Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:26 pm

Author Topic: Touring Tips and Tricks  (Read 4938 times)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Touring Tips and Tricks
« on: 09 May 2019, 06:19:47 pm »
I’m thinking about doing a bit of touring on the fazer thou in the north of Scotland this year.

I was planning on packing a tent and camping out mostly, but maybe the odd overnight stay in a B and B to get a “proper” sleep and shower etc.

Having never done any touring on the bike before I’m turning to the foccer font of knowledge for any tips and tricks you seasoned tourers have acquired over the years. I’m not new to camping but never with the bike.

How do you guys get round issues like the mobile phone going flat (power bank, or fit a USB charger to the bike?), what sort of tools do you pack for a week away, and what are you checking/changing on the bike for peace of mind?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Mick

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Touring Tips and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2019, 06:46:26 pm »
Hi Mickvp,
Hopefully I'll be doing a similar trip this year. Will no doubt just look out for a weather window opportunity.
Regarding phone charging, I just have a handlebar mounted cigar lighter socket and use a plugin usb converter to charge the phone or powerbank, these being placed in my tankbag, which is also handy to have for maps or route notes etc.
My mini compressor would work off this socket in the unfortunate event of a puncture. Spares wise just bulbs, chain lube, and on a long trip sometimes include the rear axle nut socket with a suitable bar in case chain adjustment necessary.
Pack your clothes in a bin liner/builders sack just in case your waterproof luggage isn't :lol . I use a Lomo top opening bag to fit all my camping stuff in. You'll also want a chair of some sort, the Helinox copies are good and take up little room.
Pre trip maintenace is really just standard stuff that you'd do anyway. State of tyres, pressures, oil, how old is the brake fluid, what's the pad life. Stuff you normally keep an eye on. Lastly pack your bike a day or so before you go so you'll know you're comfortable and have an idea of the increased weight. Good luck, ride safe.

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2019, 06:51:21 pm »
One other thing, something to place under the sidestand on muddy ground. I use a square of thick stainless with a cord threaded through a hole in one corner. Tie the other end of the cord to the handlebars, so when you're ready to leave the campsite, just pull it up like an anchor, wrap the cord round it and put in the tank bag. Might look a bit weird, but it works. :lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2019, 07:52:53 pm »
One other thing, something to place under the sidestand on muddy ground. I use a square of thick stainless with a cord threaded through a hole in one corner. Tie the other end of the cord to the handlebars, so when you're ready to leave the campsite, just pull it up like an anchor, wrap the cord round it and put in the tank bag. Might look a bit weird, but it works. :lol
I carry a plastic one under my seat - think it came free with a bike mag once, they are called side stand pucks. And once you have almost ended up under the bike whilst trying to pick one up you realise how cleaver the little piece of string is.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2019, 10:25:28 am »

Don't forget the essentials  :lol 

« Last Edit: 11 May 2019, 10:26:02 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2019, 11:40:29 am »
I’m more of a Brut man myself 😂.

Some handy tips so far guys, thanks for those :)

I don’t have one of those puck things yet but that’s been mentioned to me before so there’s probably something in it. I’ll get one made up in work I think.

What about luggage etc? Are soft panniers suitable and then maybe just strap a lomo bag to the back seat next to the tent?

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2019, 12:07:29 pm »
I carry a plastic one under my seat - think it came free with a bike mag once, they are called side stand pucks. And once you have almost ended up under the bike whilst trying to pick one up you realise how cleaver the little piece of string is.

This is a genius idea, and so true.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2019, 01:25:01 pm »
Soft panniers are ok, but offer little in the way of security. In the past most of my journeys are completed in a day without stopping off siteseeing etc, so soft luggage and a back box have been fine. Used hard luggage for the first time last year, only small 21 litre panniers, but found them useful as spares/tools etc could be packed in the bottom of one and just forgotten about. Topped that box up with cooking gear, food etc. I have cobbled together a stainless adaptor plate, that moves the givi rack a little further backwards, in order to be more comfortable with a large Lomo/Ortleib type bag across the pillion seat. That wouldn't be necessary if you steer clear of pubs and pie shops :lol .

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2019, 01:35:31 pm »
I’m more of a Brut man myself 😂.

