Date: 27-04-24  Time: 00:39 am

Author Topic: Play Misty for me!  (Read 2873 times)

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Play Misty for me!
« on: 17 January 2012, 03:37:31 pm »
Well a month or 2 back I got my self a lovely Shoei Qwest helmet, Love it. its about the best thing I have worn on my head (apart from a foe's grandma that i once skinned but thats another story).
Light, warm and dosent get buffeted about half as much as the AGV S4 I had before.

But one of the best things is the Pin Lock insert. I have never used them before and once it was fitted right (first try was not great, 2nd has been spot on)

But this has shown up a problem else where! I wear Glasses, this wasnt an issue before realy as the visor misted up so I had to ride with a slight gap when this happened.
But now with the Qwest being warm and mist free the specs fog up realy fast.
On my old visors I used to use a Pink Stick i got years ago from the NEC and it worked a treat, it also works well on bathroom mirror :P but i have treated the spec's a few times now and it dosent seem to be having any effect at all.

so I am on the lookout for something that would work well on the spec's to stop them misting.
Idealy Laser eye surgery or contacts lol but i cant afford the first and the 2nd i just cant seem to get on with.

So any ideas?
there's loads on the market but i have tried a few in the distant past with no joy as far as visors go, but it dose seem to be diff for glass's as to visors on what works.

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
Re: Play Misty for me!
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2012, 03:56:41 pm »
I used RainX anti fog and BobHeath anti mist visor stuff in the past.  Both worked a treat but one (or both) of them buggered up the coating on the glasses! 

I heard that that was a benefit of the pink stick - it was safe on glasses that had a coating on them.

My old man swore by potato peelings for inside the visor and his glasses.  I just persevered with contacts.

eddie

• FOC-U Lost Boy.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 January 2012, 04:18:46 pm »
yup contacts  are the way to go..if you are an occasional biker try daily disposables

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2012, 04:22:37 pm »
I heard a biker had an eye operation and it worked very good for him. 3, or 4 k euros it cost him though. Said it was one of the best investments he made.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2012, 12:05:16 am »
Idealy Laser eye surgery or contacts lol but i cant afford the first and the 2nd i just cant seem to get on with.

When you say "can't seem to get on with" contacts, what type have you tried?

Also how bad is your prescription? Mine is so bad that I can't get Laser treatment anyway!

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2012, 12:24:24 am »
I havent looked in to laser treatment as i know i couldnt afford it.
I did try daily disposable contacts but i just couldnt get them in on my own, i could now and then in the shop but i ended up wasting them most of the time.
tried for about 2 weeks and doubt i managed to get them in more than half the time. once they were in they were great and riding the bike was fantastic.
i just cant get them in.

i have used bob heath on visors before and it did seem to work ok for a while as long as you kept topping it up. but as you say i was warned it would damage glass's
When i was a dispatch rider long ago i did use the raw potato trick, it dose work a treat but it also smears. better than all foged up but still anoying lol.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2012, 02:56:08 am »
I did try daily disposable contacts but i just couldnt get them in on my own, i could now and then in the shop but i ended up wasting them most of the time.

It might be worth considering RGP or Rigid Gas Permeable lenses. I've been using them for about 30 years now and they're so much better than glasses!

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2012, 08:37:55 am »
Ah Ghosty - a topic i unfortunately know all to much about.

Nothing really works - not in a permanent way that will always stop your glasses misting up at this time of the year - I simply leave a crack open till 30mph - after which i shut it and leave all vents open

or rather i did - now i wear Acuvue Contact Lenses all the time - and the problem is gone lol

but the reason i wear contacts is BECAUSE Of the above problem doing my head in!!

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2012, 09:31:26 am »
not knowing much about the subject but just a thought.....

lads (and lasses) in the armed forces that wear specs are issued with an insert for their respirators

is this an option for helmets or visors?
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 January 2012, 11:10:34 am »
just close your eyes and let jesus guide you
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 January 2012, 11:47:24 am »
It's worth persevering with contact lenses if there is any chance you can eventually get on with them.

I wear day/night soft contact lenses. You put 'em in and wear permanently for a month - then change.

Because you are not handling them daily removing and cleaning etc. they don't need to be very robust. Hence they are very thin which makes them comfortable and also very gas permeable.

In fact the reason my optician moved me onto these was because I was wearing normal daily lenses for too long each day and my eyes were suffering from oxygen depletion. So ironically the solution was to wear lenses permanently !

I find I generally forget all about them and just spend one night each month at changeover time without them to give my eyes a short respite. On very rare occasions, if my eyes have got particularly dry or tired, I may take them out overnight for a rest but I can't remember the last time I felt the need to do this.

On a slightly different tack whilst we are talking about lenses I have a different prescription for each eye. Previously my lenses corrected short sightedness and I had to additionally wear glasses for reading. Now my left lens is targeted for reading and my right lens for distance. Don't ask me how this works but apparently when you get used to it your brain sorts it out. Not all people are suitable for this approach (depending on prescription) and not everybody adapts well to it but its great for me - no more glasses needed and my overall vision is very good.
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2012, 06:51:53 pm »
I would dearly love to get on with contact's as it would solve many problems. the 2 downsides are i cant get them in and out and also the daily ones are of an odd perscription that i was told was expensive compaired to others. though this was a year or more ago i tried them now. (these are the ones i would use as i wouldnt use them all the time. being on disability benifits meens cost is a huge issue)

I will keep useing pink stick for now, but its effect seems to be very limited on the glass's where as on the visor it worked a treat which is odd.
i down hien gerik later this month so might see what they have on offer to

Gingernutz

• FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion
    June 08
    Joint winner Feb 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2012, 09:06:38 pm »
Have you tried a breath deflector? Its a little bit of rubber Shoei make to send you breath out the vents instead of up to your specs. I got one from my scuberth and it seems to help.
I have a flib so can't use fog guards but I've heard good things about this one

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 January 2012, 09:52:26 pm »
A good idea, might give that a shot. it dosent look like it will do much but worth a try.
i use the chin curtain and that makes it a lot warmer

Tori

• Tent Pole Erector / Truck Hunter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 January 2012, 10:28:20 pm »
I can't use contacts either. I can't even contemplate trying. When my visor fogs up, it's clearly too cold. So I take the car.

Not much help am I. ;-) x

glynblue2

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 January 2012, 11:06:15 pm »
Try a small drop of neat fairy liquid ,drop a small amount onto your glasses and polish with a soft tissues works for me....

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 January 2012, 11:18:03 pm »
I can't use contacts either. I can't even contemplate trying. When my visor fogs up, it's clearly too cold. So I take the car.

Not much help am I. ;-) x

well thats the thing, my visor is perfect now i have pin lock. cant say just how impressed i am with it, should nhave tried it years ago. I wont have another visor without it thats for sure.

I did used to use fairy on truck mirrors, forgot about that trick, worth a try as its free. "should" be ok with the coatings i would have thought.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2012, 11:55:59 am »
Got given this link from another site, the mask scored high but i think as it rides high on the nose it might get in the way of the glass's. so gunna go with the wipes they recomend, ment to be perfectly safe on coated glass's and worked a treat in the test,s

not realy that cheap that i can find but worth a shot

oh and look how the washing up liquid scored :P odd as it did used to work a little on the truck mirrors
but they didnt try potato's strange ppl :P