly likely to be inferior quality, fake or simply shit and worthy of the bin straight away, plus you can't even return them because you will most certainly lose out financially and then they can even deny receiving them back at all.
The other problem is there are literally hundreds, if not thousands to choose from, and unless you have a side by side comparison in identical conditions you are no wiser whatsoever to what you may be about to buy in regards to whether they will be an improvement or not?

May i suggest that you have a go at lining up your headlights correctly, they should be dipped down to the left but in the photo the fence is lit up on the right side, yet the floor isn't, and the scatter is very erratic. I reckon you will get a lot more light out of them once they are both pointing in the correct area, and be better for spotting potholes with at night.
They need to be adjusted at night time around 25 feet away from a brick wall with the bike on a level service for best results. I always do mine in our car park at work aimed at the building so i'm not in anyone's way. The lights should be set straight ahead then just dip them down to the left a bit.

(Notice in my photos that the lights would not be blinding the driver of the car)

I'll post some comparison photo's below so everyone can see, but again, thanks for the pics.
As they say "Pictures speak louder than words"  ;)
« Last Edit: 22 May 2020, 06:57:52 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2020, 06:39:31 am »
I think the bulbs i have in are Philips Extreme, but as i said before the difference between those and Osram Nightbreakers are very minimal.

First photo is just headlights

Second photo is with headlights AND 10w spotlights attached to the side of my radiator.

(Boxeye model, using H1 & H4 bulbs)

« Last Edit: 22 May 2020, 06:44:20 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2020, 07:04:38 am »
You might think that any these lights look reasonable enough in the photos, but the reality is if you had one of these new scooters roll up next to you their headlight unit would very easily show up as being vastly superior.
But that's just technology for you, everything is bigger, brighter, sharper and better these days.   

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2020, 01:45:58 pm »
Did no one see my picture

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2020, 02:50:08 pm »
😂

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2020, 03:55:32 pm »
Did no one see my picture
Obviously, since no one commented on the Sasquatch  :rollin

Farmboy81

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2020, 04:06:54 pm »
Didn't you do one before where he was coming out of the drain? It's completely possible I have mis-remembered, but I'm sure I've seen summat like that on here before?

Either that or I was having a really bad night when I fitted the spots and new bulbs to my own Fazer!  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2020, 04:20:28 pm »
Didn't you do one before where he was coming out of the drain? It's completely possible I have mis-remembered, but I'm sure I've seen summat like that on here before?

Either that or I was having a really bad night when I fitted the spots and new bulbs to my own Fazer!  :lol
Yes it was Darrsi's picture Dman's picture reminded me of it. Its not sasquatch its from a film because the view reminded me of the one in the film. Any guesses 

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2020, 06:33:21 pm »
There you go  :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2020, 07:03:33 pm »
There you go  :lol
That was good one  :rollin

bald_pig

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2020, 11:03:16 pm »
They might not be the best option, but they were an improvement over the bulbs that came out, but anything is really!

And I know I need to realign them, I started to remove them, remembered how much of a faff it was to do it all in the right order and bunged them back in again!

Luckily, despite being a key worker I can do 99% of my work from home so she isn't getting used much :)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2020, 11:16:02 pm »
They might not be the best option, but they were an improvement over the bulbs that came out, but anything is really!

And I know I need to realign them, I started to remove them, remembered how much of a faff it was to do it all in the right order and bunged them back in again!

Luckily, despite being a key worker I can do 99% of my work from home so she isn't getting used much :)

Whenever you get round to getting the beam on both lights right, could you post another picture up please as firstly I'm sure once aligned they will look way better, and secondly this is the sort of post that will be checked out by people quite a lot.  :thumbup

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2020, 01:10:21 am »

When I started looking for a Fazer I was looking for a red black and silver boxeye and I had planned to fit this as one of my first mods, as it turns out I got a foxeye  and don't need it but although they're not cheap it seems like the best mod for boxeye headlights.
 https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/yamaha-fzs600-fazer-1998-2001-1.html
« Last Edit: 23 May 2020, 01:15:05 am by vinnyb »

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2020, 08:05:24 am »
These have been around for a while now, even with standard bulbs they're an improvement.  The issue with them has been price and the HID fitment come MOT time many will fail and HID and the high beam motor can fail.  With LED's that's now not an issue, but the price now is.  Quality adjustable LEDs are expensive £60 - 120 each, which pushes this mod to round £350 or more depending on the LEDs. 

They're also issues with the fitting it's not a straight plug and play.  Some conversion of connectors is required, getting it all to fit within the firing can be challenge, if you don't feel up to fitting yourself this will add to the price around £70 ish. 

But if you use the bike a lot at night, it's a worth while mod with LEDs which should get you through an MOT.  If you opt for HID you'll be running the risk of MOT fail or you'll have to fit Halogen for the test.  Oh and make sure you order UK spec left hand traffic.   
« Last Edit: 23 May 2020, 08:48:15 am by Gnasher »
Later