Some handy tips so far guys, thanks for those :)

I don’t have one of those puck things yet but that’s been mentioned to me before so there’s probably something in it. I’ll get one made up in work I think.
Simple plastic thing like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-Side-Stand-Support-Pad-Puck-Black-Anti-Slip-Sliding-98mm/153439925423?epid=25003166613&hash=item23b9bb74af:g:9tYAAOSwjQhcpeF2

Or something like this that fits permanently over the oem. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MV-Agusta-F4-1000-R-2010-2018-RC-R-G-racing-side-stand-kickstand-shoe-cover-Puck/311469354166?epid=1832992195&hash=item4885052cb6:g:pmQAAOSw-vlVhDhv
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2019, 01:53:43 pm »
Old piece of wood or flattened coke can also work 😀

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2019, 02:40:57 pm »
So while you're wandering about in a muddy campsite looking for a coke can to flatten, or a piece of wood....your bikes fallen over. I'll stick with my chunk of metal and piece of string thanks :lol . It's always there and has never let me down.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2019, 02:42:06 pm by robbo »

Don71uk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2019, 03:14:11 pm »

Can of beer, cider, etc in tank bag, arrive,  drink whilst sitting on bike, crush, and drop can on ground and side stand down, job done,

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2019, 03:19:42 pm »
So while you're wandering about in a muddy campsite looking for a coke can to flatten, or a piece of wood....your bikes fallen over. I'll stick with my chunk of metal and piece of string thanks :lol . It's always there and has never let me down.

No, I take the wood with me 😀
I’ve got a few of those plastic pucks as well, they used to dish them at the Stafford show gratis on arrival. But the wood is a bigger piece for greater surface area.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2019, 03:43:38 pm »
Quite agree, can't beat a big surface area to spread the load making a big footprint. :thumbup

steve 10562cc

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KAWASAKI Z1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2019, 04:39:16 pm »
Guess the same could be said for comfortable seats, unlike the small hardly padded  oak planks the put on bikes now.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2019, 08:57:35 pm »
Ok what would I take,  a small decent torch cree for example, paracetamol and ibuprofen as I get a bit of back pain when I'm in the saddle for long periods. A water bladder is good, you'll need water for cooking if you're doing the camping thing. oh and another thing deodorant, go for the stick type rather than the spray, its the only one that works properly.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2019, 11:57:50 pm »
Haha! I too have a wooden disc on a piece of string!!
I take a small kettle, a trangia method burner and a pan so a cuppa and a bowl of soup is never far away.
I take a small plastic bottle of engine oil in case a top up required, and a mini pump and some puncture plugs.
I have a led bulb on an extension lead I plug into the bike that can charge a phone or provide light at night. Also added a usb socket to the handlebars.
And I always seem to take too many clothes

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 May 2019, 07:13:41 am »
When I started this biking/camping lark many moons ago, I compiled a "to take" and "to do", lists regarding camping essentials and preparation. In later years this morphed into a laminated sheet that could be ticked off, and wiped clean ready for the next trip. Dickturpin's tip to take a small container of your favourite oil is something I've always done, placing it inside a latex glove. The taking of too many clothes is also very relevant. A towel takes up a lot of valuable space, but a 180x90 cms microfibre travel towel packs about the size of a paperback. I use the xl size from The Little Bodhi, on Amazon about 12 quidish. Boil in a bag type meals by Look what We've Found are also handy,tasty and don't take up much space. The list goes on and on and..... :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 May 2019, 02:58:58 pm »
What, no "stay in a nice comfortable hotel" ? You lot are slipping  :rolleyes

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 May 2019, 04:54:46 pm »
Soft panniers are ok, but offer little in the way of security. In the past most of my journeys are completed in a day without stopping off siteseeing etc, so soft luggage and a back box have been fine. Used hard luggage for the first time last year, only small 21 litre panniers, but found them useful as spares/tools etc could be packed in the bottom of one and just forgotten about. Topped that box up with cooking gear, food etc. I have cobbled together a stainless adaptor plate, that moves the givi rack a little further backwards, in order to be more comfortable with a large Lomo/Ortleib type bag across the pillion seat. That wouldn't be necessary if you steer clear of pubs and pie shops :lol .

I probably wont be leaving the bike for extended lengths of time so not overly concerned about security. plus, the only thing of value will be my phone which will be on me anyway. (plus im a cheap scottish fekker  :rollin ).

