Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:57 am

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1585350 times)

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #7700 on: 25 September 2018, 09:17:02 am »
Headed out to Northern Ireland on Saturday (crossing Stranraer to Larne) with wife and son on the 2 Fazer's and me on the FJ 12.

Touring round and visiting natural wonders for the last couple of days and heading down to Castle Ward today, then back up to Joey Dunlop memorial garden and a couple of other Game of Thrones filming sites.

B & B internet isn't great, so limited pics uploaded.

Ready to leave

Torr Head (can yo spot the Fazer's?)

Carrick a Rede Rope Bridge

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600 2003, FZS 600 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: 29 September 2018, 07:10:40 pm »
A 180 mile round trip on the 600 to the Anglesey Circuit to watch my friends racing in the Wirral 100 Club meeting. Frosty start but sunny and blue skies.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: 29 September 2018, 08:40:02 pm »
A 303 mile round trip to the David Silver museum in Suffolk. An eventful day to say the least :lol .
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7703 on: 30 September 2018, 01:01:42 am »
Went up to Halfrauds and tried to find a paint to match the frame on my FZ6 without luck :(

I can find ones that look similar, but I'm not sure the finish would match and it would probably annoy me more to have something almost, but not quite right and I really don't want to have to repaint the whole rear end...

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: 30 September 2018, 09:14:44 am »
Went up to Halfrauds and tried to find a paint to match the frame on my FZ6 without luck :(

I can find ones that look similar, but I'm not sure the finish would match and it would probably annoy me more to have something almost, but not quite right and I really don't want to have to repaint the whole rear end...

Have you tried here ? http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php?setlocale=true
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: 30 September 2018, 12:04:52 pm »
Or if you have a good  body shop supplier  near that can make you up a aerosol ,they should have the formula's on micro fiche  for a more reasonable price  as RS paints are very dear

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: 01 October 2018, 02:26:36 am »
Have you tried here ? http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php?setlocale=true

I have, but according to what I've found elsewhere, I'm looking for 0895 Silver #8 (S8) for the 2006 FZ6 which isn't listed.

The only place I can find that has that is in the USA and it's about £45 for the paint and lacquer, there again, that's only £3 less than RS Paint!

I'm going to look at body shop paint matching services in the next couple of days, although given I can get both paint and lacquer from Halfords for about £15, I may just take both rear sub-frames off and respray them completely with something that's close enough that it would look better than just cleaning up the rust and then spraying over that...
« Last Edit: 01 October 2018, 02:27:32 am by Grahamm »

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: 01 October 2018, 05:51:30 pm »
That's what I'd do - getting a colour that's "close enough" will do, as long as you paint the whole thing.

If you've got the time to let the paint cure for a couple of days, I'd give it a final 2 coats of Halfords Heavy Duty PU Clear Lacquer to finish the job off. I've used it when I repainted my frame, front mudguard and my fork sliders and it gives a deeply shiny and durable finish - but if you put it on before the paint has gone off, it crinkles up something rotten (don't ask me how I know  :lol )

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: 02 October 2018, 01:35:34 am »
That's what I'd do - getting a colour that's "close enough" will do, as long as you paint the whole thing.

I may well do that. I've been looking at any silver cars I went past today because I'd like to replicate the "pearl" finish, rather than just getting a flat silver.

If you've got the time to let the paint cure for a couple of days, I'd give it a final 2 coats of Halfords Heavy Duty PU Clear Lacquer to finish the job off. I've used it when I repainted my frame, front mudguard and my fork sliders and it gives a deeply shiny and durable finish - but if you put it on before the paint has gone off, it crinkles up something rotten (don't ask me how I know  :lol )

Oops!

Thanks for the advice :thumbup

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: 04 October 2018, 02:44:27 pm »
Just got back from a ride on the 1000 to Long Lane Cafe, Queensway, Telford. Some bikers I was chatting to a few weeks ago recommended it to me so I thought that I'd pay a visit. Sunny, 16 degrees. Perfect biking weather. Food was good, cafe clean and tidy, staff very friendly, plus there were a few bikers there. I shall definitely be returning. 110 miles round trip.

5LV

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7710 on: 04 October 2018, 04:30:10 pm »
Rode it for the first time since April.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: 09 October 2018, 02:52:10 pm »
A ride in the sunshine to Colwyn Bay/Rhos on Sea. Coffee and teacake at the Cayley. Quiet roads and 16 degrees.

