Date: 26-04-24  Time: 11:16 am

Author Topic: R6 throttle mod  (Read 1958 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
R6 throttle mod
« on: 20 December 2016, 11:34:34 pm »
My throttle sleeve needs replacing as it has worn and now the throttle returns back past neutral. So anyway looking around for a replacement I found some people are replacing the standard sleeve with the R6 one as it's 1/5 turn instead of 1/4? Making the throttle response more immediate. I'm just wondering anyone has done it here? And if so can I still use my current grips or will I need r6 ones?

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: R6 throttle mod
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2016, 07:26:10 am »
I have used a new R6 tube, off wemoto I think, I ordered new grips too,although they will be the same size as yours
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2016, 08:04:48 pm »
By all means replace it with an R6 tube but don't expect any increase in throttle response. It'll spin up no faster as the limiting factor is the design of the engine. The R6 spins up very fast with it's light crank, the FZS & FZ1 will not.
« Last Edit: 24 December 2016, 08:05:30 pm by DekF »

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2016, 09:12:50 pm »
Thanks slim that's good to know. Really dek? I've got no clue but there are plenty of people that have done it and seem to think it makes a big difference? The theory being that you need less throttle travel to reach fully open, therefore  (in theory) opening the throttle 1/4 of the way with the mod would be equivalent to 1/3 of the standard throttle.... if I'm making any sense?

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2016, 10:27:20 pm »
Thanks slim that's good to know. Really dek? I've got no clue but there are plenty of people that have done it and seem to think it makes a big difference? The theory being that you need less throttle travel to reach fully open, therefore  (in theory) opening the throttle 1/4 of the way with the mod would be equivalent to 1/3 of the standard throttle.... if I'm making any sense?

??????
I think Dudeo started on the sherbet early tonight.  :lol
« Last Edit: 25 December 2016, 01:13:30 pm by tommyardin »

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 December 2016, 05:20:36 pm »
Way I understand it is you just have less movement on the throttle tube so less hand movement from a fully closed throttle to a fully open throttle, probably make the throttle more sensitive. I don't see how engine performance could be in any way improved, the throttle on my FZ1s is pretty sensitive as it is anyway.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 December 2016, 09:58:28 am »

??????
I think Dudeo started on the sherbet early tonight.  :lol

Yeah I was already 12 cans deep when I wrote that  haha but to be fair it still makes sense to me 🤔🤔

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 December 2016, 10:00:23 am »
Way I understand it is you just have less movement on the throttle tube so less hand movement from a fully closed throttle to a fully open throttle, probably make the throttle more sensitive. I don't see how engine performance could be in any way improved, the throttle on my FZ1s is pretty sensitive as it is anyway.

Yeah that's what I was getting at 🖒😊 in a round about way haha

It's not something I'd even heard of people doing until I looked at replacement tubes, they why I though I'd see if anyone here tried it. Seems to be a primarily yank mod?  They are all the same process to be honest so doesn't matter what put on there anyway haha