Ok what would I take,  a small decent torch cree for example, paracetamol and ibuprofen as I get a bit of back pain when I'm in the saddle for long periods. A water bladder is good, you'll need water for cooking if you're doing the camping thing. oh and another thing deodorant, go for the stick type rather than the spray, its the only one that works properly.
got a couple of small torches so ok on that front. will probably be packing bottles of water (dont have a bladder as such but will be stopping regularly enough drinking wont be an issue)
Why do you say that about deodorant out of interest?

Haha! I too have a wooden disc on a piece of string!!
I take a small kettle, a trangia method burner and a pan so a cuppa and a bowl of soup is never far away.
I take a small plastic bottle of engine oil in case a top up required, and a mini pump and some puncture plugs.
I have a led bulb on an extension lead I plug into the bike that can charge a phone or provide light at night. Also added a usb socket to the handlebars.
And I always seem to take too many clothes

need to get myself a small gas cooker, thats on the list if i can get something reliable and compact. got some crafty pluggers and a CO2 canister so ok on that front.

When I started this biking/camping lark many moons ago, I compiled a "to take" and "to do", lists regarding camping essentials and preparation. In later years this morphed into a laminated sheet that could be ticked off, and wiped clean ready for the next trip. Dickturpin's tip to take a small container of your favourite oil is something I've always done, placing it inside a latex glove. The taking of too many clothes is also very relevant. A towel takes up a lot of valuable space, but a 180x90 cms microfibre travel towel packs about the size of a paperback. I use the xl size from The Little Bodhi, on Amazon about 12 quidish. Boil in a bag type meals by Look what We've Found are also handy,tasty and don't take up much space. The list goes on and on and..... :lol

a small bottle of oil is probably a reasonable shout. im not sure if I will need it as the trip will likely be under 1000 miles in total and my bike normally doesnt use oil at all between services.
boil in the bag meals. is that like army rations or super noodles  :rollin ?

What, no "stay in a nice comfortable hotel" ? You lot are slipping  :rolleyes
Again, tight scottish fecker. aside from probably struggling to get booked in (as well as being too lazy to work out where I will be stopping every night) I'm trying to get by on the cheap, so no hotels for me this time :)
Few top tips so far, starting to get some sort of list together  :lol

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2019, 05:44:01 pm »
What, no "stay in a nice comfortable hotel" ? You lot are slipping  [/size]

I did the North Coast 500 in 2017. Camping was the only option, as all the B&Bs were booked up months, if not years in advance by foccing softies.

coffee

• GP Hero
  • Phil Bradbury,like road racing,ireland,music
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2019, 10:17:35 pm »
What, no "stay in a nice comfortable hotel" ? You lot are slipping  [/size]

I did the North Coast 500 in 2017. Camping was the only option, as all the B&Bs were booked up months, if not years in advance by foccing softies.

Me and my beloved toured for 14 years on 2 pan euros,always as "foccing softies" in hotels and B&Bs,we loved it,especially in France and Holland  ;) fuck that camping lark,cold and soaking wet,aaaargh! no way :eek  Tell you what we did find though,some underwear that you could wash at night and it would be dry in the morning,I cant remember the make just now but if I think of it Ill let you know.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2019, 10:21:05 pm by coffee »
never look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2019, 10:31:35 pm »
In a lot of cases it's down to budget. Personally if I don't camp, I can't go. If you've got shed loads to spend in hotels and bnb's, great.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 May 2019, 06:47:53 am »
What, no "stay in a nice comfortable hotel" ? You lot are slipping 

Me and my beloved toured for 14 years on 2 pan euros,always as "foccing softies" in hotels and B&Bs,we loved it,especially in France and Holland  ;) fuck that camping lark,cold and soaking wet,aaaargh! no way :eek  Tell you what we did find though,some underwear that you could wash at night and it would be dry in the morning,I cant remember the make just now but if I think of it Ill let you know.

Found them  :lol

More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

john roche

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000, vfr750
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2019, 02:21:28 pm »
I always take socks, pants and T shirts that are coming to the end of their usable life. Wear them and bin them. You'll have room to bring souvenirs  or a bottle or 2 home and you don't have to do a load of washing when you get home.

Cheers

John
The devil made me do it!