Old-Git

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW RT - and my Fazer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: 10 October 2018, 10:25:47 am »
I put a nighteye LED bulb in fred - see the difference..... I'll try and get some beam throw pics later.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: 11 October 2018, 12:56:55 am »
Gave it a good washing with Nooj's Shiny Bike Sauce (very effective and highly recommended), then tried to get on with cleaning off the rust on the rear footpeg hangers and and repainting them.

Unfortunately the first thing I found was that the allen bolts which hold the Givi racks to the underseat pipes are pretty much solidly rusted in place, despite using Plusgas on them several times over the past few days, so on one the inner hex has rounded off and the other broke the tip off a ball-end allen key :( (I'm probably going to have to either drill them out or cut a slot in them and see if I can get them out with a flat-head or maybe impact driver.

I took the rear wheel off to give good access, but then one of the bots on the hugger snapped whilst trying to unscrew it. Fortunately the rest came out ok, so I'll be able to secure it back in place.

I then found that the drill-type wire brushes were too big to get into all the nooks and crannies, so ended up using a Dremel instead which was a bit of a faff, but did the job to clean the rust off.

After some masking tape and using a cardboard sheet to screen the bike from over-spray, I put a couple of coats of etch primer on the hangers which already look better, now I just need leave that until tomorrow and then repaint them.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: 13 October 2018, 08:04:05 pm »
Thought I'd capitalize on the good weather today, so had an enjoyable whizz down to Loomies via the A272. A coffee in the sun watching bikes come and go. Looked like there'd been some rain shortly before I arrived, then down A32 to the Admiral Drake in Portsmouth for a bite to eat and a pint. Retraced my steps back to Box Hill for a  catch up with the usual herberts.185 miles door to door on one tank of gas. I did take my time to squeeze in the last couple of litres though.

Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Anquetil

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: 20 October 2018, 03:24:29 pm »
A ride from Wrexham to the K1 Cafe, A518, near Uttoxeter. 130 miles in mild, dry weather, plus quiet roads.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: 20 October 2018, 07:35:50 pm »
Rode it until the sunset  :)
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: 20 October 2018, 10:47:33 pm »
Cracking shot Mr Sharp!  :thumbup

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: 21 October 2018, 12:12:29 am »
Got a new front tyre fitted (Bridgestone T31) and went out for a nice ride to scrub it in :D

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: 21 October 2018, 08:38:28 am »
Yes , a very good shot mr sharp......wonderfull morning here in south bucks , sun just coming up , clear sky and a light mist , great morning for a bit of photography , unfortunately iam up early to replace the fence at the bottom of the garden , but as a reward I might do as you and nip out on the FAZER at the end of the day    ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7720 on: 21 October 2018, 10:35:20 am »
Thanks - it has been tweaked a little with some HDR and extra saturation, I mostly used the phones tools so you can see the not so good HDR working as there is a lighter area around the bike in the sky and then a little work in a proper photoshop to put the blue back that the phones HDR made go muddy.I actually missed the peak sunset as I went past the lay by and could not turn around for ages. Its my favourite time of the day to ride especially in the week in the summer as I wait until the stupid rush hour traffic has gone at about 7 pm   

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: 21 October 2018, 10:39:07 am »
Think today might have to be brake caliper service day, i just looked at next weekends temperatures and it doesn't seem so appealing.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #7722 on: 23 October 2018, 05:21:57 pm »
Took the boxeye on a 100 mile bimble to newlands corner , surrey . Sun shining all the way , had a bite to eat whilst  taking in the view and then this tidy Z Pulled in.....thats another bike on my wanted list   :thumbup
« Last Edit: 23 October 2018, 05:23:31 pm by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: 24 October 2018, 01:12:07 pm »
Brakes serviced, heated grips rewired, carbs off and leak sourced. Carbs replaced, and still leaking!! 😭
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7724 on: 25 October 2018, 10:20:06 pm »
Went tp check the tyre presuures, snapped the front valve stem off. Jeez. Took both wheels out, and dropped em off at my local bike shop for new ones to be fitted. While they were off, dropped the rear shock off and gave it a thourough check and clean. All greased back up and refitted, probably re-fit the tyres at the weekend