Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:10 am

Author Topic: Broken exhaust stud  (Read 1521 times)

gfurm

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Broken exhaust stud
« on: 01 April 2020, 10:04:33 pm »
Hi.
I had to remove my ehaust due to holes in the collector under the engine. I've been soaking the studs in plusgas for 2 weeks while still riding to work every day. Managed to get 7 nuts off without any issues. Not so lucky with the last one. Snapped with stud sticking out from the head, so I bought a set of stud extractors. They look like sockets and grab the stud when you turn.
Snapped flush with the head now.
Tried drilling - drill slipped and went sideways. just caught the head. No major damage but I can't start drilling straight now with engine in he frame.
So last option is to try and weld a nut to it and try screwing it out. I'll have to ask my neighbour who has a welder but with this social distancing it's a bit awkward.
Last question is:It's 4th stud from the left, right in the centre of the head. What will happen if I just bolt the exhaust without it? I have new copper gaskets so will it squash them and seal with one nut missing? I really don't fancy removing the head to get this done.
Thanks

Spykeeboi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX6R J1
    • View Profile
Re: Broken exhaust stud
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2020, 11:02:11 pm »
Hi m8 have you tried to use a sharp centre punch to get the hole started.. Make sure you use a set of decent sharp drill bits. May be easier than welding a nut onto it... Invest in a set of irwin bolt grips... worth their weight in gold

Bracechenko v2

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2020, 05:26:36 am »
Ah - just bolt it on with 7 studs....it'll seal fine especially as they're in the centre.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2020, 07:20:36 am »
rather than taking the head off take the whole front end off,wheel, forks,radiator etc and jack the front of the bike up as high as you can, just done my thou this way,its a lot easier and no gaskets to buy...
One, is never going to be enough.....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2020, 12:09:25 pm »
Too late now but maybe an idea for other in the future. Because you had a bit of stud sticking out could you of added a thread joiner, cut flush with the bracket. Make the hole in the bracket bigger to accommodate it then fix with a bolt into the end.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

gfurm

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2020, 03:02:32 pm »
I've diecided to try the easy way first.Bolted everything together with 7 studs only. Had to jam a 8mm nut between pipe and bracket where there was only one stud to stop the bracket moving around.

It worked. No smoke coming out form between head and the pipe. I'll have to check properly when I go to work next time, but I think it's fine.
I didn't know this thing could be so quiet. I had 6cm long hole in the 4 to 1 collector thingie under he engine. That has now been welded and it's so quiet you can talk next to it without shouting :).

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2020, 04:31:17 pm »
I've diecided to try the easy way first.Bolted everything together with 7 studs only. Had to jam a 8mm nut between pipe and bracket where there was only one stud to stop the bracket moving around.

It worked. No smoke coming out form between head and the pipe. I'll have to check properly when I go to work next time, but I think it's fine.
I didn't know this thing could be so quiet. I had 6cm long hole in the 4 to 1 collector thingie under he engine. That has now been welded and it's so quiet you can talk next to it without shouting :) .

One thing you may, or may not, suffer is a high pitched vibrating noise at certain revs, just to give you a heads up in case you start hearing things.  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 April 2020, 03:04:51 pm »
Hi Foccers
6mm mild steel exhaust studs are manufactured by Satan in Hell, to punish foccers for howling their engines. :evil
I opted for the full purgatory, and removed the engine. Even then I didn't get one of them out without damaging a thread,
(number three, of course). Fortunately God has invented Helicoils so I didn't have to go up to M8.

PS I think welding a nut onto the end of a broken off stud would actually be impossible...and pointless,
since it would just snap off.
« Last Edit: 04 April 2020, 09:19:41 pm by Steve3351 »

gfurm

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2020, 07:25:25 pm »
If I have to do it again I will cut the nuts off the studs. Should have done that this time.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2020, 08:20:26 pm »
I thought the heat from welding the nut broke the "seal" of rust between stud and barrel ? I have seen that as the solution on loads of sites...

Never tried it personally tho' :rolleyes

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2020, 10:16:35 pm »
yes this heating of the nuts theory.... :eek  ....Would probably help under ideal conditions on the bench, but u have to use real red hot heat from a cutting torch,
not just mild warmth from a puny Lpg blowtorch. impossible i would say with the head still on the bike, or even off it, without melting everything around the stud.
The solution is to go back to the happy day when u drove ur new Fazr home, not exceeding 2,500 revs...and instead of carefully cleaning off any road dust or raindrops
painstakingly take out all the exhaust studs and replace with stainless steel bolts exactly the right length, using copper grease.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2020, 09:31:28 am »
From my experience, if you have a bike you use all year round, especially in the winter when they cover the roads with salt, then over time the studs simply degrade.
When i last took my exhaust off to replace the gaskets, i was thinking it would be a nice an easy job as i'd sprayed the studs for a couple of weeks beforehand to try and prep them for removal.
The reality was that the stud didn't just break, it was like it was made of soft sugar candy, and it would've made no difference at all what i did to it, it was going to break regardless and it just twisted off around half way of the stud extremely easily.
This was a known problem which is why i believe Yamaha made the studs bigger on later bikes, rather than the useless 6mm ones we have on these.
So it really is the luck of the draw if you can undo the header nuts safely without some sort of complication.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2020, 12:57:05 pm »
instead of carefully cleaning off any road dust or raindrops
painstakingly take out all the exhaust studs and replace with stainless steel bolts exactly the right length, using copper grease.
I often think of my Fazer as a time machine as I always arrive before I was expected  :D But I don't think I could push its time travel properties quite that far  :lol
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.