Date: 18-04-24  Time: 23:29 pm

Author Topic: FZ1 2009 - very slow tick over when cold  (Read 2699 times)

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
FZ1 2009 - very slow tick over when cold
« on: 19 November 2015, 06:15:56 pm »
This morning 8 degs C and the bike wouldn't start with the throttle on the stop which is what it normally does. So to get it going it needed a bit of throttle and then TLC until it was warm enough to tick over without any assistance. It's been running slower and slower on the cold start over the last couple of weeks.
Once it's warmed up a little it's fine and the hot tickover isn't a problem.

The bike is used for commuting and done about 34,000; each run is 25 miles or so. It's serviced on time and apart from this problem has never missed a beat to date:)

Any ideas? Many thanks :)

« Last Edit: 19 November 2015, 06:48:57 pm by FZ1obp »

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 2009 - very slow tick over when cold
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2015, 07:02:39 pm »

Hi
It sounds like the thermowax unit is stuck in the fully open position thus not allowing the enrichment at startup.
The following is adapted from a post I did about 3 year ago but still relevant. It's a step by step guide to checking it's functioning correctly.
You should preferably remove the tank but you can instead just chock it up by placing a piece of 2 x 2 timber on top of the frame and under the rear lip.This has the advantage over propping it up of giving better access under the tank and you'll be able to run the engine later.The airbox needs to be removed but you can leave the velocity stacks sat in the airbox base just slacken the 6 bolts right off.Disconnect the 2 coolant hoses , there'll be almost no loss of fluid. I'd suggest at this point that before you remove the thermowax unit that you check the plunger for rust etc or worse case wax.If it looks ok spray some WD40 on it and work the plunger with your fingers. It should move freely apart from the spring tension.Any signs of wax and it'll need replacing.Reconnect the coolant hoses and airbox and start the engine.The plunger should be in the closed position & not move till about 75 - 80*C when it should then extend fully pushing the tang onto the tickover adjustment screw thus reducing the rpm's to tickover level. I suspect you'll find it fully extended & stuck solid regardless of the rpm's. Rev it, get it nice and hot, let the fans kick-in and observe the rpm's. If they rise unexpectedly check to see if the plunger is still pressed against the tickover screw.If it isn't, the unit will need to be removed and maybe replaced, but I'd try copious amounts of WD40 first.To remove the unit undo the 2 screws, disconnect the spring, take the tickover adjustment cable out of it's holder and pull clear.With it out of the bike split the unit and clean and oil the plunger thoroughly before retrying it. Hopefully though, it can be sorted in situ.Also, while you're in there give the throttle cable mechanisms a good oiling.
Dek

Set the tickover to 1250 - 1300

« Last Edit: 19 November 2015, 07:03:53 pm by DekF »

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2015, 09:22:09 am »
Hi Dek
Thanks so much for the response, really thorough! I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what I can find. Will also speak to local Yam dealer to find out the cost of a new Thermowax unit.
orlando

eddiefz1s

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2015, 08:27:45 pm »
thanks to both of you as i have the same problem with mine and will try this fix.

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2015, 05:28:41 pm »
Guys
Hope you had a good Xmas.
At last I got off my arse and had a good look at the Fazer; I use it daily for commuting and it started ok using the throttle and relying on the ECU to make all the fuel etc mapping but still I'd like to have it running correctly ie warm up on it's own and not stalling..... also the weather may eventually get colder!
As Dek suggested lifted the tank back and blocked it with a long bit of 50*100, didn't remove the air box (cos I'm idle) and then using a long screwdriver with the blade bent at 90degs (like a hook) worked the piston with lots of WD40/GT85 using a long hose the get the lube in the right spot.
Anyway a day later and 4 tests from cold and it seems fine - warming up at 1500 rpm and then cutting back to 1000 at 75 degs C.
Of interest I called the local Yam dealer - have to buy complete throttle assembly at £1600 + £400 to fit; Sharkspare do a thermowax that looks like it will fit for $29 so worth a try! Not sure if there is a UK equivalent?
Dek many thanks again for your help - happy New Year :D
orlando

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2015, 06:27:58 pm »
Your tickover at idle should be about 1200 to 1300 when warmed up,  might be an idea to adjust it. :)

DekF

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Fast as fck s1r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2015, 02:11:04 pm »
orlando
Glad I could help & you got it sorted. Don't bother with a new unit unless it's leaking wax, just keep the existing one well lubed.
As Slappy says, 1000 is too low for tickover, aim for 1250 - 1350, it'll also aid starting.

FZ1obp

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Husaberg TE300
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2015, 03:38:35 pm »
Thanks Dek - I'll up the tickover a bit but I like the lower revs for commuting; still I ride it like a two stroke anyway so a bit more clutch slip won't hurt!
Have a great New Year. :D