Date: 26-04-24  Time: 15:41 pm

Author Topic: Severely split pipe  (Read 3842 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Severely split pipe
« on: 21 January 2017, 11:49:31 am »
As some of you may know I have been having trouble with a burning smell on my bike. I was getting quite worried as I was thinking something was burning up BUT after another soggy ride this morning I was wiping her down and found staines on my link pipe.
After closer inspection I've found a more or less completely shredded pipe. I'm assuming it's some kind of breather pipe as it runs down behind the brake pedal and doesn't have an end on it?
As you can see by the pics I've got it is an absolute mess? Looks like wolverines been at it haha
The troubling thing now is A. Why is it spewing so much stuff out? Seems to be like white lardy looking stuff
And B. How hard is it going to be to replace 😲😕

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Severely split pipe
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2017, 01:01:55 pm »
I don't know the FZ1 but on the 600 there are a few open ended pipes. (from memory) the petrol tank overflow pipe (either attached to tank, or a funnel arrangement on a bracket under the tank) and a coolant overflow pipe which comes out of the reservoir under the seat.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2017, 01:08:23 pm by Bretty »
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2017, 01:23:11 pm »
If it's dribbling mayonnaise that sounds it's like a drain from the air box. The crankcase breather can blow emulsified oil and condensation into the box, at this time of year the cause is probably just oil temperatures not getting high enough to evaporate the moisture but it is always worth checking coolant level to make sure.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2017, 02:00:01 pm »
If it's dribbling mayonnaise that sounds it's like a drain from the air box. The crankcase breather can blow emulsified oil and condensation into the box, at this time of year the cause is probably just oil temperatures not getting high enough to evaporate the moisture but it is always worth checking coolant level to make sure.

:agree To replace it you will have to lift tank and airbox, detach old pipe from airbox and then if you can attach the new pipe to the old pipe and pull it gently down through the engine and frame you should be able to follow the correct routing. Usually it is to one side so the drips from it are not directly in front of the back tyre. Strange how it has cracked and deteriated so much on a bike that age. Maybe it was too close to exhaust and the heat  has focced it.
Many years ago I had a Bandit 1200 and the breather pipe from the airbox had a little bung in the end, every time I washed it I would remove the bung and get about an eggcup of fluid from it, a mate with same bike had never done it and I did his and nearly filled a jamjar, inside his airbox at bottom was wet through.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2017, 02:03:26 pm »
OK thanks guys at least it's nothing major. I was worried it might have been the fuel one haha
I'll wipe the tank off on Monday and see what's what then see about ordering a new pipe. I'm sure Mr Yamaha will have my pants down for wanting it then and there haha

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2017, 02:21:55 pm »
You need to have a look under your air filter, the housing could need mopping up of emulsified oil.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2017, 02:33:19 pm »
Just checked the manual and apparently that one is the fuel tank breather pipe??
But it's definitely got the emulsified crap coming out of it?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2017, 03:19:34 pm »
You wouldn't get that stuff coming out of the fuel tank breather, it would only be fuel. Airbox gunk looks like liquid honeycomb.
Why the pipe is shredded is a bit of a mystery though.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2017, 04:01:10 pm »
You wouldn't get that stuff coming out of the fuel tank breather, it would only be fuel. Airbox gunk looks like liquid honeycomb.
Why the pipe is shredded is a bit of a mystery though.

Yeah that's what I thought? And foc knows? I'll have to investigate a bit when I take it out. It might be catching somewhere?  They are very neat splits, almost like it's getting cut on something 🤔🤔

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2017, 06:08:35 pm »
I wouldn't mind betting that a reasonably sized motor factors could supply piping that size in a clear plastic/nylon type material for a fraction of the price of the Yamaha replacement pipe and the plus side is you can see what is actually in the pipe being clear/see through.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2017, 07:46:06 pm »
I wouldn't mind betting that a reasonably sized motor factors could supply piping that size in a clear plastic/nylon type material for a fraction of the price of the Yamaha replacement pipe and the plus side is you can see what is actually in the pipe being clear/see through.

I was thinking along them lines Tommy. To be honest I don't even know what I have to buy but was gonna see if anyone could recommend something just to compare against the Yamaha original parts price.
My only worry with something cheap would be the same thing happening again?

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 January 2017, 07:14:57 pm »
Would this be alright to replace it with? I know it might be overkill but it would look nice and wouldn't ever split again?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 January 2017, 07:53:24 pm »
Perfectly ok to me, just check the spigot on the airbox where it fits is 8mm as well.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 January 2017, 08:15:05 pm »
Perfectly ok to me, just check the spigot on the airbox where it fits is 8mm as well.
Cheers 🖒🖒

Rob R

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2009 FZ1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 January 2017, 09:21:21 pm »
If it is the fuel tank breather pipe it should have a white band round it that lines up with the bracket. If not someone's maybe swapped the airbox breather and the tank breather?? AFAIK the airbox breather exits by the gearbox sprocket cover.
If you use s/s braided hose you might want to protect anything it might rub against.
Rob

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 January 2017, 10:18:27 pm »
Well after Robs comment I had a look at photos of other Gen 2s and none of them have that pipe there so now I'm really confused? All of them only have the fuel tank breather and overflow pipes there?

I'll hopefully get time to take it apart tomorrow an see what's going on but seems a bit odd that someone would reroute a hose?

crickleymal

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2017, 09:04:42 am »
Probably get it from B&Q or if not Ebay will certainly have clear piping.
Malc

Old enough to know better.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 January 2017, 12:03:44 pm »
Well I've just popped into the mechys so he could take a look and it's definitely the fuel overflow pipe so least it's nothing major to worry about. Don't know what the congealed  crap was but his beat guess was something that's flicked up from the rear tyre

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 January 2017, 03:32:04 pm »
If it is the fuel overflow pipe and the white stuff had been flicked up by rear tyre the stuff would have been on the outside of the tyre and not on the inside as can be seen in your first picture.
I would still replace it, if it is that condition where you can see it what is it like where it is out of sight, last thing you need is petrol pising out over a hot engine underneatn your arse.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 January 2017, 04:01:50 pm »
Yeah I'm still replacing it 🖒

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 February 2017, 12:36:11 pm »
Well back to this saga again?  It's not the pipe the mechy said it was 😥
It's definitely full of white lard, it's runs over the top of the coolant overflow tank then dissapearshe between the engine and the frame. I spent 25 minutes trying to locate it under the tank but can't see anything.
I checked the airbox as some of you lot said bit there aren't any pipes coming out of that?  No holes in it at all other than the stacks? Besides it was all crystal clear I'm there.
So I'm at a loss with it?
 Guessing I'm gonna have to give up and take it to a garage to get it replaced which is gonna be expensive as it looks quite labour intensive to get it out 😣😣😣

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: 02 February 2017, 12:40:59 pm »
if its full of "lard" its probably just the airbox breather pipe.
Pull the feccer off and leave it off until you get round to stripping the bike one day in 2025
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 February 2017, 03:17:56 pm »
Might just tape it up with electrical tape for now lol

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 February 2017, 03:49:10 pm »
The airbox breather pipe fits onto a small spigot at the back of the airbox in the bottom half just off centre towards the left, Looking at it from the top you probably won't be able to see the spigot but you should be able to see the pipe.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 February 2017, 06:31:23 pm »
You'll ruin your wife's scissors if you try to cut that stuff with them.
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.