Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:06 am

Author Topic: FJR1300  (Read 2845 times)

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
FJR1300
« on: 11 September 2017, 02:57:26 am »
Anyone own a FJR on this forum aswell if so whats it like compared to FZ1, or if not anyone rode one would be interested in points of view, thanks in advance

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: FJR1300
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2017, 06:18:29 am »
Depends on what you want to do with it - they are not sports bikes but will hustle along very quickly if needed. I had mine for 2 years/20,000 miles and it never missed a beat. There were electrical issues reported (bad earths) with some machines, but I didn't have any issues. The engine pulls like a friggin train. There used to be a very good owners forum.
Mine died when a deer run out in front of me. I was doing approx 70 ish, brown blur to my left, smack and I'm down. Forks bent back, fairing took the brunt, frame twisted. If I had been on anything smaller, with less mass, then I would have had more injuries (I received a broken collarbone).
I very nearly bought another, but decided as my shoulder was still in recovery, that I needed something lighter, hence the Fazer Thou. They do hold their value and for distance work tick just about every box.
If I could find the space in the garage - yes I would buy another.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2017, 03:34:06 pm »
Mine died when a deer run out in front of me.

Oh dear! :eek                                           Sorry :D

Please to hear you survived.  Hope the shoulder is good now.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2017, 04:39:37 pm »
When it came to replacing parts, were they deer? Y'know, did they cost a lot of doe?

Oi, someone's taken the wrong coat...VNA?

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2017, 06:09:17 pm »
who killed bambi?

Nemesis did
fire never sleeps

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2017, 06:34:34 pm »
When it came to replacing parts, were they deer? Y'know, did they cost a lot of doe?

Oi, someone's taken the wrong coat...VNA?
I bet it cost a few bucks......seriously, that's enough of the deer jokes fallow.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2017, 08:44:02 pm »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2017, 10:31:35 pm »
You say you just saw a brown blur to your left..... Was it bad visibility ? did you hit it in the reindeer ?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2017, 12:17:23 am »
Seems to me the deer was your Nemesis  :eek

In relation to the FJR  I rode one for 8 days (1650 miles) when I brought it back to Cork for a friend in 2008 from Malaga to Cork via ferry from Cherbourg to Rosslare.
Great handling bike and it has a low seat which meant my feet were not only on flat on the floor, but even my knees were slightly bent. We did the trip from Biarittz to Granville (about 60 miles from Cherbourg) in one day just over 500 miles the way we went. It had some amount of power and the torque was awesome, it would pull  like a train in any gear. When you dropped a gear without blipping the throttle properly it felt like you were applying the brakes took me a few hundred miles to get used to that.
Thoroughly enjoyed the trip, my wife loved it, but she even noticed the weight, my only issues with it were:
 1. The weight, it was just a bit too heavy for me with full touring kit. Whereas the Fazer 600 or 1000 are well within my weight limits even fully kitted with touring gear.
2. The heat when the Radiator fan came on in start stop traffic. It is worse than the FZS1000, The first time it happened was in Aluminicar  Andalucia in 35 degree heat, but once we hit the canyon on the back road to Granada all that was forgotten.  :)
 3. It only had a 5 speed box which was annoying on the long runs

We had a great fast run courtesy of the local cops when we asked for direction about 100 miles south of Madrid and the fellow I asked called one of his friends over who happened to be an off duty motorcycle cop (both with very good English thankfully as my Spanish was limited to about 10 words) and he said follow him he is going home the same way, I did not need a second invitation  :) He was riding a R1150GS with an akrapovic pipe and was clocking 115mph in places and despite his best efforts never lost me  :) a testament to the handling of the FJR with a full load. When he stopped to show us the way to go as he was going a different route his only comment was "good handling bike" I nodded with a grin from ear to ear.
 The later models  are not as bad apparently with the fan heat as there were some changes made to the fairing and the 2016 ones finally got the 6 speed box. :woot I would love to try that model out of curiosity

There were a few issues with the earlier 2003/4 one with camshaft end float knock suspension linkages giving trouble due to lack of grease and the usual corroded connectors. Engines are as bullet proof as the Fazers.
If they weighed less I would consider one myself, but limited strength in my right leg due to an altercation with the front wheel of an artic tractor unit in 2002 rules me out completely now.

If you do get one and you don't mind the weight, you won't be disappointed, just service the rear linkage regularly.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2017, 04:45:18 am »
Seems to me the deer was your Nemesis  :eek

In relation to the FJR  I rode one for 8 days (1650 miles) when I brought it back to Cork for a friend in 2008 from Malaga to Cork via ferry from Cherbourg to Rosslare.
Great handling bike and it has a low seat which meant my feet were not only on flat on the floor, but even my knees were slightly bent. We did the trip from Biarittz to Granville (about 60 miles from Cherbourg) in one day just over 500 miles the way we went. It had some amount of power and the torque was awesome, it would pull  like a train in any gear. When you dropped a gear without blipping the throttle properly it felt like you were applying the brakes took me a few hundred miles to get used to that.
Thoroughly enjoyed the trip, my wife loved it, but she even noticed the weight, my only issues with it were:
 1. The weight, it was just a bit too heavy for me with full touring kit. Whereas the Fazer 600 or 1000 are well within my weight limits even fully kitted with touring gear.
2. The heat when the Radiator fan came on in start stop traffic. It is worse than the FZS1000, The first time it happened was in Aluminicar  Andalucia in 35 degree heat, but once we hit the canyon on the back road to Granada all that was forgotten.  :)
 3. It only had a 5 speed box which was annoying on the long runs

We had a great fast run courtesy of the local cops when we asked for direction about 100 miles south of Madrid and the fellow I asked called one of his friends over who happened to be an off duty motorcycle cop (both with very good English thankfully as my Spanish was limited to about 10 words) and he said follow him he is going home the same way, I did not need a second invitation  :) He was riding a R1150GS with an akrapovic pipe and was clocking 115mph in places and despite his best efforts never lost me  :) a testament to the handling of the FJR with a full load. When he stopped to show us the way to go as he was going a different route his only comment was "good handling bike" I nodded with a grin from ear to ear.
 The later models  are not as bad apparently with the fan heat as there were some changes made to the fairing and the 2016 ones finally got the 6 speed box. :woot I would love to try that model out of curiosity

There were a few issues with the earlier 2003/4 one with camshaft end float knock suspension linkages giving trouble due to lack of grease and the usual corroded connectors. Engines are as bullet proof as the Fazers.
If they weighed less I would consider one myself, but limited strength in my right leg due to an altercation with the front wheel of an artic tractor unit in 2002 rules me out completely now.

If you do get one and you don't mind the weight, you won't be disappointed, just service the rear linkage regularly.

Great write up, really enjoyed reading it.  :thumbup

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2017, 08:55:24 am »
Just this last week have seen both police & blood bikers riding them. A bike well suited to covering ground fast,often laden with extra equipment, and with a degree of comfort & weather protection. An excellent tool for the emergency services.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2017, 09:30:16 am »
spoke to 3 bike cops in Cheshire a while back, 2 had beemers and one had a silver FJR. He said out of the 3 bikes, his was the smoothest and a cracking bike too. I was tempted at the time to get one and I was after his coz he said they were changing the fleet over. I never got to find out where they went (some auction) even after enquiries with Plod :'(
fire never sleeps

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 September 2017, 08:02:38 pm »
Thanks for all the posts, especially scotty and tommy, for the pun I guess they are "too dear"  :rollin for me just yet, need to get a ride on one before making any more deerisions :lol, ive no I deer why they aint more popular just don't see many round by us