Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:20 pm

Author Topic: how can you tell if your water/oil pump is working properly??  (Read 997 times)

psyfi_1

• Weekend Warrior
  • bikes bikes bikes
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
Hi guys just wondering if there was a way to work out if the water pump is working my bike got a little hot today and i understand it was a hot day but it was only about 20 min ride out stop and wait for half hour then 20 mins again fans was on alot of the time.....

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: how can you tell if your water/oil pump is working properly??
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2019, 05:12:54 pm »
For the oil pump, you will get a horrible grinding noise just before the engine stops. The oil light on the FZS600 is for oil level not pressure like you find on cars.

For the water pump, you would get the orange (might be red) light come on in the rev counter. TBH, it has been feccin hot today so I am not surprised your fan was running a lot. I took the car up the road at lunchtime and it was up to operating temperature within 3/4 mile when it usually takes 1.5 miles.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 July 2019, 06:27:37 pm »
Most likely it's fine. A very hot day and low speed city riding will make the fan will come on. If you want to check it let the engine cool down fully. Then open the rad cap. Top it off with some water. Start the engine. If the pump is working you should see the coolant flowing and mixing with the water.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2019, 07:09:38 pm »
Most likely it's fine. A very hot day and low speed city riding will make the fan will come on. If you want to check it let the engine cool down fully. Then open the rad cap. Top it off with some water. Start the engine. If the pump is working you should see the coolant flowing and mixing with the water.
Would there also be an initial rise of the liquid as it starts to push the liquid around.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2019, 08:31:09 pm »
yeah could be a very slight rise

Steve3351

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2019, 10:52:34 pm »
Seems a bit off for the fan to come on so soon...the fan only ever comes on for me if I'm stopped in traffic for AGES.... :b
First thing is to check the level of coolant...?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2019, 05:42:21 am »
Highly likely that the cooling system could do with a clean. Once the waterways get a bit clogged up over time they get narrower causing the engine to get warmer than normal and with narrower channels for the fluid to travel through causing the bike to overheat.
When it overheats the fan will be the first thing to trigger, but after that if coolant can't move about properly it will start to rise in the expansion tank, and will eventually boil to the point it gets chucked out onto the floor through the overflow pipe.

When the bike cools down it would normally draw the coolant back into the engine, and a good airtight system, even on hot days, will retain similar levels of coolant every time, which can be checked with the bike on the centre stand then looking at the level to see if it's between the lower/higher markings on the expansion tank, looking underneath the seat from the right hand side of the bike.

Obviously if any fluid has been dumped then the chances are the expansion tank will look either very low, or just empty.

If this is the case then get a bottle of Radflush rather sharpishly and do a system clean out, then replace with new decent coolant.

Be warned, it is not an ideal thing to do in very hot weather, because you mix the small bottle of Radflush with pure water whilst going through the cleaning cycle, and as there won't be any coolant involved then the water will quickly boil like water in a kettle so bear that in mind.   

You can either let the bike tick over for a while, or if it was a sensible temperature i personally would go for a 10 mile ride, but either way, in this climate expect the fan to come on again until the engine has been properly cleaned out.

Once done, flush out the shite out with a hose in the top of the rad and the lower engine bolt removed, then replace with the appropriate coolant mixture, or preferably (in my opinion) premixed coolant. 

When you've topped up the radiator, plus the expansion tank is correctly between levels, with the tank supported firmly you can start the engine with the radiator cap off and let the coolant move around a bit to expel any air bubbles which will rise to the top. You can also VERY GENTLY apply a small amount of throttle to increase the circulation to help this along, then after a minute or so, switch off, let it settle, then top up again with coolant.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2019, 05:44:38 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2019, 05:50:02 am »
For the record, the fans rarely do come on with these bikes, plus you just have to take the hottest day of the year into the equation.
In the same breath though, you are the only person to even mention that your fan came on, which speaks volumes in itself, so to me that is a sure sign your system needs a good cleaning.

You must use the Radflush though, do not even think that just changing old for for newer coolant will help, 'cos it really won't.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.